PDA

View Full Version : big service coming up (60K)

edub
11-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi GUys..

I am going for 60K service next week.
Just wondering what you guys do on the service..

I've just called the service dept I ask them about 60K service, they have b service which would cost $450.00 ,
they also recomment breaks fluid change, sparkplug change etc... will cost $1100.00 Man.. I dont know if i want to go with this.. So expensive..

need opinion for the service from you guys..
I use search but not finding the right answer ....

thanks guys

Denlasoul
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Like 90% of what they do in the recommended services can be done by yourself at home.

I dont recall everything they do, but I'm sure you would agree if you saw the list of services. Alot of that price they quoted is for Stealership parts.

You could also try an independent MB shop. It may be a little cheaper.

xstream
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
yess i agree with him. try an independent MB shop? by the way edub. do you roll your fender to put in th 19 inch wheels?

nokia8860
11-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Basically change everything that has a fluid in it esp your tranny. Your plugs and wires, coil packs. Check your hoses. Put on a new set of brake pads, check the health of your rotors... etc.. check the belt for fraying or cracks and replace if needed. Its a good weekends worth of work but worth it at the end.

slugger
11-10-2004, 06:31 PM
$450 is one thing, $1,100 is rediculous.

I posted here a few weeks back as I just did my 90,000 mile service.

Everyone in here is right - you can do a lot of this on your own. Even if you don't DIY, find a good Independent MB mechanic - they charge $50 an hour instead of $100. Plus, the dealership just goes out of their way to run up the bill and charge insane prices for parts. That Mass Air FLow Meter that everyone talks about in here is a $280 part on the Internet and takes only a couple of minutes to install. I know of a local dealership here that charged 2 hours of labor for the job and around $500 for the part. So, $700 for $280 and 2 minutes...

As for the service, I bought all of my parts and fluids online for about $130. That included brake fluid, tranny fluid, plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, cabin filter, tranny filter, etc...

I did what I could and then my mechanic did all the fluids and checked all the items in the A service. I paid $100 for 2 hours of labor. Your's will be similar as far as time.

Definitely spend a little time finding an Indy and then buy your parts online. You will save loads!

Good luck...

marksbenz
11-11-2004, 08:13 AM
all the fluid change are pretty straight forward. you can probably do engine oil,rear diff,coolant,air filter,cabin filter,wiper blade,top off windshield washer,change spark plugs and wires and while youre at it change lower and upper radiator hose. all pretty easy stuff. will save you some money.

edub
11-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Wow.. this is very Helpfull guys..

I know it's rediculous going to stealership...
all the list from you guys is really really helpfull.. I will try not to go to the dealership...

My friend help me changed all my brake pads and rotors.. I saved a lot of money on that...

Anyone of you have recommendation of independent mb shop around Seattle area?

edub
11-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by xstream
yess i agree with him. try an independent MB shop? by the way edub. do you roll your fender to put in th 19 inch wheels?

Yes all four of them rolled..
:)

xstream
11-12-2004, 02:37 AM
by the way after you roll the fender. are any of side of the fender become wavevy at the out side of the fender. ? cause i am thinking to roll my fender as well because i have rubbing problem right now? thanks.

edub
11-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by xstream
by the way after you roll the fender. are any of side of the fender become wavevy at the out side of the fender. ? cause i am thinking to roll my fender as well because i have rubbing problem right now? thanks.
I don't have that problem.. you should be fine..

xstream
11-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by edub
I don't have that problem.. you should be fine..

thanks you edubs.