PDA

View Full Version : Weird Stuff On My Wheel Lip

rcapi
07-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Any insight is greatly appreciated. I have a C-43 with the stock
17" AMG Monoblock wheel. There seems to be a plastic protective coating on the wheel lip that is starting to flake off.
Anyone know anything about this? I know that the former owner was Simple Green user when he cleaned the wheel.

Can I simply have them refinished and the lip polished?

It's just weird.

Denlasoul
07-13-2004, 01:01 PM
It's the clear coat used to keep the polish on the lip. If it's starting to peel, you should have them redone.

I use Simple Green on my wheels, so I have no reason to believe they have any adverse effect on the clear coat. I would suggest to use a dilution of the Simple Green just in case.

rcapi
07-13-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I suspected as much. Now I'll have to find someone to deal with this.

Thanks,

BenzMeister
07-14-2004, 05:15 PM
yours except the plastic coating mercedes uses was peeling from the entire wheel all four, I also had some road rash and a small bend in one rim, had them fixed and repainted with two coats of clearcoat, all 4 for $250. The coating mercedes uses is not a clearcoat it is more of a thicker plastic material and once it starts to crack moisture will get up under and ruins the coating. Go to the following link, and see a pick of one of the newly painted wheel:

http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3132

rcapi
07-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Wow, they did a great job. I think one of my rims is slightly bent in addition to the plastic flaking off. I'll get them refinished. Hope they come out as nice as your did. Can you recommend anyone on the left coast? By the way, I am a MA native. How's the summer going out there? Can the Sox make a run in the second half of the season?

BenzMeister
07-15-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by rcapi
Wow, they did a great job. I think one of my rims is slightly bent in addition to the plastic flaking off. I'll get them refinished. Hope they come out as nice as your did. Can you recommend anyone on the left coast? By the way, I am a MA native. How's the summer going out there? Can the Sox make a run in the second half of the season?

BenzMeister
07-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by BenzMeister

No, I don't know of anyone of the left coast, but you might emal Tom Hanson from Caliber Motors out there, I see him post on this board now and then, he is the guru of left coast Mercedes, if you can't find an email for him let me know and I will send you it.

The summer has been wet, hot and humid, I live in Chicopee, Ma near Springfield and the words Red Sox is not mentioned in public or private out here, Yankees are the team, to answer your question about the Sox, NO

mbsickness
07-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I just got my rims back from being refinished. All four had either deep scratches, gouges, or curb rash. Two of the rims no longer had the machined lip as the someone at the dealer must have tried to sand the lip and just paint the lip silver. A hack job at best. Here is one rim as it came back. I had them polish the lip vs the machined finish. The center silver was powder coated and then the whole rim was clearcoated.

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/geraldch/C36/Dsc00609.jpg

rcapi
07-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Wow.

That wheel looks great. I want to do something similar.
Got a lead as to where to get it done in my neck of the woods just this morning.

Look down the road!

mbsickness
07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Actually, the guy who did my rims is located in Anaheim....email me if you want his info.

BenzMeister
07-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mbsickness
I just got my rims back from being refinished. All four had either deep scratches, gouges, or curb rash. Two of the rims no longer had the machined lip as the someone at the dealer must have tried to sand the lip and just paint the lip silver. A hack job at best. Here is one rim as it came back. I had them polish the lip vs the machined finish. The center silver was powder coated and then the whole rim was clearcoated.

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v185/geraldch/C36/Dsc00609.jpg