PDA

View Full Version : when i should change my the spark plugs?

aroppi
08-27-2004, 07:10 AM
hi guys!! i'm using a 1994 C280 and i've a question about spark plugs.
when should we change the spark plugs? currently i'm using the Original Mercedes-Benz spark plugs. i think it's not Platinum.

aroppi
08-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Ah!! a typo! should have no "my". sorry!

SpEeDy230
08-27-2004, 11:57 AM
always use original mercedes spark plugs. Platinum plugs are not good for your car.

fastmayte
08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
hey, why shouldn't we use platinums, i've been using them for 20k miles now without any probs. any concerns?

by the way, i change plugs every 30k

SpEeDy230
08-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Well like I replied in previous posts about this subject, I was told by several MB Techs and Parts manager that platinum plugs run too hot for our motors. The spark energy is way too hot for our motors can take. They say only run OEM Bosch Plugs.

CKlasse
08-29-2004, 12:23 PM
MB techs will always say so because of the liability reason. If they are too hot, then get a set of colder plugs.

I ran Magnecor 8.5 on all of my cars and truck and bosch platinum. On the 03 Passat 1.8T and 00 SLK230K, I notice faster acceleration.

;)

09-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Dear Guys, since I want to change my spark plug keeping the OEM suggestion You have pointed out, do you confirm that I can utilize the same Bosh type also if I will buy not directly from MB?
Please answer me to the following item:
1- I've just received the Haynes Manual that provide the Bosh part number for the spark plug, but because mine is a kompressor (not covered by the manual) I want to check before, dismounting an old one and purchase them to a whatever autocar part looking for Bosh product. Is it acceptable?
2- Do I really need to tighten the new spark with the prescribed torque setting suggested in the manual? Does exist an adaptor for this? I kow there existe at least two different spark size, which one?
3- Do I have to check and/or regulate te electrode distance also in the new spark plug, as illustrated in the manual, or the new spark plug are already settled for MB engine?

Sorry if some question are a little bit stupid.

Thanks a lot:)

09-08-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm sure some of You Guys is so kind to answer me.

:cool: :)

nokia8860
09-09-2004, 06:06 AM
1998K: If youre unsure what sparkplug to get its best just to remove yours and bring it to the store. Very quick to do. Also any auto store should be able to tell you what plugs you will need as well.

Yes you will need to tighten per specs. I think its like 20lbs or something like that. I dont know the size off hand but if you bring the plug to the store with you you can tets it there.

You will want to check the gap and not rely on how it comes out of the box.

:)

09-09-2004, 07:02 AM
nokia8860 thanks a lot for your reply.
A part that I was wondering how it will be a calibrated tool for the spark plug, because I always saw normal spark plug wrench without possibility to regulate the tightening force; please clarify me what do you intend with item 3: I HAVE TO check the distance also if I buy new spark plug to the dealer?

Sorry if I'm too boring.

thanks

nokia8860
09-09-2004, 07:48 AM
its a spark plug gap tool. They all look different but are only a few dollars at most auto stores. When purchasing your plugs ask them for the tool they should point you to the right direction.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/media/LIS-67870.jpg

If you are unsure on how to use it they should be able to help you as well. :)

09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks again You are really nice.

Please since my Haynes Manual do not cover kompressor engine do you know if the 1mm gap suggested for the other 4-stroke engine are also requeste for kompressor spark plug?

Otherwise I'm forceds to ask to the Dealer but I'm sure they will tell me to bring the car to them, no info is free available from them:(

Hi;)

pmerrill
09-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
Thanks again You are really nice.

Please since my Haynes Manual do not cover kompressor engine do you know if the 1mm gap suggested for the other 4-stroke engine are also requeste for kompressor spark plug?

Otherwise I'm forceds to ask to the Dealer but I'm sure they will tell me to bring the car to them, no info is free available from them:(

Hi;)

Try going to www.bosch.com and looking up the plugs for your car. In the parts list it quotes the bosch part number for the plug and the gap required. These are the plugs merc use. In addition, you can get a torque wrench that has a dial that reads the Newtons of force you are applying. It's a wrench with a long handle and has a 1/2" drive for a socket. Check out
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040212606&r=2074&g=111 for a picture. There are better ones but these will work fine.

