PDA

View Full Version : Best Shocks?

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 03:18 PM
So I am looking for a shock upgrade, which will be lead by better springs then some rims, and I was wonder once and for all which springs are the best, I was going to go with bil sport shocks, then I was thinking AMG or Brabus and everyone's fav koni yellows, I want the best handling possible, and cost is no issue, what do I get?

jnolte
10-14-2004, 03:33 PM
if cost is no issue you can get some crazy shit, ask speedybenz.

but i recomment Koni Adj. i plan to get these within the next 2 months after my tint.

KWiK
10-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
...I want the best handling possible, and cost is no issue, what do I get?
If this is true, none of those mentioned above are what you want. Get some custom made shocks instead, fully adjustable.

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
where would i go to have this done?, and I was looking for more along the lines of best possible shocks I can buy already made, mainly through internet....

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 03:46 PM
and if you have bils why change to koni?

J Irwan
10-14-2004, 05:42 PM
What are you trying to accomplished..??

Best shock for what..???

Best shock for the money..?
Best shock for the flexibility adjustment..?
Best shock for race track.???

I notice you have asked a lot of question , but yet I still don't know what you're really looking for..?

same goes for spring..?
What are you after..??

What best for speedybenz (track junky) may not be best for your "street" application as the spring rate might be too stiff.... ;)

So depending on what is your goal is then we could share the knowledge and recommendation based on our experience..

But just come out and ask blantantly as what is best.....won't really help us help you..

Regardz,

jnolte
10-14-2004, 07:48 PM
ashkan is that guy on mbworld that talks but no game.

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 07:51 PM
I guess then street, because i want to change out springs and shocks but don't know what to go with, I don't want to have anything custom made, but i want best handling possible, well I don't really know the apps for shocks eg track or street, but I was looking for something that would be it hella better, better on curves and turns and straight away things like that I suppose I don't really know

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
ashkan is that guy on mbworld that talks but no game. well if I knew what to get I wouldn't have to keep asking, and all you get on mbworld are pricks like aho who talk game about cars that he never really tells what he owns...

nokia8860
10-14-2004, 08:02 PM
I suppose I don't really know

Untill you can figure that out no one can really suggest anything.

But from what you posted it doesnt sound like youre gonna take your car to the local parking lot for a weekend of autox, nor try to see what your fastest lap will be at the local track.

Dont worry about is AMG better than Brabus or if you replace Brabus with koni that means its better... thats all bull... again its what you want out of your car and cost of a part has nothing to do with this.

Here is what you need to get, a set of H&R springs and a set of bilstien sports and a set of #1 pads. It will be a perfect street combo for better handling and looks for you.

edit: buy your stuff from tirerack, it will make it easier for you.

And no need to ask what about x springs or x shocks this set up will work for you.

fin

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I am not so much concerned with aesthetics as much as handling and my biggest remorse would be to purchase a combo only to find that there would be a better setup available (with regards to handling) I am by no means any sort of expert in suspension, but I was looking for the best combo that would give me better handling no matter what style of driving I was so inclined to do whether it be track or street, I apologize if my request seem convoluted but I want to make the correct purchase because I won't be making another swap once I do this, I don't switch out and try different setups ever so once i do make the exchange it will be the only time, so I want to be confident that it was the correct direction to go.

nokia8860
10-14-2004, 08:26 PM
II was looking for the best combo that would give me better handling no matter what style of driving I was so inclined to do whether it be track or street

Every suspension setup is a compromise. Knowing this will you ever be happy with one setup? Ask yourself this question then call the tirerack and purchase the combo I suggested.

Trust me, by your response, I doubt I will see you going around some cones at the local parking lot. Its not gonna happen...

... still not gonna happen....

.... yep youre still not at nasa....

....oh whats thats im sorry youre still not racing your M104....

.... yes its harsh but its not gonna help you if you keep on dreaming.....

.... hello tire rack I would like to purchase....... good boy. :)

Hey reality hurts get over it and just DRIVE :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

speedybenz
10-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Ashkan,

For $5000 I will make you the setup I run, but wth softer springs more in tune with street use.

