PDA

View Full Version : need help on wheels offset

Pablo7
10-09-2004, 03:03 PM
hi there guys, i really need help here.
i bought a set of 4 AMG wheels that were originally made for the A class. the model is 5 spoke 129.
i knew the offset for the A class was different than for our cars, but i thought a wheel spacer of about 1.5, 2 cm would solve that problem easily. (ET in A class: 57front, 49 rear. w202 35)

today when i took the car to the shop, he said this couldn´t be done, because the bolts are too short to do it. (the new offset and the spacer made them short).
i then asked him to buy new, longer bolts; or try finding someone that could create them.
but he said that if the bolts were as long as they needed to be, it could be dangerous for me and the car, because they could breake down.

any help? anybody had this issue or similar one?
thanks!

SLAMMED_C
10-09-2004, 08:22 PM
He's just telling you this cause its more of a sefety issue for him.. he doesnt want to be liable.
I am running 2 x 15mm spacers on my rear wheels with longer bolts.
just go to a wheel shop and buy a set of longer bolts. you shoul dhave no problems, Ive been using wheel spacer for 2 summers now and no problems at all.

Pablo7
10-10-2004, 04:48 AM
thanks for your reply.
i´m gonna need 20 mm spacers, front and rear.
the bolts need to be 20mm longer than the oem ones, do you still think its safe for me to do it?
he said they could brake down, causing a wheel to come off, and that wouldn´t be nice................:(

SLAMMED_C
10-10-2004, 02:41 PM
That wont be a problem.. Ive seen people run wider spacers than that.. just make sure the bolts are long enough.. too short and they wont grab enough treds in your hub and pull out very easy.. also make sure they arent too long.. if they are you can damage the hub and any components behind the hub.. especially the parking brake..
as long as the stock bolts work.. then yes you will need to add 20mm to that length, just make sure the botls are the right length and you will have no problems.. also make sure the wheel spacers are hubcentric.. without hubcentric you will run into mad vibration problems.

Pablo7
10-10-2004, 04:12 PM
thanks a lot for your reply. very usefull info.
i´ll try to find some bolts 2cm longer than the stockies ones. hope this works so i can put this rims on!