PDA

View Full Version : sl600 brake calipers will these fit on a c220 diesel???

heman
08-11-2004, 02:46 AM
you know in this previous thread about alloys close to the calipers, you mentioned you got sl600 calipers on there does that mean that these calipers if brought from a breaker can be fitted to any w202, and if so do only the calipers need changing or the piping all the way to each brake disc??? going out to anyone who knows about it, thanks

Denlasoul
08-11-2004, 08:14 AM
For the C36, brakes (caliper and rotor) were taken from the Sl600 and fitted to the C36.

Seeing that your chassis is the same, I would think it would be an easy thing to do. Keep in mind you have to upgrade to 17" wheels to clear the size of the rotor.

SpEeDy230
08-11-2004, 11:02 AM
you would be able to bolt them up because it is used in the C36 and you will need to upgrade wheel size.

misterblack
08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I've always wanted to meet the person who actualy made SL600 brakes fit on a 202.

The calipers may be the same, but there is no way you can fit an SL600 rotor on your 202.

Want proof??? Easy! If I could fit SL600 rotors on my C36, I would not have had to buy stock C36 rotors from Benz.

Go to www.brembo.com, they have technical drawings and dimensions of every rotor they make.

oh....btw...I'm talking about a 95' C36 (if you know the difference) ;)

Rocket
08-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by misterblack
I've always wanted to meet the person who actualy made SL600 brakes fit on a 202.

The calipers may be the same, but there is no way you can fit an SL600 rotor on your 202.

Want proof??? Easy! If I could fit SL600 rotors on my C36, I would not have had to buy stock C36 rotors from Benz.

Go to www.brembo.com, they have technical drawings and dimensions of every rotor they make.

oh....btw...I'm talking about a 95' C36 (if you know the difference) ;)

I just had to give benz $185.00 for each rotor last week so I'm feeling a little light in the pocket book. :(

kameraguy
08-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
For the C36, brakes (caliper and rotor) were taken from the Sl600 and fitted to the C36.

Seeing that your chassis is the same, I would think it would be an easy thing to do. Keep in mind you have to upgrade to 17" wheels to clear the size of the rotor.

I also read the 97 C36 had front brakes from the Sl600, and rears from the E420. Aside from the larger wheels, this should fit...at least it sounds like it should.

Is this true for MY 96 and older?

misterblack
08-11-2004, 07:19 PM
To answer all your q's......please visit www.brembo.com
They will have technical drawings and dimensions of rotors from the SL600 and the E420. You will notice (that's if you know the basic dimensions of a C36 rotor) that there is NO way they will fit on your hub. The Disc itself will go past the caliper deep into the wheel well.

Like I said in my last post....the calipers may be the same....along with the rotor diameter, but if SL600 and E420 rotors could fit......don't you think we would be buying aftermarket rotors that say they fit all three cars?? Instead we have to look for W202 specific sizes.

.................someone please introduce me to a person who has fit these rotors on their car.......

Denlasoul
08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by misterblack
.................someone please introduce me to a person who has fit these rotors on their car.......

I dont recall anyone claiming that they have fit SL rotors on the W202. What was asked had to deal with the use of SL600 brakes.

Now I said that the C36 took the brakes from the SL600 (not 100% sure if all MYC36's took them) and that they were fitted for use in the C36. Now, I am not sure if fitting meant a redseign of the rotor, but from your statements sounds like it is possible.

So where did the fitting of SL600 rotors come into conversation?

kameraguy
08-11-2004, 08:42 PM
To help out with the original questions of this thread, please check out 2phast's replies on this thread from mercedesshop: http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=21084&highlight=c36+sl600+brakes

2phast knows the c36 real well in the brake area as he's done a few conversions when he had one.

Rocket
08-12-2004, 04:09 AM
Only 1995 C36 has the brakes inspired from the SL600 in the front. Other model years brakes are not as good...

MBenzNL
08-13-2004, 09:47 AM
The early C36s used different rotors the the later C36s did...the offset of these 2 different discs is different...

greetingz,

misterblack
08-13-2004, 04:32 PM
After reading the posts over.....this guy wants to use bigger calipers on the same size rotor.....would you guys would actualy recomend that he does this??.....hmmmm.......maybe that's why I brought up rotors......sorry......I just figure matching rotor and caliper size would work much better!

Person who asked:
Why don't you use C36 or C43 brakes on your diesel?? If you want the size and the performance of SL600 parts.....go with something that's engineered and made to perform on your chassis. Trust me...the AMG stuff is not that bad!! :)

You can even use new style C32 calipers and rotors (has been done).....or just go aftermarket big brake kit.

For the BIG 95' C36 rotors you are looking at approx $240CAD each.....and no....you can't get them aftermarket.

There is no way to get around it......any upgrade will cost at least $1000CAD....(if you want used parts).

Plus.......It's a Benz.......don't go ghetto!!!
;)

J Irwan
08-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Only 1995 C36 has the brakes inspired from the SL600 in the front. Other model years brakes are not as good...

just to clear up on the confussion since I was in the market to uppgrade my C36 front brakes...

