PDA

View Full Version : What about putting a larger engine in our W202s: V6 320 or V8 500 ?

C280Sportster
08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
At these prices it's probably cheaper to just go get a C43.

But let's say a 320 (or maybe a 3.7l) could be had in the $2000 range, wouldn't that be a cheap upgrade?

I've swapped out engines in american and japanese cars before, no problem. How hard can it be with a Benz?

(500) could have a problem:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918568016&category=33615

Price is steep (320):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7918620948&category=33615

And I could always sell my engine to someone with a 230.

kameraguy
08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
The engine swap would be one step, then upgrading any drivetrain components for the added stress. So like the tranny would be another consideration for example. Kaching!!

C280Sportster
08-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by kameraguy
The engine swap would be one step, then upgrading any drivetrain components for the added stress. So like the tranny would be another consideration for example. Kaching!!

I think our trannys are rated to 330 HP.

I wouldn't be suprised if MB (in older MBs and non-AMGs) used the same tranny in all the models from the C to the S (S500 only has 302 HP) and just changed the rear axle gear. I think the C43 had a it's own fluid cooler instead of sharing the radiators.

And we wonder why MB has so many tranny issues. I know today's AMG have beefed up trannys.

I'm really only looking at 230-250 HP, I would love to get my hands on a 320 motor for, like. $2000.

J Irwan
08-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by C280Sportster
I think our trannys are rated to 330 HP.

I wouldn't be suprised if MB (in older MBs and non-AMGs) used the same tranny in all the models from the C to the S (S500 only has 302 HP) and just changed the rear axle gear. I think the C43 had a it's own fluid cooler instead of sharing the radiators.

And we wonder why MB has so many tranny issues. I know today's AMG have beefed up trannys.

I'm really only looking at 230-250 HP, I would love to get my hands on a 320 motor for, like. $2000.

C36, C43 has different tranny than the rest of the C Class.
They have different part number assigned to it.

As far the tranny issue that entirely different story...

The same with the E55 and E320 the tranny is also has different part number.

Regardz,

kameraguy
08-26-2004, 05:17 PM
'zactly. The AMG cars defintely have the transmissions either swapped from other cars (C36 has an SL tranny for example) and re-worked by AMG, or the purpose-built AMG trannys are beefed up for the added torque. Either way, the trannys are designed to be up to the added stress.

Your idea is great, don't think i'm trying to discourage you. Just keep the other items in mind, that's all :)

What would be interesting is to confirm what the guys who swap a w210 E55 engine into a w202 do for the other items. They are basically doing what this thread is about. I can't remember if they change the tranny, or start with a C43 base (upgraded tranny from AMG) to begin with....

C280Sportster
08-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
C36, C43 has different tranny than the rest of the C Class.
They have different part number assigned to it.

As far the tranny issue that entirely different story...

The same with the E55 and E320 the tranny is also has different part number.

Regardz,

Here is how MB does it's tranny part numbers:

http://mercedes-benz-parts.com/mercedes_benz__transmissions.htm

They may have different numbers, but the trannys aren't "really" that different. I studied and worked on American trannys and axles for years (back in my jeep days). US car/truck trannys were interchangable to a certain degree. Every 4x4er was out to put the strongest tranny and axles on their ride. There is nothing special about an auto tranny. With the right kit I could mount GM truck tranny on a Mercedes.

MB trannys have been researched, here are some quotes for a person who took the time to go inspect a few MB trannys.

[Quote]

"All of the new cars use the 722.6. Does not matter if it is a S600 with a W137
V12 engine or a CL55 with the AMG V8. I would need to do a little research to
see if the amount of clutch plates is more with the bigger engine. As far as I
know, the difference is in the programming of the trans control unit."

[MB Tranny info]

"So, to summarize, the 722.6 is a common transmission design across many MB
models except that they change/add a few internal parts to handle engines
with huge amounts of torque. The interface and overall design is held
constant. Makes it easy for the mechanics and rebuilders as well as being
able to amortise the design over the entire range of cars"

It's pretty well known that the basic MB auto tranny can handle over 300HP (about 330 or so MB says, but who knows the truth the way MB tranny's fail). And many a C43 has lost its tranny before 80,000 (magic number). Upgraded? Sure it was, but not enough...

I won't get near 300 hp (I wish, right!) So I'm in the clear.

One guy (same guy) counted friction plates in MB's tranny, here is some of what he saw:

"I went and counted the friction discs in a 722.6 in a C230K and the 722.6 in
a CL600. K1 has 3 in the C and 6 in the CL. K2 has 4 in the C and 6 in the CL.
B1 has 2 in the C and 4 in the CL."

There is no magic science to what Mercedes is doing, even with their AMG line. Without a doubt of the lower performing Mercedes are using the same parts of the high powered ones. It cost effective. Hence I can increase my power and still be more reliable than a C43 or other AMG car. Sure their are limits, but I'll never reach them. At lease not without spending $10,000 and in that case I would buy an AMG model.

But thanks for your concern
:cool:"

alhacker
08-26-2004, 09:38 PM
well i reasrched this topic alot and went to alot of scrap yards well what u need is the following.... my consern is s500 V8

well u need the

engine + ECU + radiator w/fan + wiring harness
transmission + ECU + the differintial
harder suspension in front atleast
a big brake kit will aslo need to be installed...

the prices here for stuff like that is quite affordable but no tech will be able to do the swap they wont go near such an upgrade with a 10 foot pole.... parts for around 7000$ but labor is gonna cost.. i also heared that upgrading to the 320 engine is not worth the hassel especialy from a c280 id consider a 430 v8 or a 500 v8

SpEeDy230
08-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I would just buy the C43, rather that doing a huge motor swap that will cost you in the long run.

speedybenz
09-02-2004, 08:35 PM
What is the bore and stroke for the V6 C280 and C320?

Now you need to find someone who will raise your RPM limit to at least 7000 rpm.

Jeff

speedybenz
09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
The C43 exhaust valve weighs 88gm with a 7mm thick stem and a head diameter of 1.610". So the goal to to find a lighter valve that will allow a more aggressive cam