PDA

View Full Version : C36 5-Speed Catalytic Converter Gone Bad

cthirtysizzle
08-11-2004, 02:45 PM
So I'm getting my stock AMG exhaust put back on and my cats are bad. Am I better off buying some Hi-Flow Magnaflow cats or getting my AMG cats professionally rebuilt/repaired? What are the differences? Any help is appreciated.

SLAMMED_C
08-11-2004, 06:39 PM
You cant get your AMG cats rebuilt or repaired.. only replaced. and at a pretty penny too.. those AMG cats arent cheap.
why do you think they are "bad"??
rattling? poor performance- plugged?
If it was my car.. Id go full custom exhaust with aftermarket high flow cats, you could probably get a full system made for hella less than the cost of just the cats from mercedes.

cthirtysizzle
08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. My cats were rattling for a while and I had my mechanic check them out and he told me that they were bad. I talked to a custom exhaust shop in southern california and they told me that I could have my cats rebuilt. There's a shop in the bay area that rebuilds the insides (or something like that) of cats that go bad and it would cost approx. $300.00 for both of them. I'd like to stay stock since the AMG exhaust is pretty sweet, but I'm wondering if anyone's got specs on the AMG cats vs. aftermarket cats.

ps. you're right about amg cats being expensive, I think they're around $1200.00!!!

SLAMMED_C
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
really.. ive never heard of having the cat honeycomb material replaced before.. well that isnt too bad.. maybe better of having them rebuilt for that price.

CKlasse
08-12-2004, 04:42 AM
S,

$300 rebuilt is EXTREMELY great price! Do it.

I usually charge $500-600 to rebuild Mercedes dual cats. And yes ANY OBDII cats are rebuildable. We do it all the time!

Rocky
08-12-2004, 08:45 AM
I had a problem with my cats as well. Got replaced under emissions warranty.

dporsche74
08-13-2004, 01:02 PM
my C36 AMG cats seem to run hot inside the cabin(cup holder area) and there is a smell(eggie) when i drive it hard,, where can i get them replaced or who sells replacement bolt ons
thanks

95 C36 AMG imperial red
86 190E 16v smoke
86 190E 16v charcoal
69 911 IROC replica royal

CKlasse
08-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Again... to rebuild a set of two, I usually charge $500-650 depending on the year of the car. Apparently someone in Cali can do it for $300. Call around!! :D

cthirtysizzle
08-13-2004, 05:30 PM
I need to confirm the $300.00 to rebuild cats price, don't quote me on that. Also, that "edgie" smell you're talking about is probably your transmission. When I drive my car hard I get a burnt/sulfur type smell and I was told by my mechanic that it's normal and comes from the transmission on our cars.

I think the reason why my cats went out so quick was because the previous owner of my car had nitrous hooked up and a powerchip. At any rate, CKlasse does top of the line work and their services and exhaust systems are worth every penny they charge if not more, I'm most likely sending my cats out to him soon.

davis449
08-16-2004, 06:31 AM
my C36 AMG cats seem to run hot inside the cabin(cup holder area) and there is a smell(eggie) when i drive it hard,, where can i get them replaced or who sells replacement bolt ons

I have the same relative problem in my C 280. It's going to the shop tomorrow to get looked at.

Alps
08-27-2004, 03:07 AM
hey guys, I had my CATS replaced (supplied by CKLASS) - cklass, i get that eggy smell, is that normal for new CATS?

I had a custom middle box to manifold part built stainless and it sounds great!

Rocky
08-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Are you still under emissions warrantee?

it's like 8 years or something like that here in Canada and the cat is covered as an emissions part.

Alps
08-27-2004, 04:51 AM
bought the cat from CKlass and had it fitted in the uk, so no warranties here!

CKlasse
08-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Alps
hey guys, I had my CATS replaced (supplied by CKLASS) - cklass, i get that eggy smell, is that normal for new CATS?

I had a custom middle box to manifold part built stainless and it sounds great!

Yeah.. that's just your engine running a bit rich and the Catalytic burning off the excess gas. :)

Alps
08-27-2004, 06:18 AM
CKlass, the guy at the custom muffler shop showed me the metal hi-flo CATS and said they were much better than the ones you had supplied, but these were £300 EACH, have you heard of them

CKlasse
08-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Yeah.. the metal cats which only have .5 psi backpressure are going for $380 in US. They are street legal outside CA or NY.

Here is a pict of the latest C43 syste w/ a couple of metal cats (bottom right hand midpipe)

http://www.budsmuffler.com/ebay/c43stg3.jpg

kameraguy
08-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by dporsche74
thanks

95 C36 AMG imperial red
86 190E 16v smoke
86 190E 16v charcoal
69 911 IROC replica royal

Sorry guys for these questions:

That egg smell...

Especially after WOT...

Means the engine is running rich, but does not mean the cats are bad, right?

Running rich...is ok/bad/no big deal but should be fixed?

How would one truly know their cats are going bad? Because I do get that eggy smell especially after WOT.

Obviously I have no clue about exhaust systems :p

Thanks for the clairification.

CKlasse
08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
As long as your AFR within the appropriate range, you don't have to worry about the CAT.

The foul smell is from the excess fuel. Tune up your ignition and injectors.. :)