PDA

View Full Version : tranny problems

davis449
10-13-2004, 09:01 AM
My tranny was shifting really hard for a while so I finally broke down and took it to the dealer about a month ago. When I got it back it DEFINITELY shifted smoother but there was like a slight delay in the shift from 1st to 2nd, but all the rest of the shifts were smooth as glass. Now, a month later, the delay is in three of my gears, I notice it mostly when the A/C is on, but it will do it after a short while with it off. The dealer told me when they did the repair that there was a valve they had to adjust and that was what was causing the hard shifting and they charged me a good amt. of money. The problem now is that I live in a different city and have to take it to a different dealer. Shouldn't they honor the warranty on the the work that was done at home and fix it at no cost? My main question is: Do you guys think the valve just needs to be adjusted again or is my transmission starting to slip and therefore becoming a much more serious problem.

sanf
10-15-2004, 06:26 AM
my tranny has been jerky pretty hard from 1st to 2nd. it's making this clicking noise going from N to D. but it sounds like this is a common problem. I hope its not a major thing. i have 53k miles on my 2000 c230k. i really dont want the car to start acting up especially after my warranty is over. i will have to trade it in if this is a major deal.

kameraguy
10-15-2004, 11:22 AM
sanF, you should get your tranny fixed before you run out of warranty!!! This crap costs so much $$$ Be lucky you can get it fixed for free.

Clicking is not normal. I know a lot of us had tranny issues, but clicking was something I don't think is common.

if there's any problem with the tranny, at least have it checked under warranty.

Davis, if you did this under warranty i'm sure any dealership will help you. But if you paid out of your pocket, you will most-likely need to bring it back to the dealership who first fixed it. Then they will need to redo the repairs or defer it to someone else if they can't fix it. Either way, do it asap while you still can.

I am also experiencing transimission problems 20K AFTER my rebuild. And I am OUT of warranty. Crazy five speed....:rolleyes:

J Irwan
10-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Kam,

Does it means your new tranny acting up now..?

that's crazy dude..:rolleyes:

Regardz,

kameraguy
10-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Yup. But my tranny was swapped for a new one. I WISH i got a new one but my warranty deemed a rebuild was appropriate.

My tranny is even worse than I described to you last time. Sometimes I get a delayed 2nd-3rd shift where it feels like the gear is in neutral (original problem), and most recently I encountered a crazy situation where I was taking a hard right exit slowing from 65 to 45mph, but when i was exiting the turn and started to accelerate the transmission seemed to be stuck in nei=utral as my engine revs shot to redline! I could not accelerate as there was no gear engagement. I thought I broke something and was stranded but once the engine revs dropped to 2K the gear caught and I was moving again. It hasn't happened again but i'm sure is a foreshadowing of things to come.

Oh joy.

Denlasoul
10-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Time for upgrade? (http://www.mkb-power.de/pages_en/products/products.php?artgroups%5Bid%5D=32)

kameraguy
10-15-2004, 12:21 PM
DLS, always the one to see the positive out of a negative situation :)

Maybe we can do a group buy on: reinforcement clutch set MKB 25111 :)

davis449
10-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going in on Monday morning to have the dealer look at it. I did pay for the repair out of pocket at my original dealer in Midland. I hope they will do it, but they may not, in which case my dad said he will have to make an arrangement to bring it back to Midland. Actually, we are fully aware that the waranty is almost up, so we went and test drove a 2003 IS 300 CPO at the Lexus dealer today and I have to say I'M IN LOVE! That's most likely what's going to happen to the C 280 in about two to four months. I'll let you guys know what happens w/ the dealer. Thanks again guys.

Denlasoul
10-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey Kam

I read that you are out of warranty, have you considered an Aftermarket one? I have one on my C43 and it covers pretty much everything. Only catch is that it has to break before they fix, problematic is ot considered broken :(

I think my tranny is starting to go, so I'm trying to get it to break so I can have it replaced. I got a 4yr/40K new warranty.

You can talk to 98_Benzo about this, I know he sells them, or you can talk to someone local.

davis449
10-20-2004, 06:37 AM
My car is a 95 with 80K on it, so I wouldn't even bother with another warranty. I just got back from the shop about fifteen min. ago so we'll see later today what they do to it. That IS 300 was just too appealing and not even my sister's 99 280 Sport can touch that car, so I'm shooting for that in a couple months, maybe sooner. MY "C" has been very good to me and I've enjoyed driving it, but it's time for a change and with the recent quality problems, a 203 is out of the question. I won't even consider it. For me, right now, it's either BMW or Lexus.

Denlasoul
10-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Fuuny thing, before I got rid of my C280, I was looking into an 2001 IS300 too.

Nice car, but not as luxurious as my 94 C280. Also, power was pretty weak. Probably better than my C280, but nothing too impressive stock. I know you can tune the hell out of it, but....

Then I test drove my C43. What can I say? The power difference is light years ahead from IS300 and my C280.

I was sold on the power, and the transition from the C280 to the C43 was really really easy. Basically the same car with more power, better handling, and stuff like that.

I would really suggest testing one out if you kinda still want to keep an MB.

davis449
10-20-2004, 11:56 AM
I would like to own a C43, but with gas being the way it is, I don't want a V8 and the C36's are just too old. I do, however, think they're BEAUTIFUL cars. I just got off the phone with the guy at the MB dealer here in SA and my Starmark warranty just paid for itself. The motor mounts are worn and going to be replaced as well as the original problem with the vaccum valve on the tranny (it was cracked). Also worn and soon to be replaced are the front control arm bushings and the rear differential seal. What a mess, but this is all wear and tear shit, so I'm not gonna complain too loudly. Bottom line, I'm going to trade this thing in here soon and get the Lexus cause I'm looking forward to: "How are you doing today Mr. Davis? We'll get that fixed right up, in the mean time, here are the keys to your Lexus loaner car!"