PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warrantie: To Keep or Not to Keep?

Gorister
11-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Alright here is the story. I have a 99 C230k with 64k on the clock. I just bought the car with 62.5k and an extended warranty for 3/36k on the car. I bought from Carmax which is known for the quality of its cars and feel like the car is strong. I paid 1600 for the Extended warranty. The car has been under warranty all of its life....it was starmarked past the Manu. warranty so I have a feeling it has been well taken car off. I am in the process of buying a house and need all the spare cash I can get so I am thinking of cashing in the extended warranty.

So what to do. Would you guys keep it?

ryhi
11-04-2004, 08:37 PM
it somewhat gives u peace of mind for any major repairs. but it all depends on the type of coverage you get. i have an extended warranty but it really covers jack isht.

Gorister
11-04-2004, 08:40 PM
It covers everything...wear and tear parts excluded. Also covers towing and rental reimbursement. Is there any major faults that the w202 comes across before 100k that I need to watch out for?. By major i mean greater than $500.00

69chevelle
11-05-2004, 12:55 AM
Only thing that comes to mind is the $500 service "b" tune up.

J Irwan
11-05-2004, 04:23 AM
Get the warranty.

I know I am glad I have purchased the 6/100K warranty on my car before my original MB-warranty expires...

It really paid of to me, couple fold (just to name example, I just got a new transmission and the warranty company paid for it $4K).

Regardz,

Denlasoul
11-05-2004, 07:00 AM
I agree. It's worth the money now instead of coming out of pocket later. $1500 is minimal compared to a 4K tranny.

kameraguy
11-05-2004, 08:20 AM
If you plan on keeping your car for a lot longer....then KEEP IT! Never can tell what might happen. I've easily recovered my extended warranty three times over. I wish I could get another 4-year comprehensive warranty for the same money i paid for my first since mine ran out a while back. In context to a failed tranny, blown headgasket, miscellaneous electrical issues, the extended warranty was a godsend :(

Gorister
11-05-2004, 08:53 AM
I plan on keeping the car for 2 years or so. Which in my terms means close to the 36k mark.

J Irwin...Why did you need a new tranny? At what Mileage?

Thank you all for your replys.

J Irwan
11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Gorister
I plan on keeping the car for 2 years or so. Which in my terms means close to the 36k mark.

J Irwin...Why did you need a new tranny? At what Mileage?

Thank you all for your replys.

The transmission is start to flare (intially only from 4-5 under hard acceleration, then sometime from 3-4 too)
Finally got it diagnose at the dealer and that the adaption value is way of which is 210 and that as high as the computer will display. The told me the value should be either 0 or in the (-) so mine seems to be pretty off..

They determine that the clutch pack is worn, and since it is listed as "sealed" tranmission unit, any MB authorized dealer won't dare taking it apart..

so I got a new tranny.

I just had it on the car for 1 week now.

The milage on the car was 83, 8xx 1997 C36.

And trust me, after more research I've done on the tranny, Mercedes tranny is suck, they're not as reliable as you'd think..

Hope this helps.

Regardz,

J Irwan
11-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
I agree. It's worth the money now instead of coming out of pocket later. $1500 is minimal compared to a 4K tranny.

I agree

and that is just to name one example.

My headgasket, valve cover and front tiing seals also replaced under warranty (total bill approx $1300+)

And my 1997 supposedly have the upgrade gasket part, and leak proof
:rolleyes:

Regardz,

xstream
11-06-2004, 01:17 AM
i agree.. take the warranty. currently my car has run 115000 miles and every time i bring in for service in mercedes benz it cost me at least $500. so i advice to get the warranty or it gonna be pain in the wallet.

Gorister
11-06-2004, 06:25 AM
The warranty I have doesnt cover routine maintainance...is that what usually cost the most?

ryhi
11-06-2004, 02:05 PM
question to those who have aftermarket warranty: will the MB dealer work on your car and have whatever the problem fixed through the non-MB warranty?

Denlasoul
11-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Yes. For my coverage, the catch is that the problem must be broken, not symptomatic (tranny shot, not just slipping).

If it is determined broken, then the dealer just calls the insurance and tells them whats wrong and cost. Insurance either covers the bill or sends you the money.

J Irwan
11-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
question to those who have aftermarket warranty: will the MB dealer work on your car and have whatever the problem fixed through the non-MB warranty?

yes

Also becareful on selecting these companies, certain warranty company required you to pay first then they will re-imburse you.

My company pay the bill directly to the Dealer....

(so I don't require to pay out of my own pocket).

Regardz,

Gorister
11-06-2004, 09:30 PM
The company I use pays directly to the dealer...I only pay a 50 dollar deductible per visit...not per repair like a lot of warranties. The one I have also reimburses for towing and a rental car

knvs
11-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm glad i bought a car with extended warranty. My A/C compressor cracked and was covered. Otherwise it would have cost me $1700 to replace. Although my warranty on;y covered $1500 of the bill.... I had to pay $200 out of pocket, because they said they don't agree on the labor cost, and time. I didn't really want to dispute it because it was summer time and i needed a/c badly. Also the previous owner had some other stuff fixed (like tranny), spent $2600 on warranty which covered ~$5k and i still have 2 more years left, which isn't bad if u ask me. :)

69chevelle
11-30-2004, 09:51 AM
Where do they come up with these prices??? Volkswagon is german but I don't think they charge $1,700 for an a/c compressor???? :mad:

Gorister
11-30-2004, 10:16 AM
My other car is a 528i. AC Compressor and Labor was right at 1800. It can get that high.