PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket keyless entry for 1995 C220

htfan1
09-26-2004, 02:21 PM
I researching installing an aftermarket alarm (Clifford) on my 1995 C220. However, there seems to be a slight conflict in the documentation available on wiring for keyless entry.

The general vacuum lock information mentions a single "central vacuum lock" wire that changes polarity depending on lock status. There is a diagram documenting how to cut this wire and incorporate 2 relays to make the keyless entry fuction. (I can't find this wire.)

However, the specific wiring info for my C220 on many sites (like www.the12volt.com) mentions two wires (I've found these wires.):

Power Lock:
BLACK (-)
DRIVER'S KICK PANEL

Power Unlock:
BLUE (-)
DRIVER'S KICK PANEL OR TRUNK

NOTE: I did some testing. Both wires rest at 12 volts and go to 0 volts when driver side key turned for lock or unlock.

What wires and diagram should I use?

Thanks,

Jeff

ShollyC220
09-26-2004, 03:00 PM
They have a nice after-market system made by www.bergwerks.com - this system is made specially for the vaccuum locking system.

htfan1
09-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Thank you ShollyC220.

It looks like a decent keyless system on www.bergwerks.com.

In addition, I just received some good information from another site that said the locking system on this model funtions like a "negative pulse" system.

If I apply a 3.5 sec pulse to ground on the blue wire it will unlock and the same on the black wire for lock. It seems so simple! (I'm going to test this with a fused link.)

I don't know why this information is not easy to find.

Jeff

Tom Q
09-27-2004, 09:04 AM
I've installed an aftermarket alarm too. Do a research and check all the questions I posted, including the problems I've encountered. I may be able to help you with the door pins and the lights.

htfan1
09-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks Tom Q!

Did you find the door lock/unlock will work with a pulse to ground? (I beleive on '94 and a newer a 1 sec pulse is all that is needed.) It looks like I don't even need a relay.

How about the light flash? I have the wire color info for the light switch harness, but haven't placed a meter to it yet.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Do the parking lights flash with a + or - signal? Is a relay needed?

Jeff

Tom Q
09-27-2004, 10:38 AM
I'm using 1 second pulse. I also tried 3 seconds and it really didn't matter. Mine is a 95 C220. At first I researched on how to hook up the lock/unlock feature directly to the vacuum pump. I found a lot of threads on this. Fortunately, my pump had a keyless entry system previously hooked to it. I took out the old system and just tapped on the existing wires.

Door pins - hook it using the front and rear passenger side doors. I think it is the gray/pink wire for the front, if I remember it right. Or, you can always trace it to the door. The front and rear door pins use separte systems but both pins will also control the right side doors. Hookig it up there will also control your doom lights when you arm/disarm.

Lights - I didn't want to mess up with the light switch since we have a system that controls the 2 sides. You will need some relays. Instead of putting relays, I tapped it directly to the parking lights. Since I run wires to the pump (trunk), I used the rear parking lights. Parking lights, dash lights blink when I arm/disarm but there are a few "missing" lights that don't light up which I don't mind anymore.

Your alarm will have an auto lock/unlock feature. Make sure you turn this off. ;)

If in case you don't turn-off this feature, try arm and disarm quickly and see what happens:D

Tom Q
09-27-2004, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tom Q
[B]
Door pins - hook it using the front and rear passenger side doors. I think it is the gray/pink wire for the front, if I remember it right. Or, you can always trace it to the door. The front and rear door pins use separte systems but both pins will also control the LEFT SIDE DOORS. Hookig it up there will also control your doom lights when you arm/disarm.
[B]

htfan1
09-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Great info Tom!

Did you find that if you attach the alarm light output to the parking lights in the trunk, the front parking lights also light up?

I'll have to grab my meter a take a look this weekend.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Tom Q
09-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Yup it does. Your plate lights though will not light

htfan1
09-28-2004, 03:10 PM
By the way, how did you get through the firewall? Did you go through the fuse box?

If so, how did you run the wire out of the fuse box into the engine compartment for the siren?

Tom Q
09-29-2004, 09:38 AM
since all my wires are in the front passenger side, I looked for an opening behind the compartment. There is a thread on where to put the siren. I placed mine inside the engine compartment but it will sound-off loud. One suggestion is behind the bumper