PDA

View Full Version : Replace main SRS computer?

htfan1
08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
The SRS light on my 1995 C220 is on constantly.

The dealership now tells me there is a problem with the main SRS computer (fault code #01 - I believe). It cannot be reset and must be replaced. They're estimating $800+ (ouch!) to replace.

I can get a used SRS computer from a local salvage yard for around $200, but I need to give them the last few digits off the existing unit in my car. It is located under the center floor console in front of the shifter.

I would like to try replacing it myself. Should I be concerned?

How difficult is it to remove the center floor console?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

htfan1
08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Any thoughts out there? Any will be appreciated!!!!!

Or am I stuck... working with the dealership?

htfan1
12-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Well... I did it!

I located a replacement SRS computer through the internet (with a 90 warranty). Installed it myself (took 20 min). Then took it to a local shop to test the system and reset the codes.

It works great!

Saved myself around $700!

joeyskates
12-29-2004, 08:38 AM
I have the same problem on my c280, where was the computer and did you get it through a place that could get more or someone who just happened to have one? Thanks.

htfan1
12-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by joeyskates
I have the same problem on my c280, where was the computer and did you get it through a place that could get more or someone who just happened to have one? Thanks.

I'm glad to help! (I would hate to think I went through all the trouble and research for myself only.) The SRS Computer is located in the center console behind the ashtray. The part # for the Computer in a 1995 C220 (aka. Air Bag Sensor) is 000 820 81 26 [09]. I would verify the specific part in your car before ordering it.

I used GetUsedParts.com to request a part search. And received several responses from savage yards all over the US with the part ($200 to $350). I ended up going with Sambucci Bros in NY. (Ask for Sammy if you go to them.)

The battery should be disconnected when you replace the part. And you should take it to a local shop to test the system and reset the codes with the replacement computer.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Jeff