PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP! what is P0161 FAILED 02 SENSOR?

MBATF
08-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Well...while back the Dealer told me that one of my o2 sensor is lagging and now has failed... But i do not remember which o2 sensor is the bad one and on my service statment it states that
""check engine light is on P0161 FAILED o2 Sensor"

is the P0161 error code?
if so can any one tell me which one it is? and even teh part # for teh 02 sensor i need?

thanks!

MBATF
08-24-2004, 11:34 AM
P0161- Downstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater circuit fault - Bank No. 2

That what i got....so which one is it?

THanks

Eurosport
08-24-2004, 12:44 PM
i think that's for the second 02 sensor the one AFTER the cat
that's the one that usually goes bad

MBATF
08-24-2004, 02:06 PM
yes. Passanger side after cat sensor...

Now...where the hell can i find it for cheap? i can so far only find the sensors for the pre cat ones...

Anyone know where else i can get it for around $90?

Thnaks!

Eurosport
08-24-2004, 03:14 PM
i got mine from importec
www.importeccatalog.com
it was 120ish? something like that

fastmayte
08-24-2004, 07:47 PM
u can get the universal one (same as OEM but no connector) for like 60 bucks from oriely ( as they said over hte phone, 150 for oem). i'd rather get it in a local store cuz i think they come with warranty, hence, less hassle.

Rocket
08-25-2004, 12:20 AM
I just replaced mine on my C36 and it really sucked. We had to drop the exhust to get the damn thing off. Then We had to use a chaser to get rid of the threads becuase the thing was so stuck!

Going back to when the car was built it has 90k and looking at the service history and what I did I can see that the O2 sensors have been replaced four times. Not very reliable. O2 sensors are rated to last about 90k-100k...

1SIKBNZ
08-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Just curious what are the signs that you might have a bad o2 sensor??? thanks!

Eurosport
08-25-2004, 02:35 PM
you don't have to take the muffler off to replace it
yes the 02 sensor is in a very bad spot and hard to get to but all you need is a special sensor tool from Shucks or whatever to pull it off really easy, but for sure you need to have your car raised on a lift so you have enough space to get to it.

signs of bad 02, of course check engine light will come on and will throw you the exact code when you read it in obdII, rough and inconsisten idle, loss of power or feel of it, sometimes smelly fumes from exhaust since not correct burning is going on since bad reads from sensor, etc.

manny
08-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
Just curious what are the signs that you might have a bad o2 sensor??? thanks!

It starts with an increase in fuel consumption & eventually a Check Engine Light. ;)

Rocket
08-25-2004, 04:46 PM
I had the mercedes tool for it... I had the one car in a hundred with a siezed sensor... :(

Originally posted by Eurosport
you don't have to take the muffler off to replace it
yes the 02 sensor is in a very bad spot and hard to get to but all you need is a special sensor tool from Shucks or whatever to pull it off really easy, but for sure you need to have your car raised on a lift so you have enough space to get to it.

signs of bad 02, of course check engine light will come on and will throw you the exact code when you read it in obdII, rough and inconsisten idle, loss of power or feel of it, sometimes smelly fumes from exhaust since not correct burning is going on since bad reads from sensor, etc.

manny
08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Rocket

Going back to when the car was built it has 90k and looking at the service history and what I did I can see that the O2 sensors have been replaced four times. Not very reliable. O2 sensors are rated to last about 90k-100k...

Yeah.....some people like to replace them for no reason, other than guessing it may solve another problem. ;)