PDA

View Full Version : wahhh....what happened to my car?? Video inside!

GDawgC220
07-21-2004, 04:48 PM
hey guys

CEL came on yesterday when I left work :(

it was fine last night and this morning. no sudders, power loss, etc.

today after work, it started erratic idling @ stop lights and intersections. Just jumpped a little, like if the A/C compressor kicked on.

tonight, after I washed the car and started 'er up...idle is all messed up!

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~gkong/mbworld/idle1.avi --> right click and save as.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~gkong/mbworld/idle2.avi --> right click and save as.

what could it be? MAF? O2 sensors? :(

Rocky
07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
The erratic idle sounds like it's rythmic. might be the engine might be missing but i'm not sure especialy when you said after you washed the car. make sure all the coils are popped on tigh and check the coil ends.

It also looks like the MAS too. Pull the codes and come back with them :)

GDawgC220
07-21-2004, 05:39 PM
yeah, i did was the car but not like with a pressure washer or the like. When I popped the hood, no water was inside.

You think this could be more related to the MAS? Still original one on the car, 10 years old & 143k...

Andrew C280
07-21-2004, 06:44 PM
when i got my car i washed the engine it was reving and ideling and my dealer just reved the engine warmed in up and then after a while it went away, try and heat the engine up so any water that got in any where will evaporate

GDawgC220
07-21-2004, 06:47 PM
i did drive it around for a little bit, engine was more than warmed up. Still tho, when i pulled into the garage and put it into park, it was doing the same thing :(

Tom Q
07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Same thing happened to me before. My engine even shuts down when I stop at a traffic sign. Same erratic idling. Forum members suggested cleaning the MAS.

1. Remove the MAS.
2. Spray it with brake cleaner.
3. Then spray it with Carb cleaner.

Once its completely dry, try it out and warm up the engine. If it improves a bit, then you know it could be the MAS. At first I cleaned my MAS. Of course this was temporary. Eventually, I had to change my MAS.

Hope this helps;)

GDawgC220
07-22-2004, 03:09 AM
hey tom,

thanks for the tip. unfortunately, i can't be without a car because its my only transportation so I gotta let my independent take a look @ this one. I'm just hoping it's the MAF and not something bigger than that.

i'll let you know what it turns out to be, thanks man! :)

Rocky
07-22-2004, 05:40 AM
I don't read many 4 cylinder W202's with MAS problems but if it's that old, it might be the MAS.

It could also be a vacuum leak somewhere or a vacuum hose fell off. Check the hoses.

fastmayte
07-23-2004, 06:04 AM
hey, it actually might be a bad plug, wire or coil. best thing to do is have the dealer dignose it then have your independant fix it. or if it's small, u can fix it.

GDawgC220
07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
dropped it off last night around 5:30pm but the techs were gone for the day so they're going to diagnose it today. Hopefully it won't turn out too bad.

I'll post an update once i know :)