PDA

View Full Version : some sort of "onboard computer" instrument panel

merc_lover
06-01-2003, 11:27 AM
does anyone know the part number and price for this instrument panel? i love it. i think it came with late C-class T type (familiar length) cars. really cool panel.
http://www.terra.es/personal5/conpen/panel.jpg

pnsji
06-01-2003, 11:37 AM
You need to replace your current instrument cluster to the newer instrument cluster like the one in late E Class W210 and W208 CLK.

merc_lover
06-01-2003, 11:48 AM
do i need to add/change something else in the car so that it works?? i've seen one of those panels and it can measure the cars consumption!! so can i just install that cluster and thats it?

nokia8860
06-01-2003, 12:08 PM
yep just get a 2000+ 208/210 cluster and youre set. keep in mind as you can see in the picture it doesnt fit all that well though. if you have the digital climate controll you can access things like this and top speed etc from it already.

I belive pnsji knows the sequence to bring this display up. So you might want to hold off buying a cluster if you can just get the nfo from your climate controll for free :)

merc_lover
06-01-2003, 12:16 PM
:confused: but... how does that thing measure how much gas the car is sucking per "x" miles?? i dont have a digital climate control. its analog.

JRE320
06-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Don't you need to bring it to the dealer to reset it to it's current mileage?

merc_lover
06-01-2003, 01:56 PM
i think the mileage data is stored on the car's central computer. thats why if you unplug the battery you dont lose the mileage data in the panel. so if ya put another cluster, it will just read the computer and take the data from it.

JRE320
06-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Ummmm... now this is confusing. I initially wanted to replace my cluster when I found out that I need to bring it to a dealer to reset the new cluster to read my current mileage on my car that made me change my decision to swap a new one. Now you are saying that it's only a plug and play thing.... :confused: :rolleyes: :bored:

merc_lover
06-01-2003, 03:09 PM
well.... it is just a thought.... maybe im wrong... but just think.. what would they do at the stealership which you couldnt do?? would you see a mechanic (which his main duty and knowledge is to change wheels) hacking into the cluster to reset it and setting the mileage?? i think that it should be either "plug and prey" or a simple touch of buttons. which at the stealership they would charge you a fortune to do.

JRE320
06-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I know that's why I did'nt go for it. I just don't wanna get rip off.