You will get Custom 8100 series Penske shocks that will bolt right up and will be adjustable for compression and rebound damping independantly. The damping is the product of over one year of testing

Also included will be special spring perches that will allow you to use whatever spring rate works best for you and set the ride ht. from fully slammed to SUV ht., ie; really tall.

Rear camber arms to set the rear tires at the best angle for traction.

Also included would be front and rear swaybar bushings.

If you want the best and are willing to pay the cost this is it. Nothing else you can buy will match this setup.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
10-14-2004, 10:44 PM
tirerack does not have bil shocks

KWiK
10-14-2004, 11:22 PM
tirerack does not have bil shocks

Here ya' go...

Koni & Bilstein shocks (http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/category.php/CA=176/PA=7)

Vogtland Springs (http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/description.php/II=142/CA=153/PA=7)

or how about a complete kit (http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/category.php/CA=189/PA=7)

Now order something already...

Renn 208
10-15-2004, 09:10 PM
forget what nokia said...go with the speedybenz setup. Jeff makes great stuff, and you should put that on your car. You will never find a better handling car period. And even more, you'll be helping out a fellow member instead of giving your money to some internet site.

importproducts2
11-11-2004, 03:24 PM
This place has many shock vogtland and all

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home.asp?dir=search_res&cat=7&cat_name=Performance&sub_id=29&sub_name=CoilOver%20/%20Spring

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 12:45 PM
that other site where i order my shocks from never sent them so I canceled the order before i got fucked with my credit card, does anyone know any other places to order bilstein sport shocks, hopefully under 300 or close to it

e-low
11-14-2004, 02:01 PM
www.pure-motorsport.com

ShollyC220
11-14-2004, 03:29 PM
that other site where i order my shocks from never sent them so I canceled the order before i got fucked with my credit card, does anyone know any other places to order bilstein sport shocks, hopefully under 300 or close to it

Man Kann, no matter what forum you post on its always the same story with you- can't make up your mind- Anyhow, best price I've seen on Bilsteins is on www.allshocks.com

-sholly

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 03:54 PM
all shocks does not have it for c class, and this is the second time I have had a parts website not send me my stuff or reply to my emails....forcein me to delete the order

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 03:59 PM
and I made up my fucking mind I need a place to buy it... that will send it to me

KWiK
11-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by e-low
www.pure-motorsport.com http://www.club202.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.club202.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

98c43amg
11-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860

Here is what you need to get, a set of H&R springs and a set of bilstien sports and a set of #1 pads. It will be a perfect street combo for better handling and looks for you.

Nokia... would you say this setup is superior then stock AMG?

My shocks are "tired" on my C43 (car doesn't take the same compression set it used to and now has a bit of bounce in a turn) ; plus I'm finally ready to give the car a drop. But I only want to do so in a manner that's "better" then the AMG setup I have now. (by "better" I mean both superior handling on anything from standard twisties on a bumpy roads to smooth autoX, as well as not drive like a truck when on a road with expansion joints, like the AMG suspension does now.)

...of course this leads to the "digressive vs. progressive" question. But I figure I'll do a search before I ask that publicly in a different post as I assume that's already been explored...

98c43amg
12-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
For $5000 I will make you the setup I run, but wth softer springs more in tune with street use.
You will get ...

Jeff, I sent you an e-mail through the board about this. Hope to talk to you soon.

-steve

12-22-2004, 12:47 AM
So, yesterday I've installed H&R spring and this new Koni damper. I've still to appreciate the new ride also because new alignement has still to be done (tomorrow) at the moment I can only verify that the car turn like a train on the rail and the confort of old elegance set-up is loose:( but hey this is the downface of the game:D

Please how do you keep the koni set-up? I know this is a personal choice but I have still to realize and your info is really usefull for me.

Do I have to start from the fully un-screwed position (that should be the less confortable one) and than turn clockwise to increase confort (and decrease the stability)?

How do you personally keep: rear stiffer than front? How many turns (from the full un-screwed position I refer).

Hoping to be clear I thank you a lot.

:)

KWiK
12-22-2004, 07:13 AM
I have mine set at 1.5 turns. That's a little past the mid point toward the stiff side. Front/Rear are set the same.

