PDA

View Full Version : OBD II Error Code P0446 - 1999 C230K

seanieboy81
11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
I have a 1999 C230 Kompressor. Yesterday I was driving and the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on. I took it to Auto Zone (AZ) today and borrowed one of their OBD II Scanners.

The scanner came up with error code P0446 (EVAP Emission Control System Vent Circuit Malf).

It said the following on the tool:

1st - Purge or Vent Solenoids defective

2nd - Possible blockage in vapor canister or EVAP line

3rd - Check connector and wiring

4th - Refer to AZ Commercial Preferred customer

I cleared out the code and it didn't come back on yet. Any idea what this error code means, and if I need to get something replaced. I searched for this code on the forums, but no one seems to have posted anything like it.

Thanks!
Sean

seanieboy81
11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
?

11-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I'm not a mechanic byt, is it possible if fuel tank cap were not well closed with engine running?

Only a suggestion:)

Eurosport
11-09-2004, 01:48 AM
that could also give you that code if you overfilled your tank, don't tap it off specially on warmer days (if there's such thing in Nov. :p)
i'd just clear it for now, and see if it reappears, mostlikely it won't

seanieboy81
11-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back yet (only been 3 days). Before I cleared the code (but after it occurred), I filled up and tightened the gas cap as much as I could. I'm thinking it might have been the cap.

I've been having trouble lately filling up. The pump will only pump like .7 gallons and then not fill anymore. I usually have to battle it to get it to fill more than a few gallons at a time. For some reason, when I filled up after the error code it actually did it without much trouble.

Sean

Rocky
11-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by seanieboy81
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I cleared the code, and it hasn't come back yet (only been 3 days). Before I cleared the code (but after it occurred), I filled up and tightened the gas cap as much as I could. I'm thinking it might have been the cap.

I've been having trouble lately filling up. The pump will only pump like .7 gallons and then not fill anymore. I usually have to battle it to get it to fill more than a few gallons at a time. For some reason, when I filled up after the error code it actually did it without much trouble.

Sean

do a search on filling gas problems. alot of people have experinced that and I think there's a part update for the neck of the gas tank.

seanieboy81
11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
The CEL just came on again today (thurs). I reset it last on Sun (also got gas on Sun after I reset it).

I'll have to see what the error code is this time. I'll let you all know what error code I get.

Any ideas?

SLAMMED_C
11-11-2004, 06:46 PM
could be the charcoal cannister shut off valve (white valve)

whats the code you have now?

seanieboy81
11-15-2004, 05:44 PM
I took the car to my local indy (MB-Class Autos). Oscar there said that I have some vacum leaks and that he has to replace some tubes (at 36k miles! OMG). I'll let you know as I know more. He said the code in the CEL this time was different.

Rocky
11-16-2004, 06:20 AM
whats the exact code/codes?

seanieboy81
11-16-2004, 06:21 AM
I'll have to let you know what the new code is when I get the car back or the mechanic calls me again.