PDA

View Full Version : Rear Headrest Issue!!

neema12
10-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Hey, heres the issue-

Rear headrest wont fold down when I click the button, it simply makes a clicking sound.

My rear window defroster dosent work.

My vacume pump makes hissing noises when I start the car because of a leak.

What should I do, are these all related? I want to fix the problem, so please give me advice on how to. I already have the enitre trunk taken apart and almost 60% on the car in my garage, so simply tell me where to look. Also, no connection on the vacume pump is loose, nor the doors. I am not sure about the headrest. Thx

nokia8860
10-04-2004, 08:06 PM
I dont think the headrest issuse is related to your vaccum line problems.

If there is a hissing you have a leak that can only be fix by narrowing down the offending line and repairing it.

Check to see if your headrest motor is getting current. Remove the rear cover of the seat. There are two screws at the bottom of the back seat cover. Unscre these and the cover will come off. You will see the head rest assembly/motor. Hook a multimeter to it and check if its getting power. Also...

As for your headrest does it go up? If it goes up then your motor is not broken but the contacts on the seat adjustment needs either cleaning or replacing.

You'll have to remove the seat adjustment from the side panel and take it apart, carful not to loose the ball bearings. Once remove clean the contacts and reassemble.

I have found with problems with powerseats in our cars its usally the switch to go before the motor.

manny
10-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Not sure of HIS model & year of car but, on my 2000 C 230 K, the rear headrests have to be lifted manually & will go down when you press the button on the dash. ;)

nokia8860
10-04-2004, 08:31 PM
d'oh i jusr read the part where he said rear

hahah well nevermind what i said as im in the wrong part of the car.

I think the line for the rear head rest is under the rear shelf so you will have to pull that off.

me taking off the shelf (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1461&highlight=headrest)

Andrew C280
10-05-2004, 04:42 AM
just to clarify; the rear head rest do go up with a motor or are you refering to the front head rest, if the back head rest go up buy motor I think mine are broken, it dose retract by pressing the button on the dash

manny
10-05-2004, 08:37 AM
You have to lift the rear headrests BY HAND.
They only go DOWN with the button. ;)

Tom Q
10-05-2004, 10:00 AM
95 C220. Do my rear headrest go up with the switch or manually?

Rocky
10-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Tom Q
95 C220. Do my rear headrest go up with the switch or manually?

read the post above yours.

nokia8860
10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
LMAO i got everyone playing with their headrest for nothing.

Btw, if you search the site youll see where automatic headrest were an idea that hit the trash can.

Tom Q
10-05-2004, 10:15 AM
So is there a particular model where the rear headrest go up with the switch?

Tom Q
10-05-2004, 10:16 AM
so that answers my question....:o

neema12
10-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, my headrest go up manually, they always did. But here is the problem. Once the go up manually, they cant come down untill I get the problem fixed or basically break the switches to make it fall down. I have 1 up now and really want to get it down, because its hard for me to see. I also want to fix the other things like the defrost and vacume to see if they are realated, mabye their is a wire that brings power the the headrest and defrost and is disconncected, which creates the pump to go off? Also, how can I find the leak in the pump?? Thanks alot

SLAMMED_C
10-05-2004, 06:59 PM
by the sounds of things the vacuum leak (hisssss) is related to the rear headrest not going down.
you most likely have a broken line along the way somewhere.. so its a matter of tracing the individual broken line, not going to be easy.
and the defrost could be a blown fuse.. check the fuse box first.. does the light come on, on the dash for the defrost button for the back glass?

J Irwan
10-06-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
by the sounds of things the vacuum leak (hisssss) is related to the rear headrest not going down.
you most likely have a broken line along the way somewhere.. so its a matter of tracing the individual broken line, not going to be easy.
and the defrost could be a blown fuse.. check the fuse box first.. does the light come on, on the dash for the defrost button for the back glass?

I concur... :)

First of all I would try to listen where the hissing noise coming from... (i.e. front of the car, the rear, maybe the corner rear passenger side. etc..) that way eventhough you're not able to narrow it down you'll know where to look to being with.

Otherwise you'l end up taking apart the whole interior to find out the broken/disconnected hose..

just FYI: I had the vacuum hose disconnected from the trunk lock.

As a result my door lock didn't work and my rear headrest didn't go down , as soon as reconnected it, everything works fine..

Regardz,

neema12
10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Well I cant hear the hissing because the vacume pump is so loud!! It can be heard from outside the car. It stays on for about 10min every time I start the car, and sometimes randomly. The rear headrest button lights up, and acts like it works, but when I look into my mirroir after 10min its still the same, no effect. I will look at the car today and see what I come up with. Thanks alot, keep the ideas going, I need to get this relsoved.

nokia8860
10-06-2004, 08:19 AM
pull the rear shelf off as the lines/splitter for the headrest are there. check to see if those lines are ok.

pnsji
10-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
pull the rear shelf off as the lines/splitter for the headrest are there. check to see if those lines are ok.

Once you take out the rear shelf, you could see the vacuum line splitter:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/deck1.jpg

Make sure these are connected properly.

If the vaccuum pump is making loud noise, it means that there is a leak. Because of the leak, the preasure of that line drop. The pump is trying its best to increase the preasure back to normal.

You could take out the rear right trunk liner and see the vaccuum pump there. Make sure all of the line are connected securely.

neema12
10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I checked and all the rear vacume connections in that pic are hooked up ok. Anything else I should checK? Thanks alot

SLAMMED_C
10-07-2004, 08:09 PM
you want to actually check the lines in between the connection points.. i think thats where you will find the break in the line. try and figure out which line comes off the pump and goes to the rear headrest.. that line will most likely have the break in it somewhere along the way.

36AMG43
06-09-2005, 03:58 PM
I have the same problem on my 1996 C36. I have changed the vacuum distributor in the engine compartment, with no luck. There is another distributor in the rear deck, but the dealership said they have never had to change it. When I start the car, you can hear the vacuum making a noise. Is that normal? Any suggestions?