12-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by KWiK
I have mine set at 1.5 turns. That's a little past the mid point toward the stiff side. Front/Rear are set the same.

please confirm me you consider 1.5 turns clockwise FROM the full UNSCREWED position.

actually the mechanic set only half a turn for all (front and rear). And I feel a little bit exaggerated (too hard). So I should turn clockwize a further 1.0 turn.
I thank you really a lot.

Marco

KWiK
12-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Clockwise = soft
Counter-Clockwise = hard

Starting at full soft, I turned 1.5 turns counter-clockwise for my settings.

If you want a more comfortable ride, turn the knob clockwise.

12-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Clockwise = soft
Counter-Clockwise = hard

Ok it seems me it's only a matter of understanding.

as reference for the setting you consider the fully clockwise position (the softer), since my mechanic told me that I have to refer to the full hard position i.e. the fully counter-clockwise position, and than I have to turn clockwise, to increase the confort.

Please do you know how many turns are necessary form one extreme position to the opposite one? Since I want to adjust the ride I hope that all the four damper (or at least the same pair) are identical.

I thank you really a lot for your help

KWiK
12-23-2004, 06:12 AM
I don't remember how many turns from full soft to full hard. I would suggest you set it at full soft first to see if you like it. Full soft will be harder than stock

12-23-2004, 06:41 AM
I don't remember how many turns from full soft to full hard. I would suggest you set it at full soft first to see if you like it. Full soft will be harder than stock

Ok thanks again. I'm sure as you suggest that full soft will be, in any case, quite harder than stock.

Anyway, I hope that all the 4 damper will have the identical number of turn (from soft to hard I refer).

12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Done yesterday the aligment, after the lowering, the man said me he have setted the damper hardening all 4 to the max stiff (counter-clockwise) and than decrease only of 1/2 turn:eek:

It seems me really too much, considering I came from an elegance set-up. As I can I modify.

Further, as far as aligment this are the value thay have adjusted now:
FRONT
caster sx 5°34' dx 5°36'
camber sx -1°10' dx -1°32'
toe sx 1.4 dx 1.6

REAR
camber sx -1°56' dx -2°00'
toe sx 1.9 dx 2.3

Now I'm looking on the site to verify if this value are more or less similar to other experience but I'm quite concerned of the rear camber, is it correct that to adjust is necessary a special kit?

After lowering (H&R spring) the rear tires are quite angled and not vertical to the ground as before. Is this common? and In particular acceptable?

Thanks a lot for your help and, please be informed that I can return on the forum after the Holiday, I wish to all of you my best Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Hi:)

01-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Clockwise = soft
Counter-Clockwise = hard

Dear KWik, during my holiday I tried to manage some different set-up, because ride was really tto hard, as made by the shop.

I discovered that in the front I have only a range of 1.5 turns from the softer to the harder set-up.

At the rear I've only 1 turn.

This should be different than you...at least as far as the rear set-up (since you told 1.5 turns for each damper).

In any case the softer set-up seems me quite harder respect factory suspension.

Please I'll appreciate your comments.

Hi

KWiK
01-05-2005, 07:38 AM
yes, the Koni at full soft is still more firm than stock. That's a good thing ;)

speedybenz
01-05-2005, 08:32 AM
1998k,

I make custom camber arms for the rear to fix the excessive camber. But at this point I would drive your car for some time to see if the new settings are going to cause faster wear rates to your rear tires.

If you just can't live with the appearance of the rear tires cambered to -2 degrees, well then I understand that too.

The camber arms are of the highest level of construction and there are many people on this board that have them.

Jeff

97Brabus
01-05-2005, 08:33 AM
OK, I have a question about Bilstein Sports versus Brabus shocks. Any real difference? I have the Bilsteins but I saw some Brabus rear shocks on Ebay and I was considering swapping them out. Thoughts?

01-06-2005, 11:08 PM
yes, the Koni at full soft is still more firm than stock. That's a good thing ;)

Ok but please do you confirm me that you have more possibilities than 1.5 total turns, in particolar at rear (where I have only 1.o turn):bunny:

thanks

01-06-2005, 11:22 PM
1998k,

I make custom camber arms for the rear to fix the excessive camber. But at this point I would drive your car for some time to see if the new settings are going to cause faster wear rates to your rear tires.

