PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question re: Eibach's

Tump43
08-12-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi --

I just got the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs for my car. (I found that around here in NY the roads are too damaged by frost heaves to enjoy the H&R Sport srings currently on the car, and I believe that Eibach's are more progressive.) I'm going to install the Eibach's with a friend tommorrow, but we have a question.

The kit comes with two thick springs and two skinnier springs. My friend and I do not know definitavely which springs go up front: the thicker ones or the thinner?

Luke at tire rack assumes the thicker springs go up front under the engine because of the greater weight. However, because the weight on the C43 is split 53/47, I think that the thicker springs would go in the back to deal with acceleration. What's the right answer? (I do not know if my previouse mechanic installed the H&R's correctly, by placing the the thicker springs up front).

For peace of mind, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marc

SpEeDy230
08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
It should have directions that came with the springs. My H&R's came with marking's on the spring and an paper that tells which one goes in the front.

manny
08-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Tump43

The thicker ones go in the front.
Also, if your springs have markings, in conjunction with part numbers, they may say VA xxxxxxx & HA xxxxx.
VA = Vorder ackse ( front axle )
HA = Hinter ackse ( rear axle ). ;)

Tump43
08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys for the answers!! Especially the German translation. They put my mind at ease for this semi-DIY effort.

I will have a set of H&R Sport Springs for sale tomorrow that have between 10K and 15K miles on them. First $100 bucks takes them.

They should fit any 202 but because of engine weight I would think that they would only be appropriate for C36's C43's and C280's.

I'm keeping my extra spring pads OEM #3 & #2 -- and will use the #5's up front and #4's in the back. This was the only set up with the H&R's that produced a reasonably level car with the semblance on a finger's width t'wn tire and fender. I'm hoping that with the Eibach's I get an additional 1/4 inch (6mm) of clearance.

Thanks,

coolcarlskic43
08-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Tump43
Thanks guys for the answers!! Especially the German translation. They put my mind at ease for this semi-DIY effort.

I will have a set of H&R Sport Springs for sale tomorrow that have between 10K and 15K miles on them. First $100 bucks takes them.

They should fit any 202 but because of engine weight I would think that they would only be appropriate for C36's C43's and C280's.

I'm keeping my extra spring pads OEM #3 & #2 -- and will use the #5's up front and #4's in the back. This was the only set up with the H&R's that produced a reasonably level car with the semblance on a finger's width t'wn tire and fender. I'm hoping that with the Eibach's I get an additional 1/4 inch (6mm) of clearance.

Thanks, Hey whats up Marc,it's Carl .I see you're switching to the eibachsLOL:D .I just put mine on(prokit) with the Bilstein sp and I love them.My car came stck with #2 pads all around.I was very surprised.The car sits pretty damn low with me barely being able to get 1 finger between front wheel and fender and the back was even lower. I couldnt get a finger between at all.I'll be using perhaps # 4's in the bac.I'm still anxious to see your car.I've just been busy with my house and my BMW projects.Take care.Carl

Tump43
08-14-2004, 07:24 PM
I love the Eibach ProKit -- cornering is just as flat as with the H&R's but a lot more comfortable -- my wife doesn't think/feel as if we are taking the corners as quickly as we are. Obviously, this lets me enjoy the car more when she is in it, and its still a blast when I am alone at WOT.

I also removed the Turbine rear muffler and reinstalled the stock AMG muffler. The noise from the Turbine was too much for me, my wife and the neighborhood. The BMS combination race cats, magnaflow glass packs, custom y pipe and AMG muffler sound fantastic -- just like the new AMG C55. I test drove two of them last week. They are nice, a little more civilized than the C43 but, the new C55 is not so much faster, if at all, than my modded C43 to justify the expense. The new C55's have a little more low rpm power and the steering wheel button/paddle shifting is fantastic. I do like running on the C55's stock 18" AMG wheels since they are a little more comfortable than my 17" 's and the Eibachs. (My set up, however, is much more comfortable than the C43 stock set up and the car handles a lot better with a lower center of gravity and, not to mention, enjoys vastly imporved looks. The Euro C43 is 1 inch lower from the factory than the US model due to Federal Bumper Height Regulations.)

The #5 pads up front are too much, leaving a two finger gap. I will switch to #3's or #4's when I have the solid sport line lower front control arm bushings from the 190E 16 valve installed on my AMG. Danny at MRP told me that they would fit and would work to significantly tighten up the steering over the AMG hollow control arm bushings. Phil at MercedesShop.com (the parts ordering guy) looked up the part number for me and sold me the kit for about $80.00.

If you guys are interested, let me know and I'll post the part number and contact info. However, I would advise waiting until after I get these installed to make sure that they actually fit and work better.

Thanks Carl for letting me know about the #2 pads up front. I definately will not use those. We in NY need at least 1 finger clearance up front to deal with the pot holes and eliminate all rubbing. I may even go for a 1 and 1/2 finger gap. We should definately get together soon Carl.

With #4 pads in the rear, the Eibachs leave a gap of just barely one finger and the wheels looked tucked under the fender. I may install a 5mm or 10mm H&R or Eibach spacer to correct this visual problem. I know installing a spacer will make the rear wheels stick out more but, does this effectively increase or decrease the offset?

Also, I believe that I will be installing the EvoSport under drive pully set soon and will thermally insulate my air box (I may even dremmel out the air flow inhibiting ribs). Any input or opinions regarding such mods from this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,