PDA

View Full Version : Sloted and cross drilled rotors on ebay

waiyip
09-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Check it out

Click Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7924577476&category=33564)

What u guys think ?

ryhi
09-26-2004, 12:06 PM
i have read somewhere that slotted and drilled rotors arent as good as just slotted or just drilled.

C280 JR
09-26-2004, 02:50 PM
i bought mine slotted and drilled form ebay, ATE brand, they rock..im happy with them

Elvir

tinter101
09-26-2004, 06:53 PM
My performance guy told me that the drilled rotors have a
problem with cracking and strongly recommends just slotted.
That is what I'll be putting on next spring.

Ashkan's C280
09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
the guy is a power seller, so I'm guessing he won't fuck you over, but I could be wrong...

mr. gatsbury
12-07-2004, 10:22 PM
so what's the crowd's prefrence? Slotted or Drilled? What brand?

mr. gatsbury
12-18-2004, 03:52 PM
I need new rotors ASAP. I was thinking I heard brembo was the preference on the forums. I want them slotted or cross drilled what ever is better. I just don't know what the good stuff is out there someone help please I need them before the holidays. Just point me in the right direction...

Thanks guys

manny
12-18-2004, 04:03 PM
This is what I'm running.
http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/sophio/quote.jsp?clientid=mercedesshop&cookieid=1CZ1EI18Q1EL16WJRL&baseurl=http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/&partner=mercedesshop&year=1999&product=N1000-54976&application=000326641
Zimmerman is an OEM supplier, as well as on of the premier european manufacturers. ;)

Denlasoul
12-18-2004, 08:44 PM
IMO, slotted rotors are better than cross drilled. Slots help clean the brake pads and may be stronger than drilled.

I say may be stronger because it depends on how the rotor was made. Some companies buy solid rotors and drill the holes themselves, which can comprimise the strength of the rotor if not drilled properly. The best drilled rotors are the ones casted with the holes and not drilled after the rotor is made.

mr. gatsbury
12-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Manny, those Zimmerman's look nice. Why have I been hearing slotted are better???

Den, where are the slotted one's you are talking about? I can't seem to find any slotted, just drilled. Do you know a good place where I can view some diff kinds of slotted rotors?

manny
12-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
Why have I been hearing slotted are better???

I don't know.
How many performance cars have you seen lately with slotted rotors?
AFAIK the're all equipped with drilled rotors.
Boy, the world is full of theories & rumours. ;)

Here are some slotted rotors for you: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/index.jsp

mr. gatsbury
12-28-2004, 10:00 AM
I think I want brembos. A lot of people seem to run them and I've heard nothing but good stuff. Wilwoods are really nice to but I didn't see applications for mercedes, I emailed them. Where is a good place to buy some brembos at a good price??? Where did most of you get your rotors?

BenzMeister
01-06-2005, 12:32 PM
disk are overkill. There aren't any better on a street car then the stock. Also the more holes and slots in them, weakens the disk. They have been known to crack on some people. I would go for slotted brakes before these things. The Zinc coating doesn't make them stronger, it just prevents rust on the disk until of course the Zince wears off. I know I've been there and don't that. If Mercedes wanted our cars to have these they would have come from the factory. Even the AMG version only has slotted.

Renn 208
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
disk are overkill. There aren't any better on a street car then the stock. Also the more holes and slots in them, weakens the disk. They have been known to crack on some people. I would go for slotted brakes before these things. The Zinc coating doesn't make them stronger, it just prevents rust on the disk until of course the Zince wears off. I know I've been there and don't that. If Mercedes wanted our cars to have these they would have come from the factory. Even the AMG version only has slotted.

I agree with your point that "slots only" are the way to go for max performance. All of the modern race cars that I've seen run slots only.

However, there are a number of MB cars that come with "drilled rotors" stock, including C, S and CL classes, from 500s to 65s (non-AMG and AMG alike). Brake performance is a big topic and depending on a person's needs, many factors need to be considered. If a person wants a regular day-to-day use rotor for aesthetic reasons, I see no reason to shy away from drilled rotors.

BenzMeister
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
for whatever reason they want drilled rotors, they should go with a known brand, like brembo's etc. Some retailer's drill holes in regular rotors and pass them off as real drilled rotors, this method only weakens the metal. The proper way is to cryo freeze them and then expose them to heat very quickly to strengthen the metal. I got stuck years ago from a company, who claimed their rotors were regular rotors that someone drilled a bunch of holes in and didn't bother to even sand of the burrs, I returned them but never got my money back. Not a ebay purchased, this happened long before eBay existed.

tinter101
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
A couple of times now in here I've read that AMG makes replacement rotors with slots or cross-drilled. Is this true?
Is there anything I can get from MB that will work on my C43?
The parts dept. said all that was listed was the solid ones
that I have and mine are shot. I guess what I'm asking is if
there's another model Benz with slotted rotors that will work
with my '98 C43?

Denlasoul
01-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by tinter101
The parts dept. said all that was listed was the solid ones
that I have and mine are shot.
Buy the stockies and send them out to have them slotted. :)

BenzMeister
01-07-2005, 04:24 AM
them drilled, unless the place has the right equipment to strengthen the rotors after drilling. Slotting doesn't weaken them.

tinter101
01-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the info, I never thought of doing it that way. My
brother-in-law can do this for me where he works. Cool.