If you just can't live with the appearance of the rear tires cambered to -2 degrees, well then I understand that too.

The camber arms are of the highest level of construction and there are many people on this board that have them.

Jeff

Thanks for the info speedybenz. I keep your suggestion also because I'd like to verify the tires wear and the final suspension value (toe, camber) after a necessary adjustment.

Please but I'm wondering how are the factory AMG or sport set up by Mercedes, since they are lowered and probably I've never realized if also those have increased negative camber?

Further, I'm satisfied with H&R and Koni but the confort is really another think respect the elegance set-up. It's really a matter of knock and bump over any little pothole...also with koni at softer position:D

I'll consider your offer but you also have to realize that being in the other continent.... and in any case I'd like to find a kit directly at the shop that performed the job and where I'd like to re-verify the aligment. Please in any case could you make me an offer? Is it standard for any W202 (since mine is a C200 kompressor)?

thanks

Hi:)

PS: last thing, but front camber is factory adjustable or do I need also a suitable kit?

speedybenz
01-07-2005, 09:13 AM
1999k,

It seems that -1.5 to -2.0 degrees on the rear camber is about the limit for good tire wear. Some tires and cars will be fine others will exihibt excessive tire wear rates. -2.0 degree on the rear is very good for handling and if you drive hard you may find that setting to be very likeable.

The front camber is slightly adjustable with the camber/castor bolts that Mercedes sells for our W202's. These will allow you to change the settings by about -/+ 0.5 degree's.

Given you location, the birth country of Valentino Rossi I can most likely work out something to help offset the shipping costs.

Jeff
speedyafm2@aol.com

97Brabus
01-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 1998K
Thanks for the info speedybenz. I keep your suggestion also because I'd like to verify the tires wear and the final suspension value (toe, camber) after a necessary adjustment.

Isn't toe only a setting for the front? If I understand correctly speedybenz, aren't your arms for the rear only?

P.S. I am thinking about getting a set since I am currently spending $500 a year on rear S03's. On that note, do you recommend a less expensive tire with similar dry performance with better wet/ice performance. I live in Seattle so that's a must especially in the winter! My ride is out of commission any time there's ice or snow...like now. Gotta rock the 85 S-10...what!!! :beard:

Renn 208
01-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 97Brabus
Isn't toe only a setting for the front?

No, your rear wheels can be toed in or out as well, however most of the time the toe of one set of wheels (front or rear) will be mirrored by the other set. That is, if your fronts are significantly toed in, you rears will want to become more toed out.

speedybenz
01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
The toe setting can be set for both the front and the rear using just the stock MB suspension pieces.

And yes my speedybenz camber arms are only for the rear.

Jeff

Ashkan's C280
01-08-2005, 07:52 PM
so what did you make for the front, I thought you were going to make front camber arms, or a sway bar of some sort?

01-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
Ok but please do you confirm me that you have more possibilities than 1.5 total turns, in particolar at rear (where I have only 1.o turn):bunny:

thanks

up to KWiK

please:)

01-10-2005, 12:44 AM
1999k,

It seems that -1.5 to -2.0 degrees on the rear camber is about the limit for good tire wear. Some tires and cars will be fine others will exihibt excessive tire wear rates. -2.0 degree on the rear is very good for handling and if you drive hard you may find that setting to be very likeable.

The front camber is slightly adjustable with the camber/castor bolts that Mercedes sells for our W202's. These will allow you to change the settings by about -/+ 0.5 degree's.

Given you location, the birth country of Valentino Rossi I can most likely work out something to help offset the shipping costs.

Jeff
speedyafm2@aol.com

Thanks a lot speedybenz, I'll send you an e-mail. But further could you please post a pic of this rear camber kit that if I'm not wrong you have already produced.

It should be good to all of us.

Thanks in advance.:)

speedybenz
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
1999k,

Below is the pic you asked for. I think I already said this but there are some 60 to 70 pairs of these Camber Arms on all sorts of Mercedes Benz chassis. So far they seem to perform very well with no increase in noise.

