PDA

View Full Version : How the hell...?!

MBDragracer
07-22-2004, 02:58 PM
After like 4 hours in my garage trying to change the damn headlight lenses (of all things), I give up!!!

I saw the thread for replacement of the lenses with the metal clips on post 96 cars. Very informative but unfortunately not applicable to my ride.

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight lenses on a 1995 C36 (or any '95 W202)????

There appears to be a screw on the inside bottom corner that goes through the lense assembly and that damn screw is totally inaccessible!!! Do I have to take apart the entire front end of this car to remove one screw in order to take out a damn lense??? My hood is now completely out of alignment after "f"ing around. PLEASE HELP!!:mad:

SLAMMED_C
07-22-2004, 07:47 PM
from what I was aware of.. on 94, 95, and 96 W202's the healdight lenses werent replacable and a whole headlamp had to be purchased. and on the 97, 98, 99, and 00 W202's the lenses were replacable.

so on your c36 the lense may not be replacable.. unless all were updated to be able to use replacement lenses. I think that your lense is glued to the headlamp assembly with a special sealant to stop moisture form getting into the headlight.
before you try to pry off the lense or anything, double check with the dealer again to make sure that the lense alone is replacable and you dont need a whole headlamp.

MBDragracer
07-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Slammed, thanks.

Yup, already aware of the 95 headlight assembly vs. lenses issue (what a pain in the ass!). See post:

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=38955#post38955

Apparently, the lenses are so difficult to replace because they were not intended to be replaceable in the 1995 W202, only the entire headlight assembly was designed for replacement (how convenient). There is actually a phillips head screw that MB sealed the top of so you can't remove it, how nice of them. I had to remove it with pliers.

Summary:

Given that design, it was necessary for me to remove the cross-member upon which the radiator is hung and the hood latches when closed. From there, it was necessary for me to remove the inner grill and a piece of delicate trim on each side. Then it was off to removing four bolts that hold each headlight assembly, then the trim piece under the headlight, then the headlight wiper motor from the assembly then unclip the lenses. Sounds basic but it was not rudimentary work.

If anyone is challenged with this project in the future, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Drags