PDA

View Full Version : Rear big brake conversion???? with OEM brakes

SLAMMED_C
11-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I was interested to know what parts off the MB parts shelf will work as a big brake upgrade on a 1999 C230 Kompressor?
I will be doing the C32 front brake upgrade.. but am interested in knowing if there is a rear brake upgrade I can do?? other than C43, C36.....

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 11:20 AM
that brembo kit?

SLAMMED_C
11-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Im talking more about what parts on the MB shelf could I use??

I like the C32 upgrade for the front, I will be doing that early next year.
but as for the rear.. what is there I can do? I want something bigger than stock slightly, and just nice looking like the front will be.
Jeff.. any thoughts on this?

MikeL
11-21-2004, 07:19 PM
I did the C32 front BBK and love it. It is a 4 piston Brembo caliper, on the reverse side of the AMG logo, there is a Brembo stamp on the brake kit. The rears arent really worth doing. The C32, C55, CLK55, etc. all use a normal looking, smaller brake caliper in the rears. It doesnt look any different. My shop that did the install told me its not really worth uprgrading the rears because of its minimal stopping power and it pretty much looks identical to the stock W202 brakes.

SLAMMED_C
11-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I know that the C32 brakes are made by Brembo, and I will be doing that upgrade no doubt.. Ive heard lots of people with praises on the stopping power of the C32's brakes.
Will the C55 brakes work on a W202 like the C32's do? are the C55 brakes any larger than the C32's?

as for the rear.. I know its really not worth doing larger brakes on the rear as 70% of the braking is done by the front.. but I want something thats a bit bigger than stock and will look nice through my wheels.

Denlasoul
11-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Can you switch front calipers to the rear? For instance, say I buy a Brembo BBK for the front. Is it possible to have the stock fronts replace the rear?

SLAMMED_C
11-23-2004, 07:20 PM
I dont think the caliper mount points are the same front to rear (same distance from hole to hole on mounting bracket)
but I did notice on an R230 SL500, that the rear caliper is a single piston floating design, maybe off the front of a car??

Does anyone know if the rear calipers and discs off a W211 E55 will fit on the rear of a W202?

J Irwan
11-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
I dont think the caliper mount points are the same front to rear (same distance from hole to hole on mounting bracket)
but I did notice on an R230 SL500, that the rear caliper is a single piston floating design, maybe off the front of a car??

Does anyone know if the rear calipers and discs off a W211 E55 will fit on the rear of a W202?

not too sure about W211 E55 rear brake but W210 E55 rear brake should fit just fine.

The W211 E55 rear brakes are huge, even if it does fit you might have to cut off the dust shield.

But my gut feeling tells me that the W211 E55 brake should fit just fine.., but since W211 E55 have different lug-bolt bore that might be an issue with wheel fitment..--(you most likely need to use W211 lug bolts to mount your rear wheels).

If I were you I'd look for W210 E55 rear brake upgrade.. (I know that W211 E55 rear brake looks much prettier :D )

Regardz,

SLAMMED_C
11-23-2004, 07:44 PM
I dont like the W210 E55 ones.. its just a small 2 piston caliper, I agree the W211 E55's look so much nicer.. its a 4 piston caliper too.. for the rear!! :)
as for the bolt holes.. I thought the W211 bolt holes were 5x112 too??.. just uses larger diameter bolts?
there shouldnt be an issue with the hole size in the disc, just as long as it all bolts up to the hub, everything should be ok.
and I will cut away the shield if needed!! then maybe make a lil something to put on there. to give some protection.

does anyone know if the R171 or W209 55 AMG front calipers will fit on a W202 front?
they are 6 piston calipers up front. compared to the C32's 4 piston.

J Irwan
11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I dont like the W210 E55 ones.. its just a small 2 piston caliper, I agree the W211 E55's look so much nicer.. its a 4 piston caliper too.. for the rear!! :)
as for the bolt holes.. I thought the W211 bolt holes were 5x112 too??.. just uses larger diameter bolts?
there shouldnt be an issue with the hole size in the disc, just as long as it all bolts up to the hub, everything should be ok.
and I will cut away the shield if needed!! then maybe make a lil something to put on there. to give some protection.

does anyone know if the R171 or W209 55 AMG front calipers will fit on a W202 front?
they are 6 piston calipers up front. compared to the C32's 4 piston.

