PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my SSR wheels and Adjustable Spring Perches

speedybenz
06-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Below are the pics of my wheels, 1999 C43 and shock, spring package.

Wheels are SSR Competitions. Front 17"x8.5" and Rears 17"x9.5". They weigh approx. 15 lbs each.

Shocks are Penske's 7500 series with adjustalbe compression and rebound. They work very well and are rebuildable and tunable.

Spring Perches adjust the car for Ht. by turning that 19mm bolt that goes through the lower control arm. The perches support the Eibach Race springs 2.5" I.D.

Pic's:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kimdac/

Denlasoul
06-01-2003, 09:42 PM
I wish I knew half as much as you do regarding suspension. I'm working on it. Thanks for sharing.

J Irwan
06-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Jeff

Your C43 looks mean :)

Good job..

Maybe drop it 7mm more..

by the way how easy/convinient adjusting this perch..

also how much is the Penske shocks .. Are these also custom made shock..??

Do the have the application for MB..? I know Koni make some for MB...(W202 chassis)

Also could you tell me again what's the spring rate for front and rear..

Regardz,

J Irwan

pnsji
06-01-2003, 10:26 PM
somehow your C43 looks lower than your previous W202!!!!

speedybenz
06-01-2003, 10:31 PM
J Irwan,

Adjusting the spring perches takes about 5mins a wheel or less. You just loosen the locknut and turn the 19mm bolt to get the right ride Ht.

The Penske shocks were a custom deal, but now they should have all the specs to make additional sets. I got sort of the good buddy deal on these due to my previous Superbike Racing contacts. Penske was a sponsor of my racing efforts.

As far as droping the car more, maybe. I get the wheel alignment done on Monday and I hope to check corner weights at the same time. The corner weights will really dictate the final ride Ht.

Also, thanks for the nice comments on how my car looks.

Jeff

JRE320
06-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Very nice and impressive. 1st time I seen something like this on a Benz. Your car look very sweet and meannnnnnnnnnnnnn...... :cool: ;) :)

714guy
06-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Wow really nice rig Jeff, no useless mods there, everything is for performance. Nobody expects all that stuff on a benz. Have you considered debagding the car to make a super sleeper?? Do you still that exhuast you ordered for your last car, if so are you going to put it on?

Jason

Renn 208
06-02-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
Wow really nice rig Jeff, no useless mods there, everything is for performance. Nobody expects all that stuff on a benz. Have you considered debagding the car to make a super sleeper?? Do you still that exhuast you ordered for your last car, if so are you going to put it on?

Jason

I think it'll be even more of a sleeper if he keeps the badges on...no one will expect an AMG to handle like a go kart! Can't wait to see Jeff passing up all manner of e36, 46 M3s, and 996s once he gets on the track! Now that will be a great day for the marque.

kodiak
06-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Those perches look great, how much and where car I get them? I will the only fit the 97 and newer W202's?

~dnm

Renn 208
06-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kodiak
Those perches look great, how much and where car I get them? I will the only fit the 97 and newer W202's?

~dnm

Jeff machined them himself:cool:

kameraguy
06-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Hey, another fellow w202 on 17 inchers by choice :)

Looking good!!! Your C43 must handle like one mean mofo!

kodiak
06-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Hey, another fellow w202 on 17 inchers by choice :)

Looking good!!! Your C43 must handle like one mean mofo!

I am about to make the move back to 17" myself. Just rides better and the performance difference is noticeable.

~dnm

kameraguy
06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by kodiak
I am about to make the move back to 17" myself. Just rides better and the performance difference is noticeable.

~dnm

:werd:

speedybenz
06-02-2003, 02:30 PM
I have not tried larger diameter wheels on my cars, like 18" or 19". However, the AMG Mono II's are pretty heavy and going to the SSR 17" wheels was a noticable change.

The SSR wheels are 15 lbs for the front and 15.5 lbs for the the rear. While the AMG wheels are 25 lbs, frt and 26-27 lbs, rear.

Now that I have more power and there has been more development of high performance and DOT race tires in the 18" size I might want to try an SSR Comp that is 18" diameter. The weight for the 18" wheel is 16.5 lbs, so the increase in weight is not bad and should feel very much the same.

Tough decision, I know when I looked at wheels last year I agonized over 17" vs. 18" for like 3 months.

No really, it was AGONY.

Jeff

Denlasoul
06-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
JThe Penske shocks were a custom deal, but now they should have all the specs to make additional sets. I got sort of the good buddy deal on these due to my previous Superbike Racing contacts. Penske was a sponsor of my racing efforts.

Jeff:

Would these specs also work with H&R springs with 18 Monoblocks? I know there is a difference b/w our cars, but not sure if that would impact the shocks (and its function).

Thanks

speedybenz
06-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Denlasoul,

Yes, I think the Penskes would work with the H&R springs. I was using the Penskes when I was running the Eibach prokit and all you do is set them on a softer setting.

The Penskes have about 20-25 usable settings that are selected using the scalloped knob you can see at the base of the shock.

However there is another shock company I think we should be looking at that has an adjustable shock, 15 positions and they run about $150-$175 a shock. They look great and I understand that they work well too. The company is QA1.

Here iis a link: http://www.naake.com/services.html

Jeff

nokia8860
06-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Jeff: Club202's Race Proven Expert

:bunny:

moebiusgold
11-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Denlasoul,

Yes, I think the Penskes would work with the H&R springs. I was using the Penskes when I was running the Eibach prokit and all you do is set them on a softer setting.

The Penskes have about 20-25 usable settings that are selected using the scalloped knob you can see at the base of the shock.

However there is another shock company I think we should be looking at that has an adjustable shock, 15 positions and they run about $150-$175 a shock. They look great and I understand that they work well too. The company is QA1.

Here iis a link: http://www.naake.com/services.html

Jeff

The Penske's are about $475 apiece and the QA1 Stocker Stars are on sale for $139. The QA1's have 12 position compression and rebound dampening and the 7500 Penske's have rebound only. Rebound only might not cut it in my case. If you step up to the 8000+ series you have individually adjustable compression and rebound instead of being stuck with 50 /50. You can get all sorts of other goodies like 3 and 4 way adjustability, whatever that is. I get nervous when they don't post cost. All I can think of is $$$. 50/50 was a real good place to start on my race car but this is a streeter so? Price will probably force my hand if I can find a combo that fits properly. Hope that I don't say why didn't I buy Penske's someday:) .

speedybenz
11-29-2003, 04:06 PM
I had Penske set up my 7500 shocks so that the bleed valve is open and that allows both compression and rebound to be adjusted by the knob. The adjustment then is based on the main valve stack, so if you have 30% comp and 70% rebound you get a similar adjustment at the adjuster.

Also the 7500 shocks can be had for less than $400 each if you are persistant.

Jeff