PDA

View Full Version : c220d starting

H3MAN
10-07-2004, 05:08 AM
hello everyone, now i now i got a diesel so only very few of you are gona be of help, and oh yeh not 4getting my best friend MBenzNL hahahahahaha

anyways listen up, when i start my car it sounds sometimes like a churning sound just chewing up start and then it just fires up, now this happened for a month or so and now sometimes there comes a point where if i try to start it just ticks over and over and doesnt fire up, but then second time it always will , but that happens very rarely,
now with this churning sound its all to do with startin so i figured it could be the starter motor but what i want to know is where is the starter motor has anyone got any pics lying around, and also someone told me there was two parts to the started an electrical bit and the mechanical bit? can anyone explain this or is someone just telling me rubbish???

so can someone help me out or.....are you all thinkin the same thing as me....theres a gremlin in my engine bay whos eating the wires lol
reason i really need help isnt because it worries me its just the gyals in the car dont like it they look at me like what was that so i gota get rid of it......thanks

Kind Regards

H3MAN

SLAMMED_C
10-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Well I dont kow lots about diesels.. but I'll do my best...
it kinda sounds like the battery is low.. I've seen that a lot where the battery is too low to start the car and it just sits there and goes tick tick tick tick tick while your trying to start it.. but since you say it starts up fine on the second try kinda leads me away from your battery being defective.. cause theres no way there would be enough cranking amperage left after trying to start the first time to be able to start fine the second time, but you may want to check it out anyway.
Its a possibility its the starter, there is a trick to figuring out if it is the starter while it wont crank, u get a prybar or something long you can put on the starter then you hit it with a hammer while cranking.. most times it will giggle the starter and then let it work, but since you say it starts fine on the second try everytime it may not work.

what year is your W202??
do you have a check engine light (we dont have W202 diesels in canada, on the W210 diesels they have check engine electronics light).. does your glow plug light stay or come on at all when letting the plugs warm up?

H3MAN
10-11-2004, 04:35 AM
well slammed c thanx for the reply man

the battery was replaced a few months ago so it wasnt that and like u guessed it would never start up on the second occassion if it didnt start up on the first,

but now i know wat it is cos i took it to the garage and i asked the guy to check it, it was getting really bad now, and i switched it off and when starting it just churned and churned and churned and then started, he goes open the bonnet and said its your starter motor, he goes u need a new one get it and ill fit it for u only 10 mins, so i said ok cool and so what do i do after he admires me on how good the leather looks that i just fitted, he goes see you tommorow and the car was dead no ignition nothing, now the starter died on me and we had to push start my merc in reverse out of the garage and then i had to drive it home and park it up inside now im gona get hold of a starter and then i guess if i can fit it with my brother i will otherwise give it to tht guy, but never leave it this late as i had done coz i tell u this morning i had to bring my sisters car to work which is a renault clio and i felt like someone had put me in a box and every car was cutting me off i got so pissed, i see how much reputation u get on the road now for driving a good looking 202 mercedes, try it sometimes ppl and ull realise if ur driving a small car other drivers pretend that ur not even there no indicating to pull infront of u no hand signalls to say thank u, damn wait until my mercs back on the road........but until then its sitting there qwietly saying nothing

once again thanks slammed c

Kind Regards

H3MAN