PDA

View Full Version : headlight cleaner (anyone try this?)

djdoughboy
11-07-2004, 01:57 PM
has anyone tried this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932814109&category=50450

does it work? if so... HOW does it work... if it is some sort of bleach i think it would be detremental to the headlight... also... yes... i DID search the site and i found no threads relating to this topic...

djdoughboy
11-07-2004, 02:01 PM
another thing... i always thought that the film that builds up on the headlight lens was due to moisture getting trapped INSIDE the housing and then being baked onto the inside of the lens due to the heat of the headlamp... this product cleans the OUTSIDE of the lens... i might be wrong about how the film builds up though...

mr. gatsbury
11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
usually the yellow film is on the outside. you shouldn't get any condensation in the housing at all. if you have condesation inside you migt as well replace it or clean them well and find the leak.... looks good though, wonder what it is. I'm sure there are other household items that would clean them right up...

djdoughboy
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
i guess ill try it out... its not much money... ill take some before and after pics and post them up when im done....

jmastrol
11-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem on my wife's car. I used some Maguire's Polishing compound with a damp rag and the oxidation came right off. I've not tried the product you mention, but don't see the need for a specialized plastic cleaner when polishing compound followed by a good cleaning with Plexus makes the lenses look like new.

djdoughboy
11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
that's koo... whats plexus?

jmastrol
11-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by djdoughboy
that's koo... whats plexus?

It is a plastic cleaner and polish that comes in a spray can. It goes on as a light foam and you remove it with a polishing rag after you spray it on the surface being polished. The Airforce uses it on the windshields of fighter jets and other hard plastic surfaces that you look through. Works really well IMHO.

You can find it at most motorcycle shops because it also works great on those plastic wind screens you see on sport bikes. If you live in the SF Bay Area you can find it at Cycle Gear, Road Rider, or Honda of Milpitas. I'm sure it can be found at other locations, but this is where I typically find it.

djdoughboy
11-08-2004, 10:53 PM
oh ok thanks... ill try that...

Brabus
11-10-2004, 12:38 PM
This doesn't usually happen to glass housings from what I've seen...