PDA

View Full Version : painting my own interior dash trim kit

Superpnoy
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Hey all,

has anyone tried doing this? Taking out the whole interior dash trim kit and painting it yourself? i plan on doing it...steps i will take 1. remove the whole trim kit 2. Sand it 3.primer 4.put interior vinyl paint...any suggestions? please let me know before i go about ruining my trim kit lol

THanks
Carlo

Superpnoy
09-15-2004, 10:52 PM
NEW IDEA ALSO!!!!

What if i buy for example Louis Vuitton fabric and just take out the dash trim kit and like hupolster it with louis vuitton fabric???what you guys think"?

crsh2
09-16-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Superpnoy
NEW IDEA ALSO!!!!

What if i buy for example Louis Vuitton fabric and just take out the dash trim kit and like hupolster it with louis vuitton fabric???what you guys think"?

I dont think that would look right. The re-sale value of the would go down i think.

But whatever floats your boat. If you do decide to do it, Take some pics.

Superpnoy
09-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by crsh2
I dont think that would look right. The re-sale value of the would go down i think.

But whatever floats your boat. If you do decide to do it, Take some pics.

i think imma just paint it lol...i dont plan on reselling this car...

Denlasoul
09-16-2004, 09:43 AM
It really depends on the color and the finish product. Color really makes or breaks the interior. In my opinion, color is a hard thing to match with a MB interior. Typically, painted interiors look cheesy. Takes away from the classic look of the interior.

The quality also plays a huge role. If you were to paint the interior, definitely get the pieces clear coated. Makes it look so clean.

Paul
09-16-2004, 11:54 AM
I once did my interior with a vinyl paint...it looked ok in a ricerocket,but I could not do it to the benz...it would loose class,but if you did a full custom interior in leather....
;) well if you do it make sure you post us all some pics:)

Superpnoy
09-16-2004, 04:49 PM
hmmmm maybe i can find a used trim kit at a junk yard or ebay and try it out first...so atleast i still have my oem just in case...i will take pictures when i get it done

SpEeDy230
09-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I think it might look good with the louie. I have gucci on my headrests and i like the look.

Superpnoy
09-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by SpEeDy230
I think it might look good with the louie. I have gucci on my headrests and i like the look.

you think? because im talking about my dash trim kit....silver gucci will match my car

antb_ball7
09-16-2004, 08:55 PM
do you guys know a good hook up on those fabrics

detroit202
09-17-2004, 09:18 AM
please post pics after and if it was worth the work !

thanks

Eurosport
09-17-2004, 10:13 AM
if you have 2 tone interior on the seats/steering etc. i wonder how nice would silver trim look like instead of wood/carbon, remember personalize it the way you like it just make sure it's in good taste ;p

ricerokets4life
09-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Paul
I once did my interior with a vinyl paint...it looked ok in a ricerocket,but I could not do it to the benz...it would loose class,but if you did a full custom interior in leather....
;) well if you do it make sure you post us all some pics:)

it looked "ok" in me eh? :D

SLAMMED_C
09-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Ive decided to do red and black swede, red swede on the door panels and seat centres, black swede headliner. pics will follow when I get around to actually doing it!!

I dont know how well the dash painting would work.. but it may look ok if done right.. I know foliatech advertises the dash paint with an slk interior and the 2 tone red/black dash.
I dont think they actually painted it mind u!.. but I guess it might look like that when done.

Paul
09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
it looked "ok" in me eh? :D

lol......oops:D

tinter101
10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
You guys ever heard of photo-genesis?
There is a process that they can do to your trim pieces that
basically changes what you have now into whatever you want
without using an overlay or adding any thickness to them.
I,ve seen it, and i'm goin to get it done over the winter. You can
change your wood into CF, brushed aluminum, marble, granite
or different type of wood and you can pick any color you want
of each. I'm getting blue granite to match my blue/black leather.
They can even do exterior parts and under the hood. I want to
see how much interest there is in the club and maybe get a
discount.

nokia8860
10-14-2004, 06:06 PM
any samples online?

tinter101
10-14-2004, 06:09 PM
It is called photo-genesis. I saw the samples in person and
it's awesome. They can change your dash pieces into whatever
you want them to be. CF, marble, granite, brushed aluminum or
a variety of other woods. You get to choose any color you want
to go along with the style. Exterior pieces and under the hood parts can also be done. I'm going to get this done over the
winter. My dash pieces are going to be blue granite to go with
my blue/black leather and I'm thinking of getting my engine cover
done up in red CF. They can redo the door pillars too.
How many people are looking for this? We can get a discount
as a club.

nokia8860
10-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Ive moved your reply back into this thread to keep things together.

I understand you saw it and it looks good but for members like myself that have never seen it a website or photos of the process would help us visualize what this company does. I knjow for myself I would be uneasy doing a group buy on something I have no clue of.

If you know they will be at sema let me know the company name or even better their booth and I will check them out and report back here.

Edit: Its a good thing I love search engines....

Hydrographics is the process is called.

Hydrographics (which is also called Immersion or Water Transcription is a process of applying decorative finishes to rigid and semi-rigid products including, but not limited to, plastic and metal substrates without wrinkles, air bubbles, or blemishes. The process requires three steps in most cases (treat plastic, base coat and hydrographics film coat), however, molded substrates made of Polystyrene and ABS may only involve two steps depending on the specific material.

http://www.daltekinc.com/images/photos/hydrographic-atv-fenders.jpg

For more information on this process check out daltekin.com

Looks pretty cool almost like decal transfers for models... im sure its more than that but hey maybe ill get mr.buff fingers to do this!

!!!!!NJ Drive
10-14-2004, 11:24 PM
i would be interested in this...depending on the $$$$...i wouldnt mind having my own unique interior:banana:

tinter101
10-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Check out this site, club202 members get 20% off. Call Kimberly.

www.driving-image.com

Superpnoy
10-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by tinter101
Check out this site, club202 members get 20% off. Call Kimberly.

www.driving-image.com

SWEET!!!!! thanks bud

C230KSPORT00
03-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Whatever happened to this? I know this is like a 4 year old thread but I wonder what happened. Has anyone had this done, cause I would be really inerested in it. Thanks!

tinter101
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I had it done and turned out great. I did blue carbon fiber
(simulated). It looks just like the factory CF trim but any color you want. You have to remove all the trim from your car and send it to them and trust them, that's why everybody didn't do it. For me it's local and I just drove over there and saw the shop. They did an awesome job, I highly recommend them. Later,Tinter.

AirPost
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the whole set?

C230KSPORT00
03-04-2008, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by tinter101
I had it done and turned out great. I did blue carbon fiber
(simulated). It looks just like the factory CF trim but any color you want. You have to remove all the trim from your car and send it to them and trust them, that's why everybody didn't do it. For me it's local and I just drove over there and saw the shop. They did an awesome job, I highly recommend them. Later,Tinter. Have you posted any pics in the Members gallery? Cause I couldnt find any. I would really like to see it. How many peices did u custom paint and how much. Thanks.

tinter101
03-04-2008, 04:29 AM
E-mail me directly and I'll send some pics, for some reason I can't post pics on this site. (scott_blackout@yahoo.com)
For all my pieces it was about $600. In my opinion worth it, I get comments on it all the time.

STATUS
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Superpnoy
NEW IDEA ALSO!!!!

dont you dare. that would be horrible. and besides it wouldnt be real LV any way