PDA

View Full Version : OEM HIDs are best I know,

BongC36
07-14-2004, 09:34 PM
but they are expensive. I was wondering whether anybody here had tried installing HID kits on euro headlights. My 95 C36 has E-codes and uses H1 bulbs for both high and low beams. HID kits with rebased Philips bulbs and ballasts are less than $500 compared to $1300+ for the Bosch headlight assemblies.

Does the much-maligned US-spec DOT headlights use a single bulb for both high and low?

Thanks

nokia8860
07-15-2004, 07:22 AM
I tried that set up as well on my car. The hotspots were more visable/blinding on the e-codes than they were on the US DOT lens.

I ended up putting tape on the hot spots.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album20/DSC00090.jpg

My journey for upgraded lights went as follows...

Stock US 97 H7 lights.

Stock US 97 housing with 99.9% HID look H7

Stock US 97 housing plus philips HID retrofit

Euro 97 housing with bosch HID retrofit

OEM HID

I spent alot trying to avoid buying OEM and in the end OEM is the only way to go if you actually want improved lighting... which is why you upgrade in the first place.

Trust me save your pesos and get OEM. You're better off saving that 500 and waiting. This is one item where you want to get the correct setup.

As far as your questions about US single dual bulbs...

The early pre 96 lights uses a dual filament bulb (US approved H4 i believe. In 97 they swaped it for single filament H7)

BongC36
07-16-2004, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the reply Nokia, thats exactly what I was looking for, input from somebody who had done it before. When you put tape on the outside of the lens, were you able to attenuate the glare to acceptable levels?

Yes I am convinced that OEM is the way to go, or at least the ones from Bekker. Mucho pesos though, but my aging eyes demand it. I ordered a set of OSRAM Silver-stars (equivalent to Philips vision-plus) and will see if they help. If not then i'll bite the bullet and contact Bekkers!

Nearly got into an accident a week ago when I failed to notice a bleeding tricyle piddling along on the highway with no taillight on.

nokia8860
07-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by BongC36
Thanks for the reply Nokia, thats exactly what I was looking for, input from somebody who had done it before. When you put tape on the outside of the lens, were you able to attenuate the glare to acceptable levels?

It prevented on coming glare however i could not point the lights high enough to where it would actually illuminate anything but the bumper.

It just made a mess of things really.