PDA

View Full Version : for those that installed comand....quick question

joesc280
07-25-2004, 09:46 PM
my navigation wont fit properly because it hits the back of that big black airbox(?) that the ac comes out....so my question is...is that some sort of vent system or does it have a fan in their(approximately where the radio goes)....cause i think the only way to get around this without the navi potruding is to cut and indentation....do you think this will be safe....any help, advice, etc would be helpful....

nokia8860
07-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Depends on how you are installing it. By your post seems as if you are relocating your HVAC unit to the cointray/phone area and using the 2+ din size to install your Comand correct?

If so yes you will have to cut out part of the plastic to allow you unit to slide in fully. You willl have to reseal it as well as that is the main vent for your air so if you leave it open all your air will just flow to the back of your unit.

There is a condenser behind that plastic wall so be carefull not to puncture it when you are cutting.

If you are extending the lower portion and keeping the HVAC where it usally goes no cutting of the back is needed as it will slide in fully.

Let me know if you need any additional help.

joesc280
07-26-2004, 07:40 PM
that was the only part of the "comand" install that was left for question....i want to know do you have diagrams of exactly where the condensor lies in the black airbox....cause i have a bootleg "cd manual" and it doesn't have this info.....i want to know where is the stopping point for the necessary incisions.....or pics will do if you have....anything to help.....i really appreciate it....if it works out i will be comanded by the end of the week...lol...with the clean install....

nokia8860
07-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Sorry no picture. :(

There is enough room back there if you took a dremel to it. Just dont go poking around with a screw driver or use a mini saw youll surely hit a fin if you do.

Put some chalk on the back of your comand and slide it in place then pull it out. You will see where on that black plastic you need to trim to allow your comand to sit further back.

Other than that theres not much more too it than to hack it up. Its an irreversable mod :)

joes280
07-27-2004, 01:46 PM
i don't know why i didn't think of that before....covering it in chalk....but i went to the dealer to get a schematics on the innerworkings of the airbox...and it's definitely safe to cut.....i will try to send pics so maybe you can add this to your feature to help people in their respective installs....thanks alot again...this is just what forums are for....

MBenzNL
08-02-2004, 01:21 AM
I have installed quite a few comands in W202s and have NEVER cut the heater housing!!! which - by the way - is NOT a part of the car you just want to start cutting on...

There are better ways to make the comand fit without hacking any parts...

greetingz,

nokia8860
08-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by MBenzNL
I have installed quite a few comands in W202s and have NEVER cut the heater housing!!! which - by the way - is NOT a part of the car you just want to start cutting on...

There are better ways to make the comand fit without hacking any parts...

greetingz,

HAHAHAHA I have zee modified heater housing.

So tell us man how do you do it without cutting... a bit late for me but for others wanting to do this might be something they will need.

MBenzNL
08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Change the GPS connector in the back of the comand as that is the part that blocks the most...
I do cut off the outstanding edges that are meant for the rotary knob climate controls...bit I only cut the off to make them flush with the rest of the heater housing...after that it is only a matter of modifying the GPS connector and you are all set.

The heater housing is the last part you want to modify...it is a permanent part of the car...don´t want to cut that...

greetingz,

nokia8860
08-02-2004, 07:37 PM
lets hope joec280 reads this before he starts hacking. :p

thanks for the tip steve.

btw, where are my spare comand parts :)

MBenzNL
08-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
btw, where are my spare comand parts :)
...what parts??? I have another approx 450 comands at home...might have some spare parts in between of those...

greetingz,

joes280
08-04-2004, 04:09 PM
feast...i did the install myself....i wanted to look as clean as possible....tell me what you guys think....took me like 3hours to do once all the parts were in.....
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?url=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid133/peb576cffcb64957951e28be297de8d63/f78f9537.jpg&caption=w202nav2&id=4153382199

if anybody knows how to show pics...please feel free to do so...

nokia8860
08-04-2004, 05:39 PM
did you end up making that black bezel yourself?

joesc280
08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
it was well worth it tho....people think ti came that way because it looks so clean.....i did it this way because i couldn't afford to get the updated 1din unit right now...but the real reason is because i don't like how that would look joining the two pieces with that zebrano wood grain...if i had carbon fiber i think i would be alright...