PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone, it's been a while since I

BenzMeister
10-02-2004, 08:02 AM
posted, but I have a question: The dealer told me my front wheel bearings need to be replaced. I have had a shimmey in the front end for a while, had the wheels balanced and it was better, but still there. The dealer thne replaced the steering damper, still have the shimmey, now it's the bearing, Cost is not the problem all this is under warranty. The a 99 C280 has 45K plus miles, I find it hard to believe the front bearings are worn, there is some place in the wheels on both sides. The dealer said these bearings can't be adjusted are a press fit and get this, have no grease. How in the heck can you have wheel bearings with no grease? I also mentioned to have them check the lower control arm bushings as I understand these are a problem. Anyone have wheels bearings go at this mileage. I've owned quite a few German cars and my wife drives a 94 Audi with 106K miles and the suspension has never had a failure. I wondering if it could be something else?

Also, the dealer told me my front pads are worn about 65% and should be replaced, but the want over $200 to replace pads, so I am going to do this myself. I have read on a couple of forums you should always use Mercedes pads, anyone running a different brand, as I hate the dust problem.

Thanks!

JRE320
10-02-2004, 10:28 AM
I got the same problem as you. I recently had my four tires change, had the steering damper, upper control arm, ball joint, tie rod end assy and all bushing replaced. It could be your wheel bearing even though it got 45k miles in it. It depends on the road surface too. I'm currently using the carbon kevlar and I'm happy with it. I've been using the carbon kevlar for years now and they're dust free. ;)

nokia8860
10-02-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by BenzMeister
I have had a shimmey in the front end for a while, had the wheels balanced and it was better, but still there.

Swap the rear wheels for the front and see if it still has the problem. Or use the spare. Your wheel (not rim) may be out of round and have a flat spot.

BenzMeister
10-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
I got the same problem as you. I recently had my four tires change, had the steering damper, upper control arm, ball joint, tie rod end assy and all bushing replaced. It could be your wheel bearing even though it got 45k miles in it. It depends on the road surface too. I'm currently using the carbon kevlar and I'm happy with it. I've been using the carbon kevlar for years now and they're dust free. ;)

I've been told changing the pads are a snap, what is the procedure, do you remove the caliper so on, or do can they pads be removed with the caliper mounted?

thanks!

JRE320
10-02-2004, 03:19 PM
As Nokia said try swaping your tires in the back and see if it changes. That is recommended by Topline however my tires are staggered so I can't swap them.

I don't know if you got the 2 piston or four piston. But for the front
pads I take off one piston and lift the caliper up. Then you insert the new pads. ;)

BenzMeister
10-03-2004, 01:15 PM
did have them rebalanced yesterday at the suspension shop, and the shimmey is better but is still there. The tech that did this also told me there is a lot of play in the right front wheel, the left front is not to bad. He also said the bearings are probably going. I asked him about the lower control arm bushings and he said visually they look OK, not crushed and the material looks OK, but he also said since the car is under warranty have them change the bushings also. One think he did mention no one else has, he asked if I had the right bolts on the wheels, I said yea, they were on the car when I bought it. He suggested to have Mercedes make sure the correct bolts are on the wheels?? Odd comment, I thought??