PDA

View Full Version : what engine oil do you usually use? 0w-40, 5w-30, 10w-30, etc....

bobcat
09-12-2004, 08:01 PM
what engine oil do you usually use? 0w-40, 5w-30, 10w-30, etc....

The Mobile 1 0w-40 that my dealer uses seems a bit thin and it
makes the engine slightly noisier... I only let them change the
oil during A/B-service. In between those services, I replace the
oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. Whenever I put in Mobil 1 10w-30,
the engine is somewhat quieter...

jnolte
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
hmm

i use 0w-40 and 5w-30

but i think 0w-40 is thicker than 5w-30?

i might be wrong but isnt

the first number how thick the oil is when cold and the second number is how think it is when its fully warm?

Linh
09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
The Mobile 1 0w-40 that my dealer uses seems a bit thin and it makes the engine slightly noisier...

If AMG engine recommended used 0w-40, i would definitely use it too. I've been changing mu oil at every 5K miles with Mobil 1 0w-40. When ask which oil is thicker, you must look at the second number to determine which oil is thicker. So 0w-40 is thicker then 10w-30. Here's an example how to read the oil. 0w= represent oil weight when oil is colder and 40= represent when oil weight when oil is hot. Here's the rule of thumbs. When you first start up the engine in the morning, you want the cold oil to be as thin as possible so it will flow faster to engine parts. And once the engine reach it normal running temp, you want the thicker oil to prevent from engine thermal break down. 0w-40 is the best oil on the market for protecting start-up and thermal break down. With that being said, picking the right oil is really based on weather. For example, if i was to live in Arizona during the summer when temperature could reach as high as 120F, i would pick 15w-50 over 0w-40 because the 50 would give me a much better protection from thermal break down under extreme hot weather over the 40. But then if i was to live in Denver during the winter when the temperature is so cold that cold freeze up the engine parts, i would pick the 0w-40 over the 15w-40 because the 0w is much thinner the 15w, so it flow much faster to engine parts to protect from metal to metal grid. I hope you didn't get confused. It sound almost like i going around it circle.:D

10w-60(Castrol/BMW M5 oil)

Do not use 10w-60 on an engine that is not design for that thick of an oil. If you do, you will lose hp and gas mileages big time because it create too much drag/friction on engine. The only engine that i know of using 10w-60 are BMW M engine and Ferrari Enzo engine. The Enzo oil cost $60 per qt. !!!

bobcat
09-13-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Linh
I

Do not use 10w-60 on an engine that is not design for that thick of an oil. If you do, you will lose hp and gas mileages big time because it create too much drag/friction on engine. The only engine that i know of using 10w-60 are BMW M engine and Ferrari Enzo engine. The Enzo oil cost $60 per qt. !!!

The reason I brought up the Castrol 10W-60(for BMW M5) is
that a lot of MB dealers overseas use it.(particularly ones
dealing in Lorinser and Brabus-modified Mercedes vehicles)
In fact, 10W-60 is shown in the MBUSA approved oils list
for the USA.(the one dated 07/99 in my owner's manual pouch)
MB does not specifically say "Castrol 10w-60" but the only
oil in that grade is only sold here by the BMW dealers for the
recent M3 and M5 engines....

Paul
09-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I use mobil 1 5W-50,in the 230k I can hear the lifters slightly,I would have thought "50" would have been thick enough when hot??

its only done 92kms,maybe its had a hard life....:(

Paul
09-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Linh
If AMG engine recommended used 0w-40, i would definitely use it too. I've been changing mu oil at every 5K miles with Mobil 1 0w-40. When ask which oil is thicker, you must look at the second number to determine which oil is thicker. So 0w-40 is thicker then 10w-30. Here's an example how to read the oil. 0w= represent oil weight when oil is colder and 40= represent when oil weight when oil is hot. Here's the rule of thumbs. When you first start up the engine in the morning, you want the cold oil to be as thin as possible so it will flow faster to engine parts. And once the engine reach it normal running temp, you want the thicker oil to prevent from engine thermal break down. 0w-40 is the best oil on the market for protecting start-up and thermal break down. With that being said, picking the right oil is really based on weather. For example, if i was to live in Arizona during the summer when temperature could reach as high as 120F, i would pick 15w-50 over 0w-40 because the 50 would give me a much better protection from thermal break down under extreme hot weather over the 40. But then if i was to live in Denver during the winter when the temperature is so cold that cold freeze up the engine parts, i would pick the 0w-40 over the 15w-40 because the 0w is much thinner the 15w, so it flow much faster to engine parts to protect from metal to metal grid. I hope you didn't get confused. It sound almost like i going around it circle.:D

the first number is not a reference to oil viscosity,it is a reference to how hard the engine is to crank when at a cool temperature,see the motor-oil-bible ref.

Paul
09-13-2004, 04:24 PM
if you have say 5W30, it is not true to say 5 is the wieght when cold,and 30 when warm,how often do you see oil get thinner as it cools??additives are combined to produce lower viscosity at lower temperatures even though the oil is thicker,the 5 is a classification to esstablish that oil will flow adequately at cold temperatures to protect the engine,the to numbers have very little in commen.the 30 is the kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees C
hope this helps....;)

ricerokets4life
09-13-2004, 04:38 PM
hmm i think im using 7.5 quarts Mobil 1 0W-20 and 1.5 quarts 5W-30

i hope this isnt gonna make my engine blow up.. i couldnt find 0W-30 or 40.

Paul
09-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Hey I think everybody who cares about the performance and life of your engine should read;

Paul
09-13-2004, 05:38 PM
here my linky .......http://motor-oil-bible.com/mob-2-2-04.pdf ;)