PDA

View Full Version : ECU Replacement Question

Rocket
09-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know if the 202 ECU's are coded to the car? For example can I just swap out a used ECU from annother car without any issues or do I have to have the dealer or someone with Mercedes Star software re-program something?

heman
09-13-2004, 03:46 AM
hahahahaha
ur experiencing same thing i experienced two years ago, heres a tip do not f**k with the ECU lol

my car came without a ECU and ENGINE
it depends on your car

93-96 w/o laser key means ecu is only coded to ur engine not ur car

96/7-onwards with laser key means ur f****d, have to make sure u get the exact one for the car,

lucky lucky mine was a 94 normal keys without chips in the keys so i could find one so long as it was out of a c220 it was ok e.g. elegance, sport didnt make a difference

remember ecu and engine must be compatible sometimes some of the loom that goes from the ecu into the engine some of the thermostat sensors and that into the engine have to be changed but u can go to dealers and do that not a problem,

to program u can spend but there is no need to if anything there will only be one odd thing wrong like on mine, everything works perfectly accept my wiper can work even when the car is switched off, which can be programmed but i know to switch the wiper off so what the hell

so u know dont get put off with what dealer says make sure u just get it to start and drive and do all the normal things if that works everything is ok i mean it can be programmed further

cya
hope it helped

heman

Rocket
09-13-2004, 04:50 AM
I have a 1995 without the laser key and used a 1996 ecu without the laser key but my car won't start. The ECU is for my same type of engine.

H3MAN
09-15-2004, 06:21 AM
I THink wat u need to do is just check whether that ECU just needs programming, like u said but u know its funny beause i heard it would not start but u know on the 96 they started putting alot of things on new and on the 95 it was old like 93-95 is one type 95-97 was the other and it was usually late 95's onwards that had laser keys and the alarm wired up to the ecu, check out the alarm try asking a normal alrm person to look at how to disconnect the alarm on it as it can be the immobiliser?

other than that ill try to find out give me the part numbers for ur old and new if u can so i can see if i can get any more info and try calling merc up and asking them the one u need if u was to buy one off them get the part number ok?

ill reply when i hear more

kind regards
H3MAN

Rocket
09-15-2004, 02:53 PM
That could be it for sure. It makes sense. The 1996 had the flip key and the 1995 did not. Can you call Merc up and see what would need to be changed in the programming to make it work?
The current 1995 ECU part number is HWA 202 545 95 32 and the ECU I have off the 1996 is HWA 202 545 87 32.
Thanks for all your help! I'm not sure who I need to call to find out. Does Merc have a tech support line or is that just for dealers?

Originally posted by H3MAN
I THink wat u need to do is just check whether that ECU just needs programming, like u said but u know its funny beause i heard it would not start but u know on the 96 they started putting alot of things on new and on the 95 it was old like 93-95 is one type 95-97 was the other and it was usually late 95's onwards that had laser keys and the alarm wired up to the ecu, check out the alarm try asking a normal alrm person to look at how to disconnect the alarm on it as it can be the immobiliser?

other than that ill try to find out give me the part numbers for ur old and new if u can so i can see if i can get any more info and try calling merc up and asking them the one u need if u was to buy one off them get the part number ok?

ill reply when i hear more

kind regards
H3MAN

heman
09-16-2004, 02:36 AM
you know what you need to do merc aint got no tech support line they got a parts department who are a bunch of w****rs who never help, because you know when my car was not starting they didnt help at all, reason mine did not start was not because i did not buy the rite ecu it was because i had a engine placed aswell and there was no oil in that engine and the car ticked over but it did not fire up, and also one relay was missing by the ecu, now i put the relay in and i put oil in there at the same time and it was one of the two that did it but i thought to myself u know wat im not gona check it to see it mite just not start up again lol

anyway more to ur question u know i dont think that ECU will even work if programmed u know because i think because of the flip key its got a laser line locking system u know the alarm thing and u know better than merc who could probably tell u better is a breaker of mercs, because u know when i was asking around mercs just gave me the part number for the new ecu i needed and u know it was not the same one as was in my car from my chassis number it was like a one fits all, so this one fits all was a ecu that was for all 202's for c220 diesels with any options and they would recommend you programme it to your options now i found a guy who was a breaker and he said if u get the flip key ecu it wont start because the ecu waits for a response through the loom from your alarm system the flip laser line crap, now on the older ones mine and urs the keys are not flip they got no chip in the key like the flip key ones have a chip and its waiting for the response of the chip, so i reckon even if u get it configured it still wont do it but id try checking the alarm first because i rekon if u short the alarm to just respond to the ecu all the time the car will be ready to start all the time trust me get an alarm guy to check it if the ecu is out of e.g. a c230 and its going into a c230 but its out of the flip key one if the alarm guy can rewire the wire coming out of the ecu for the alarm to loop it can be done because the guy just pulled the wire out for mine for the alarm and it didnt respond and looped it i dont know how but our alarms r the crappy old ones not the new ones with the chip in the key so it mite be a good idea to get someone down in the meantime tell me what model c class it is and what year and also what year that ecu is from ill get my ecu number an fone the same breaker up to see if he comes up with anything i prob wont be back on the forum till monday so ull have to give us some time

hope this helps

kind regards

H3MAN

H3MAN
10-07-2004, 05:13 AM
rocket i went down to dealers to pick up some bits and spoke to the one and he said same thing u need the brand new ecu from mercs, but i spoke to another breaker and he said just get the one out of the newer car, because the old one cannot be reprogrammed,so it looks like u need to part ex it for the one of the rite year car with the laser key thing, make sure u make this obvious to who ur gona get it from ok,

hope this helps man

Kind regards

H3MAN

H3MAN
10-12-2004, 04:18 AM
yep just to confirm that i called the breaker i got my ecu from and he said exactly the same thing, the one with the laser key is the one u need he said and it might still need programming if not from the same year vehichle,
so same year car
same model e,g diesel or petrol
and make sure its laser key one

hope this helps

Kind regards

H3MAN