PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover question

kameraguy
07-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with car covers? My Dad bought a new CRV and would like to buy one for it as it will be parked outside.

I see there are different types of material available. Does anyone have any recommendations of the best type to go with? I know they can vary in price....but I think the ones under $200 would be in our price range.

My concernes would be to get a cover which won't scratch the paint as the SUV is black. Also, is there one which can handle the occasional rain storm, but mainly for UV and heat protection for the price range?

Also, is there a good website to buy a cover?

Thanks all!

Under Pressure
07-15-2004, 12:46 PM
The best car covers are those made for your car (usually bought through dealership).

I saw one made for an Acura sit nice and tight through many wind and rain storms for long periods while car was stored. But then the universal one we bought for the Alfa Romeo we had as the vacation home car would always get blown almost completely off (except where it was tied down) when we would store it and leave the vacation home. Every time we came back, it was barely on anymore. So made to fit = good, universal = bad.

I imagine if you keep it somewhere clean, and keep car clean, it would harm the paint.

714guy
07-15-2004, 02:35 PM
i have the one from the dealer fit really nice and tight except for the body kit areas, i haven't really experienced any scratching and such with the cover.

kameraguy
07-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. i know not a lot of members use car covers so any info is appreciated.

UNfortunately (and this is so retarded), Honda doesn't make a dedicated car cover for the CRV :( So I have been researching some websites and so far I did find a few places which have taken upon the task of making a dedicated one for our car.

Now the confusing part is there are so many different types of material to choose from!

I will give a few places a call and see if they have any decent ones around $200. I guess the price will determine what material we'll get :p

Under Pressure
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey kam, try seeing what other CRV owners do or have done to find the best fitting car cover at this website...

CRV forum (http://www.hondasuv.com/main2/index.php?c=1)

kameraguy
07-15-2004, 10:37 PM
d'oh! I didn't even think about a CRV forum :p

Thanks, that's definitely the best thing to do!