PDA

View Full Version : bad gas mileage remedies

ryhi
08-03-2004, 03:09 AM
alright pretty much ever since i got my car ive had bad gas mileage..i have replaced some stuff but still no luck..no CEL or anything either...

MAF sensor about 8 months ago
air filter about 3 months ago
fuel filter about 2 months ago

what else would cause bad gas mileage? o2 sensors? spark plugs? is there a way to clean the o2 sensors or is replacing a must?

Andrew C280
08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
driving style ?, it gets better gas mileage on the highway what are you averageing on a tank? what fuel are you using the higher the octane the better mileage you will get try some 92+ or 94

ryhi
08-03-2004, 09:08 AM
i dont punch it or anything....and i keep it in W mode all the time now. i am using 91 (thats the highest they offer around here unless i wanna get 100 octane...

J Irwan
08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i dont punch it or anything....and i keep it in W mode all the time now. i am using 91 (thats the highest they offer around here unless i wanna get 100 octane...

that's your problem right there..

"W" mode is designed for driving in slick winter condition.
What it does it start the car in 2nd gear from a stop. It is beneficial in slippery winter condition to eliminate wheel spin.
(more wheel spin is produce when the car is engaged on 1st gear).

So "W" is not an economy mode at all.

If you have the switch at "S" the car will start at 1st gear from a stop.

Engaging the car from a dead-stop in 2nd will consume more fuel as the car will have to work extra to move the car in 2nd gear.

Regardz,

SpEeDy230
08-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
that's your problem right there..

"W" mode is designed for driving in slick winter condition.
What it does it start the car in 2nd gear from a stop. It is beneficial in slippery winter condition to eliminate wheel spin.
(more wheel spin is produce when the car is engaged on 1st gear).

So "W" is not an economy mode at all.

If you have the switch at "S" the car will start at 1st gear from a stop.

Engaging the car from a dead-stop in 2nd will consume more fuel as the car will have to work extra to move the car in 2nd gear.

Regardz,

Definatly True. Also try your fuel system maybe fuel injectors, spark plugs or even get an K&N