The spark plug socket you need is a 5/8" I believe. You normally need an extender bar so that you can get the socket down to the plug.

If you can find a mechanic who changes plugs all the time he can show you how to tighten the plugs without a torque wrench. Normally is about 90 degrees past the point where the plug starts to bite. Not too tight otherwise the thermal expansion can crack the plug.

Personally, I use NGK resistive plugs because I've found the non resistive bosch plugs cause too much interference on the radio. And watch out for plugs that are too hot, they can play havoc with the ECU because it can get all confused about the sparking and either advances or retards the timing too much. This can cause knocking that can then damage the engine. Most of the plug companies, like NGK and Bosch, will recommend plugs for the car, unless you really know what you are doing, I'd stay away from non recommended parts.

Rocky
09-23-2004, 05:33 AM
I'm lost. If the manual says to do it that why are you second guessing it? Why did you buy the manual in the first place?

This should be in REPAIR or ENGINE section.

CKlasse
09-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
I'm lost. If the manual says to do it that why are you second guessing it? Why did you buy the manual in the first place?

This should be in REPAIR or ENGINE section.

As he said... Haynes does not cover Kompressor engine. :)

09-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by pmerrill
Try going to www.bosch.com and looking up the plugs for your car. In the parts list it quotes the bosch part number for the plug and the gap required. These are the plugs merc use. In addition, you can get a torque wrench that has a dial that reads the Newtons of force you are applying. It's a wrench with a long handle and has a 1/2" drive for a socket. Check out
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040212606&r=2074&g=111 for a picture. There are better ones but these will work fine.

The spark plug socket you need is a 5/8" I believe. You normally need an extender bar so that you can get the socket down to the plug.

If you can find a mechanic who changes plugs all the time he can show you how to tighten the plugs without a torque wrench. Normally is about 90 degrees past the point where the plug starts to bite. Not too tight otherwise the thermal expansion can crack the plug.

Personally, I use NGK resistive plugs because I've found the non resistive bosch plugs cause too much interference on the radio. And watch out for plugs that are too hot, they can play havoc with the ECU because it can get all confused about the sparking and either advances or retards the timing too much. This can cause knocking that can then damage the engine. Most of the plug companies, like NGK and Bosch, will recommend plugs for the car, unless you really know what you are doing, I'd stay away from non recommended parts.

Thanks a lot for your reply. At this time I've just bought spark plug (at dealer) they are Bosh and part.number correspond to the metal label in engine bay near radiator. Being with 3 electrode, as stated by Bosh web site (thanks also for the web site that I've looked) they do not require gap adjustment.
As far as tools I've bought yesterday a calibrated wrench, ad a.s.a.p. I'll do the work with a spark plug adaptor in 5/8".

Thanks a lot for your help.

Marco:) :)

09-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Up-dating.

So this w-end I changed spark plug, as said I've already bought calibrated wrench and new spark from dealer,....
I want to note following item:
1) three spark plug where well tightned, may be too much, because the worring creaking noise un-screwing them; forth one was instead a bit slacken for me. Calibrated wrench was really usefull.
2) mine kompressor, but I belive all the latest W202 (may be only the 4-cil.) have 2 HV coil over 2 spark plugs which serve also the remaining 2 spark plugs. There is a black box (HV) to un-pluglug over two spark plug directrly connected with another HV plug and in my case one of this were not able to pull out the under HV plug (connected directly to the spark plug). I utilized a small plier to to extract it, as result the internal metal connection were a little bit damaged (deformed) I adjusted a bit to permit the electric connection to the HV coil. All work fortunatelly but I was really anxious. Does someone have similar experience?

Hoping you can read my elementary explanation.

Thanks for your reply:)

PS: I know this should be in repair section but I only continue a previous post, if someone want to move is OK for me but please do not interrupt.