PDA

View Full Version : first cold day...tough to start..battery?

detroit202
10-05-2004, 03:41 AM
ok yesterday was one of the first cold mornings here..and my 98 c230 was hesatant to start... i cranked twice...no start...then i cranked and gave it some gas and it started... i dont think i should be giving it gas like that right? so its attributed to the cold morning....stupid question could it be battery? and if it is do i need to replace it with the MB battery what are some alternitives you are using..

thanks !

Andrew C280
10-05-2004, 04:32 AM
get the battery tested, i though my battery was going and it wasn't alternator was not chargeing it, long story short it might be your alternator.

detroit202
10-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Strange today it started no problem and it was colder than yesterday...i wonder Sunday afternoon I was returning from Canada and the guys at the border were searching my trunk they always dig around the spare under the trunk floor, I wonder if they made something lose.

adamt
10-05-2004, 03:38 PM
check the battery level. low battery is common cause of failure.

SLAMMED_C
10-05-2004, 07:12 PM
usually with slow or slower than normal cranking it the battery.. unable to provide starter with adequate cranking amperage.
how old is the battery??.. original? recommended to replace the battery every 4-5 years.
I would say maybe the long drive you went on put a bit more charge in the battery.. when a battery goes bad.. it usually wont except a charge no matter how much amperage or voltage the alternator puts out. plus weak batteries tent to lose the charge more rapidly and dont have as large of cranking capacity.
do a load test on your battery and go from there.