PDA

View Full Version : Brake and rotor question

crsh2
07-29-2004, 08:22 PM
1) How do i know or measure if my rotors needs to be change or just have it Turn? this is the back rotors
( I feel vibration to the car when braking nothing on the steering wheel)

2) My Front Brake pads probably has 40% left can i just switch the pads without turning or changing the rotor
Im tired of the brake dust.

3) Pbr Deluxe is what you guys recommend right?

Rocky
07-30-2004, 06:07 AM
I just changed my front brakes yesterday.

You do not resurface (Turn) rotors on our cars. They are meant to be replaced.

I changed mine to OEM rotors from MB and a set of Axxis Deluxe Plus pads.

zeebenz
07-30-2004, 04:02 PM
weather you want to resurface your rotors or replace them is up to you. you need to measure the thickness with a mic inorder to see howmuch life they have left. you can go to any autoparts store to see if your rotors can be cut or not, they usually check it for free, and charge about 5-10 dollars to cut. eaither way, its an easy job to do. if you have anyquestions let me know, its about a hour long job if your mechanically inclined

zee

SLAMMED_C
07-30-2004, 04:59 PM
1. You need to measure the thickness of the rotor with a micrometer.. I beleive the min limit on the rear disc is 7.3mm.. meaning if its at this number you cant service (machine) the disc.
you need to be at least 1mm above the limit to be able to machine the disc and even then sometimes they cant be machined, depends on how warped the disc is, uneven wear.
You will know if they need to be replaced by measuring them, also you can usually tell by the lip on the disc edge (the pad doesnt contact this area so oyu get a lip on the edge of the disc.. if its very deep lip.. you probably need new rotors.
And yes the discs can be machined, They can only be machined once, the only time you wouldnt machine a rotor is if it has slotted or cross drilled holes, the bit just gets chewed up when maching.. but it can be done if its turned really slow, and light cuts.

2. Depends on the front brake disc thickness.. Im not sure of the min thickness.. but it is stamped into the disc itself.. either on the face of the disc or the edge of the hat.
but yes you can just replace brake discs.. id recommend either machining if possible or replacing when putting in new pads.

3. PBR deluxe is the ish... I have them.. not that impressed with braking power.. but no dust.

crsh2
07-30-2004, 05:27 PM
As always thanks for the response.
I'll be doing this work in two weeks. I'll probably will just change the rotor, Since im not sure the history of the car and im planning on keeping this for awhile.

Thank you for the input:)