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/speedybenz-c43/DSC00643.sized.jpg

98c43amg
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Ashkan,
You will get ... [snip]
If you want the best and are willing to pay the cost this is it. Nothing else you can buy will match this setup.
Jeff
Originally posted by Renn 208
forget what nokia said...go with the speedybenz setup. Jeff makes great stuff, and you should put that on your car. You will never find a better handling car period. And even more, you'll be helping out a fellow member instead of giving your money to some internet site.

Ashkan, don't want to 'jack your thread so I'll be providing more detail in a new post ... Your original question was "Best Shocks?" (well obviously, it's more then just the shocks) If you're like me and were on the fence with what suspension modification you wanted to do, I have to agree, go with the speedybenz suspension!

I live on the east coast and just came back yesterday from the west coast where I went to specifically visit speedybenz about his car's suspension mods and have a ride in his C43 before I took the plunge to buy his setup for my car. Oh my frell'n [or is it now frack'n] god! ...as close to perfection as the seat of my pants can detect. Unbelievable balance and never ending grip. I just kept say'n "yep, my C43 would have pushed into that 6' gully along side of the road ... yep my car sure can't do that ...Woe, niiiice!".

Ya, $5K is a lot of money ... but Jeff isn't exaggerating ... "Nothing else you can buy will match this setup." I'll post more in a new thread. Just know, I'm buy'n it!

Renn ; Jeff told me he had his summer "slicks" on the car when he took you for a ride and was peaking out about 10mph faster with you then he was going with me ... woe'a ... nice.

So just how kewl was that ride? :banana: I'm sold!

There was noone in front of us the whole 9 miles out ... just two cars in the way coming back, but weren't there for long. I sure won't forget it. ...Wish I had a video camera with me to share with others. Oh man, if I only had that road near me.

Renn 208
02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
yeah, there's really nothing to compare the ride to...esp how well he manages all that weight. An Elise might be built up better from the start, but it's just amazing to see what Jeff can do with 4 tires and a steering wheel.

Another thing to keep in mind though is that the driver has a huuuuuuuuuuge effect on the car, and skillz are just as important to develop as the suspension.

And Fujiwara ain't got nothin on speedy benz and his akagi.

98c43amg
02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Renn 208
Another thing to keep in mind though is that the driver has a huuuuuuuuuuge effect on the car, and skillz are just as important to develop as the suspension.

:werd: You said it. He is both an artist and a professional in both his mechanical engineering ability as well as driving skills [you gotta figure there's a reason he's got a garage full of trophys :cool: ]

And Fujiwara ain't got nothin on speedy benz and his akagi.

:confused: err ... huh? <grin> I'm obvioulsy missing the back-story to something. :o

Renn 208
02-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by 98c43amg

:confused: err ... huh? <grin> I'm obvioulsy missing the back-story to something. :o [/B]

No worries, I'm just making a reference to a Japanese Anime character...who's known for driving on mountain passes.

c.f. Initial D, Fujiwara Takumi

Ashkan's C280
04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
well an update on this I am happy with the H&R and Bilstein sport, the drop was not bad about a finger in front no finger in the back, handles better yet not as well as I thought, and the road is felt a lot more, not too bad though, I suppose it is just give and take, I will be looking into the rear camber arms and delin/poly bushings for the ffront, my question is, is it either or on that, e.g you can have derlin fron bushings of poly front bushings or are they different bushings for different places in the front, I am also thinking about getting the heim joint for the back, besides these listed, and jnenad camber correction which is freakin crazy, what other suspension upgrades can be done, speedy benz tune in?

Renn 208
04-29-2005, 01:15 PM
my friend, you sound a little confused:confused:

jnenad16
04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
jnotles camber correction which is freakin crazy
you mean mine? jnenad16 not jnolte

nenad

Ashkan's C280
04-29-2005, 06:04 PM
oops I do mean your correction sorry....

Ashkan's C280
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
My question is are poly bushing and derlin bushings for the same application

jnenad16
04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
My question is are poly bushing and derlin bushings for the same application
poly(urethane)? bushing are used primarily for sway bars, but lately there are kits on the market that contain control arm poly bushings among a few other bushings. as for the derlin bushings and heim joints, I honestly dont know what they are, so I think its best that Jeff explains it.

nenad