PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise coming from rear

Gorister
10-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Lately I have been having a poping/thumping noise coming from the rear. It seems to do it more when I first start driving and will do it when I go over bumps or take turns. I have an appointment at MB but the earliest they can take a look is next week. Any idea of what might be causing this? Anyone had similar problems? Thanks in advance guys.

manny
10-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I would look at the exhaust or shocks. ;)

CKlasse
10-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Broken exhaust hanger (?)

Gorister
10-19-2004, 04:35 PM
The exhaust was my first guess. I am not familiar with the inner workings of an exhaust system and this may be a completely stupid question...but is there something in the exhaust that could cause noise but would not be as noticable once it has heated up? Is there something in the suspension that would make noise but not be as noticable after the car has been driven for a little while?

manny
10-19-2004, 05:08 PM
How old is your car ?

Gorister
10-19-2004, 05:16 PM
(Sport Package)

manny
10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Probably too new to need shocks.
Get under the car & start pulling,shaking the exhaust. ;)

Gorister
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I took it to the dealer I purchased it from and had them check it out. They heard nothing and found nothing. They pulled it in and put it on the rack but I never saw what they did after that. I will wait to see if it comes back. I am still going to keep my appointment with MB to get they opinion on it. Thanks for all your help guys.

Gorister
10-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Finally got the car to MB. Bad News. Looks like the car has been hit in the Right Rear and is having some suspension noise due to that. The dealer I purchased it from has offered to buy it back. I might take them up on that however I will be sad to let me 202 go.

J Irwan
10-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Gorister
Finally got the car to MB. Bad News. Looks like the car has been hit in the Right Rear and is having some suspension noise due to that. The dealer I purchased it from has offered to buy it back. I might take them up on that however I will be sad to let me 202 go.

so what did they find..?
Bent subframe..??

Regardz,

Gorister
10-21-2004, 06:01 PM
not sure if it is the frame or subframe or what. He showed me a few things on the car that were a result of the impact. The RR door does close very smoothly nor does the trunk. The door edge is also out of align with the rest of the body. I hoping maybe the dealer will just fix the problem and throw me some money the depreciation. If that is the case I will take it and keep the car. The gave me a guarantee when I bought it that it had never had any body damage. I really dont want to get rid of it, but I did test drive an S4 there tonight and think I could get quite used to that car. Any thoughts on the S4's?

davis449
10-21-2004, 07:48 PM
As much as you want to keep your 202, I would let it go with frame damage like that. Get the buy back and find another 202.

CKlasse
10-21-2004, 07:50 PM
S4 is sick! We just did an exhaust on a 450 hp 2.7T on Wed. The owner challenged another client w/ a Modena for a run at the Bandimere Speedway.

I heard he smoked the Modena by 5 car lenght. What a wagon!

Gorister
10-21-2004, 07:53 PM
My biggest concern is that my girlfriend drives the car often and I dont want her driving around in a car that might have frame damage. It looks like I would be able to pull away with the S4 for only about 3k more (2 years newer and 30k less miles than the 202) Im also trying to keep my eyes out for a c43. I think I will go with one of the two.

It is just disapointing because I have had the 202 for almost a month now and have had some good ideas for it. Such is life i guess.

CKlasse
10-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Gorister

It is just disapointing because I have had the 202 for almost a month now and have had some good ideas for it. Such is life i guess.

On the bright side, you are blessed to find this out NOW than later. :D

Gorister
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
All too True.

Guess I need to figure out what to do now. Hmm......