PDA

View Full Version : How exactly to go about lowering

Taplin06
08-13-2004, 12:16 PM
I am very interested in lowering my 95 C220, it looks great up close but from far away it has a whoooole lot of clearance under there. :(

I have searched through dozens of topics about lowering but they didn't exactly answer my questions. I want to know how exactly to go about this.

I have 17in chrome rims on it right now so that might be an issue. I pry want to lower it around 1.5 in if possible? (has anyone done this, any pics?)

My local Mercedes-Benz mechanic says he can do the job but I would need to buy a "kit"..whatever that means. What is the "correct terms" I would need to tell him for what I want done?(if that makes any sense).

How much $$ am I looking at for this job also?

Thanx!:)

Tump43
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
You need to buy some lowering springs: H&R sports 1.4 inch lowering; Eibach ProKit 1.2 inch lowering; Voltgand or others (?). Do a general search of the forum and you will find what members have used.

You also need to change your shocks to a set that will be valved to deal with the lowered springs. Generally, members use Bilstein Sports or other more expensive and exotic shocks. Penske & Koni adjustables come to mind.

Luke at TireRack.com has most of this stuff and you are looking at about $250 to $300 for lowering Springs (maybe less if you shop on ebay) and about $400 or more for shocks (depending on what you get).

Installation costs will depend upon your shop's hourly rate or your abilities. Generally, replacing the shocks and springs together should take about 3 hours (more or less depending upon the shops skill and unforeseen complications encountered, eg. rusted on stuck bolts, stripped threads, etc). On the east coast I have paid between $250 and $500 total for installation of both items. Others on the forum have had this job done for a lot less. It is not that complicated, but to do the job well you will need a proper spring compressor, preferably a hydralic lift and various wrenchs, sockets and lubricants -- sometimes a torch is needed and an air powered socket driver is a great thing to have.

Good luck!