PDA

View Full Version : Another wiper problem...

mrjones
08-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I've searched the site but it seems nobody else has run into this perticular problem. My wiper jumps/skips shortly before it comes to rest, but only occasionally. And that means it leaves 2-3 streaks EXACTLY in my field of vision.

Strangely enough, it seems to favour this trick when there's a lot of rain/water on the windshield. If I've been driving in the rain for a few hours, it even starts depositing rubber in those places, on the windshield. :confused:

I hope I'm explaining this properly - the wiper jumps shortly before it comes to rest, as if there wasn't enough water on the glass. But there is!

It also does this with a fresh blade. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me bonkers. And it makes a nasty noise as well. :rolleyes:

dilligaf
08-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Mine skips like that too, I don't know what to do .

As far as the noise, are you meaning at the time of the skip, or all the time.

You can pop off the plastic covers and lube the bars that the wiper moves on that may help. I can't find the link explaining how to do this. Someone else may be able to post it.

Andrew C280
08-09-2004, 05:49 AM
are you useing mercedes blades or aftermarket ?

SpEeDy230
08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
it sounds like that you have aftermarket blades not mercedes benz blades, there is a difference.

SLAMMED_C
08-09-2004, 07:26 PM
it sounds like that you have aftermarket blades not mercedes benz blades, there is a difference.
Even Factory Mercedes wiper blades and inserts jump or are noisey... a trick that may or may not help is using rain-x (or a product like it) on the windshield. may just stop the noise and skipping.

4banger
04-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Mine has this exact same symptom. I have been trying to find the answer for almost 9 months now. I just lubed the sliders under the plastic cover last night - no improvement. I have determined that the only place left that could be the cause is the gears and or linkage from the motor, or I suppose possibly the motor. Basically, it is like a big jolt happens when the tip is about 11" from coming to rest. If any one has ever had this EXACT problem and knows the solution please advise. I don't know how the gears and linkage are organized so I can't come up with a theory yet. Hopefully I don't need a new "gearbox" for 750.00 or whatever they are charging.

Thanks,

Mike

Snake_99
05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Had almost the same problem. To eliminate the rubber blade, fold the arm up turn on the wipers and see if it still jumps, mine did.

I had a lot of dirt under the intermediate plastic part and what looked like a heat dis colored, extentsion tube. Lubed the tube with Super Lube w/PFTE and it is happy now. To get the intermediate plastic part off is tricky. With the wiper on and the key off, cycle the key until the arm is fully extended, usually about half way on the up stroke, half way to the middle of the windshield. Pull the intermediate plastic piece down twoards the wiper motor until it stops then left up in the direction of the blade away from the windshiled. With the part off you can see the extension tube, clean and lube, clean the underside of the intermediate part. Reassemble in reverse order. Worked for me!

Good Luck!

4banger
05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Hello,

Please confirm, are you talking about your 97 C280?

When you say intermediate plastic part, are you talking about the plastic cover at the base of the arm that is sort of oval shaped, about 7"x5"?

Thanks,

Mike

Snake_99
05-05-2005, 04:52 PM
The part between the oval part and the wiper arm. Looks like only one part , but if you pulse the wiper you will see it when the arm is extend. When it is all the way extended, just remove it per previous post.

Yes, Mine is really a C280. 1997

swank
05-08-2005, 03:23 PM
My wiper was doing the exact same thing and now it ceases to function at all. Perhaps burnt motor or? It was working intermittently but now not at all. I dont want to pay for a whole new assembly, thats around 600 + service costs. Any ideas? Ill post another solution i found somewhere later today, just need to find it again. Actually it was from a member here. :)

http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/wiper.html

swank
05-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Well Ive began to take apart the assembly to lube and before hand toyed with flipping the wiper lever front/back repeadtly both fast and slow and it made a half turn. God i hope this will resolve it,