PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light Question...

slugger
10-16-2004, 03:54 PM
I have found some similar threads to this one using the search, however, I haven't found one tying a couple issues together that I think might be the problem.

Problem:
Two days ago, my car started immediately in the morning. At lunchtime, I went to start it up and turned over for several seconds before firing up.
Next morning, started quickly, no problems. Later in the day, slow turnover again - took a few seconds to fire up.
Today, everything seemed to start up fine throughout several starts during the day. Tonight - the check engine light came on.

I am going to start with the battery tomorrow and test the voltage. I also think it could be the plugs as I am just about due for 90,000 mile service.

If it was the battery or the plugs, would the check engine light come on? I know it could also be the alternator or starter, but the pattern doesn't seem likely to me, however I am no expert. Power does not seem to be draining from anywhere else.

I also read in several posts here that Autozone can read the codes for check engine light issues. Do they simply hook up to your car out in the parking lot to do that? Sorry for being so naieve, I have never tried to do this at an Autozone before.

Thanks for any insight you all may provide.

slugger
10-16-2004, 05:34 PM
After reading a bunch more posts, I wonder if it could be the MAS (air flow meter? - seems to be called a couple of different things). the only thing is that the symptoms don't seem to be the same as the ones listed for the MAS.

I also found the situation could be related to the O2 sensors.

I don't know if my local Autozone still does the codes, but I will try in the morning.

slugger
10-17-2004, 08:12 AM
P0306 Error code: Misfire of the 6th plug. Could be coil, wiring, or could be the plug itself.

detroit202
10-18-2004, 06:43 AM
there ya go !

autozone is the best.

change that plug and wire.

or better yet change them all.

you just saved 90 bux by not taking it to the dealer to tell you that

Rocky
10-18-2004, 02:36 PM
change the coil ends first. 3 coil ends at about $10 a piece. Common break down on the coil ends due to heat. Wires are pretty much great in terms of not breaking down, same witht he coil packs.

SLAMMED_C
10-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Well you can do all that and replace parts left right and centre.. or you can do this:
check the supressor on coil 6.. if it looks ok, leave it.. if it looks all burnt or the bottom is spilt.. or very soft.. replace it. then take coil 6 and move it to another cylinder (swap coils) put the other coil in cylinder 6, you can alos swap the supressors to a different cylinder too.. drive the car.. if the code comes back as po306.. then its the plug or possibly an injector.. if it moves to a different cylinder its either the coil or supressor depending on what code you have.
this way you replace minimal parts but still know exactly what the problem is.
just remember when you have put everything!!