PDA

View Full Version : who has a s/c'ed C43, anyone?

moedigga
06-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Im askin this question at all forums I know. Just want some feedback from a person that uses this vehicle on daily basis. Dont care who did the mod just what its all about. Thanks-MOE

Denlasoul
06-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Soon, I hope. :)

98c43amg
06-27-2003, 03:43 PM
forgive my ignorance. What is "s/c"?

moedigga
06-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Super Charger!! No problem-MOE

98c43amg
06-27-2003, 04:21 PM
ah, thanx.

My car just went out of warranty. Thinking about it, but the $18K price of entry [installed] will probably keep me out.

moedigga
06-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 98c43amg
ah, thanx.

My car just went out of warranty. Thinking about it, but the $18K price of entry [installed] will probably keep me out. Take a look at myhps.com, they have just released a s/c for our c43 and it has been installed on somebodies 43 in Washington. They have not posted numbers yet but im thinkin somewhere between 375-400hp at the wheels. For total price of 8500 installed. Not bad compared to 18000 for competitors. We'll soon see what it is all about!!-MOE

Denlasoul
06-28-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm tryin to arrange a meet with the owner of the s/c C43 here in WA. If I do, I'll post my findings.

DLS

moedigga
06-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I'm tryin to arrange a meet with the owner of the s/c C43 here in WA. If I do, I'll post my findings.

DLS :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Denlasoul
07-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Update:

I'm gonna arrange a meeting with the s/c C43 owner in the next week or so. Hopefully, I will be able to give a report. :)

moedigga
07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Sound good, cant wait, want one now!!!-MOE

98c43amg
07-09-2003, 05:25 PM
saw them and I got excited. but realized there's no intercooler with that product.

Still, I'm very earger to hear the persons comments. Ask him if he gets any pre-ignition/knocking if you can.

best regards

Deepchord
07-09-2003, 11:48 PM
A super charged C43 is too scary for my tastes.

I drove up to "Black Hawk" at 8,043 feet above sea level
with 19 inch AMG Monoblok II's on monday with a little C230 4 cylinder and passed everything in site including a 740i.

I could not even begin to imagine the roar and torque of
something so insane as a supercharged C43.

NO THANK YOU! Scary:(

moedigga
07-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Deepchord
A super charged C43 is too scary for my tastes.

I drove up to "Black Hawk" at 8,043 feet above sea level
with 19 inch AMG Monoblok II's on monday with a little C230 4 cylinder and passed everything in site including a 740i.

I could not even begin to imagine the roar and torque of
something so insane as a supercharged C43.

NO THANK YOU! Scary:( Anyway HPS system only puts about 350-375 at rear wheels so its not that scary, but more fun than 230, sorry-MOE

BrabusCClass
07-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Make sure you take pics when you see the s/c C43. Curious minds want to know! :D

HPS
07-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 98c43amg
saw them and I got excited. but realized there's no intercooler with that product.

Still, I'm very earger to hear the persons comments. Ask him if he gets any pre-ignition/knocking if you can.

best regards

98c43amg,

Don't overlook our C43 supercharger system, due to lack of intercooling. Many of the top tuners in the world such as Saleen, Jackson Racing, and Stillen don’t use intercooling. And there is a reason why.

Here is alittle fact about intercooling. There are a number of factors that affect the temperature increase that occurs when the air is compressed. Firstly, the higher the boost pressure, the greater will be the temperature increase. As a rule of thumb, if you are using a boost pressure level of more than about 0.5 Bar (~ 7 psi), an intercooler is generally a worthwhile investment. Of course depending on how the system was designed.

Secondly, the lower the efficiency of the compressor, the higher the outlet air temp. However, it is difficult to accurately estimate the efficiency of the compressor and even if such a figure is available, it doesn't necessarily apply to all the different airflows that the compressor is capable of producing. In other words, there will be some combinations of airflow and boost pressure where the compressor is working at peak efficiency - and other areas where it isn't. While a well-matched compressor should be at peak efficiency most of the time, in some situations it will be working at less than optimum efficiency. This will change the outlet air temperature, usually for the worse. This is why it’s critical to have an efficient supercharger system.

An intercooler will do two things - it will lower the temperature of the intake air and at the same time, cause a slight drop in boost pressure. The latter comes from the restriction to flow caused by the intercooler. Some restriction is unavoidable because the flow through an efficient intercooler core needs to be turbulent if a lot of the air is to come in contact with the heat exchanger surfaces. However, if the pressure drop is too high, power will suffer. A pressure drop of 1-2 psi can be considered acceptable if it is accompanied by good intercooler efficiency. But will it run efficient? If not you can lose more psi. Picture this we run intercooling on our 4-psi system, due to backpressure we lose 1 psi. Yes, the temperature might cool 5-10 degrees but you lose anyway from 20-25 horsepower. To solve this problem, you’ll reduce the pulley, generating more boost, to compensate backpressure to 4 psi. So nothing is really accomplished except the compressor is spinning faster and the cost for more hardware.

Even if you run warm at 50-80 degrees as long as your AFR is maintain and fuel management, detonation will not occur. I think in the past many hot rods by-passed fuel management and ultimately burn up a piston or cylinder.

I mention before turbo are driven by exhaust gas, and run high boost in the low teens 10-14 and need intercooling due the extreme temperature.

On many occasions we ran 5-6 PSI by reducing the pulley on my s/c 2000 E430 sport and only saw temperature increase of 35 degrees. Nothing! I mention before, it’s all about airflow.

98c43amg
07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by HPS
98c43amg,
Don't overlook our C43 supercharger system, due to lack of intercooling.

[I just found this response.]

You know I haven't!

Thank you for the informative response. I've been seeing it a lot lately.
(and thanx for not jumping all over me for mentioning the "i" word. :D )

Norm C32
08-02-2003, 04:19 PM
HPS, are you allowing customers to install their own systems?

Does the package include software and are there any mechanical(injectors, FPR...)fuel changes?

Thanks,
Norm