PLEASE PLEASE do a search on the brake upgrade for W202 chasssis ..... this have been discussed many times before..

C36 front calipers are actually an SL600 caliper with modified piston dept.
That being said you can't bolt on the SL600 brake caliper directly on your W202..!!

And as far C36's brake specifically..

The early year (1995 C36 in USA) has all the part number HWA for the front and rears. IT is specific for C36 only.

The front disc brake dimension on 1995 C36 are 320mm.

The later model (1996 and 1997 in USA) has a front rotor of 315mm.
And the rear brake are the share accross E430, E320, E500(W124)... (I don't remember exactly what other model share the rear brake with 1996-1997 C36. so go search the other post as I have listed the complete list before..)

The front brake of 1996-1997 C36 of 315mm disc brake and caliper also not share with other model eventhough they no longer have part number coded with "HWA"

And as far for upgrading the brake, I would just try to find a C36 or C43 brake for your W202 diesel if you can find a good price...

Just make sure that you will be required to use at least 17" wheels.... And some 17" of AMG replica model will not cleared the C36 brakes.... ( I almost bought 17" AMG SLK replica and they don't clear the front caliper on my 1997 C36).

Regardz,

Kühl Carbon
08-13-2004, 09:19 PM
My job used to be so easy here :( . If you are bolting SL600 calipers to the body of your car, I WANT PICS :p . Otherwise, off to Suspension with this one too ....

willpower
08-20-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan

The early year (1995 C36 in USA) has all the part number HWA for the front and rears. IT is specific for C36 only.

The front disc brake dimension on 1995 C36 are 320mm.

The later model (1996 and 1997 in USA) has a front rotor of 315mm.
And the rear brake are the share accross E430, E320, E500(W124)... (I don't remember exactly what other model share the rear brake with 1996-1997 C36. so go search the other post as I have listed the complete list before..)

The front brake of 1996-1997 C36 of 315mm disc brake and caliper also not share with other model eventhough they no longer have part number coded with "HWA"

Regardz,

That perfect! Thanks J!! I got C36 rotors and calipers put on almost a year ago, but forgot which year they were... thus I was clueless about the rotor diameter... looking for some cross-drilled fronts... better check my part # in the morning...

H3MAN
08-24-2004, 06:14 AM
alrite why is it everytime i ask a question everyone goes mad lol

anyway mister black u got to the question i asked u said if i wanted better brakes go for the c36 or c43 brakes rite, so do i just get hold of the calipers and brake pads and they will fit rite on if i take my old pads and calipers off my c220???
i dont want sl600 or anything special i just want somat better than the standard c220 brakes that my merc came with, whether it be amg or sl600 ones i dont care im sure both of them are brilliant?
so just tell us brake pads and calipers on a bigger rim than 17" will fit rite on my c220 if i unscrew old calipers off and pads, these would come from a c36 or c43 95 onwards rite....but hang on didnt someone say 95 was different to 96/97 ok now this is taking the mick......anyone????

see what im thinking about doing is getting better brakes, i thought i know breakers who have lots of brake sets from sl's and some amg ones near birmingham in UK, so im thinking better than getting new discs and pads specially designed for my car ill get the same or just a bit less better braking for like 1/4 the price so anyone tell me is it calipers and pads of a c36 or 43 bolt rite on or have i got this wrong ?

chuni959
03-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by H3MAN
alrite why is it everytime i ask a question everyone goes mad lol

anyway mister black u got to the question i asked u said if i wanted better brakes go for the c36 or c43 brakes rite, so do i just get hold of the calipers and brake pads and they will fit rite on if i take my old pads and calipers off my c220???
i dont want sl600 or anything special i just want somat better than the standard c220 brakes that my merc came with, whether it be amg or sl600 ones i dont care im sure both of them are brilliant?
so just tell us brake pads and calipers on a bigger rim than 17" will fit rite on my c220 if i unscrew old calipers off and pads, these would come from a c36 or c43 95 onwards rite....but hang on didnt someone say 95 was different to 96/97 ok now this is taking the mick......anyone????

see what im thinking about doing is getting better brakes, i thought i know breakers who have lots of brake sets from sl's and some amg ones near birmingham in UK, so im thinking better than getting new discs and pads specially designed for my car ill get the same or just a bit less better braking for like 1/4 the price so anyone tell me is it calipers and pads of a c36 or 43 bolt rite on or have i got this wrong ?
wow that made no sense at all...

Originally posted by J Irwan

C36 front calipers are actually an SL600 caliper with modified piston dept.
That being said you can't bolt on the SL600 brake caliper directly on your W202..!!

And as far C36's brake specifically..

and by "Piston Dept." I assume you mean depth? And would that mean they wouldnt work on a 124 chassis with SL600 rotors? The problem would be the SL rotors are too thick for the C36 caliper? I just picked up a full set of C36 brakes and i think i am discovering that they arent going to work. Up for grabs if anyone is interested.