Yes it should..

W209 CLK55 03-04 has the same front brake as the C32's and 05 model have the newer brake 6 pot caliper..and bigger rotor..

So the newer brake shoulld be bolt on the W202, but you'd still have the dillemma with reverse piston orders just like mounting C32 brakes on W202, W210, ar W208.. :)

Plus I am not sure if the newer brake part will cost-efficient just like C32's...

They newer 6 pot caliper has similar physical design as 8 pot caliper foound on W211 E55 AMG, R230 SL55 AMG and Up...

Depending on the cost of these AMG brake component, you might be better off getting aftermarket BBK...

Regardz,

SLAMMED_C
11-23-2004, 08:01 PM
The reverse issue isnt too much of a problem.. just have to do the same thing to the C32's to the newer 05 W209's to get them in the proper postion!
but then I may run into clearance issues with the W209s larger diameter discs and larger 6 pot calipers, would you agree??
I run 17" winter wheels and 19" summers (right now!!)
Im thinkin Id need to be using at least 18's with the W209 brakes?

and I can see about the cost effectiveness of the C32's brakes.. but I still think the W209 parts (if adaptable) would still be cheaper than an aftermarket kit, such as Brembo, AP Racing, and so on...

J Irwan
03-19-2005, 10:37 PM
The reverse issue isnt too much of a problem.. just have to do the same thing to the C32's to the newer 05 W209's to get them in the proper postion!
but then I may run into clearance issues with the W209s larger diameter discs and larger 6 pot calipers, would you agree??
I run 17" winter wheels and 19" summers (right now!!)
Im thinkin Id need to be using at least 18's with the W209 brakes?

and I can see about the cost effectiveness of the C32's brakes.. but I still think the W209 parts (if adaptable) would still be cheaper than an aftermarket kit, such as Brembo, AP Racing, and so on...

you might be able to use 17" for 05CLK55/SLK555 (R171) 6 pot front brake.

From the look of it the caliper shoulder should be at least the same if not a little tappered compared to C32/C55 caliper.

Regardz,

Metromoto202
05-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I've priced the 2005 w209 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears at alil over 3G's... the brembo 4 piston fronts and rears are over 5000 all together. But they'll fit for sure and come with steel lines. You will need to run 18" for sure... thats probly why the 2005 c55 and clk55 have them, and the 2004's don't

My Questions are... will the w209 rears fit? and with any rear big brake kit installed. What the hell is one to do with the parking brake assembly?

SLAMMED_C
05-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Metromoto202
I've priced the 2005 w209 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears at alil over 3G's... the brembo 4 piston fronts and rears are over 5000 all together. But they'll fit for sure and come with steel lines. You will need to run 18" for sure... thats probly why the 2005 c55 and clk55 have them, and the 2004's don't

My Questions are... will the w209 rears fit? and with any rear big brake kit installed. What the hell is one to do with the parking brake assembly?
I havent done too much research sine this thread started!.. but the rear W209 brakes should bolt up with no issues.. to my knowledge all the cailper mounting points are the same on every model. (even W211 E55, R230 SL55......) they just use adapters that bolt to the caliper to use the standard mounting points on the spindle.
the actual parking brake assembly is the same from model to model too I think.. dont quote me on that though. Im somewhat sure that the diameter of the parking brake surface inside the disc is same when comparing from disc to disc. you may want to confirm that though.
although the only problem you could run into is the locking bolt that holds the disc to the hub.. I think that is in a different location form the W202. the W203 and W209 are the same though. I know that people that run the C32 front brake kit had to get another hole machined into the disc to bolt the discs to the W202 hub. thats what I was under the impression anyway.
hopefully that helps.
and yes you will have to run at least an 18" wheel.. dont forget about proper offset and spoke clearance on the rim to clear the brakes too!!

Ashkan's C280
05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
I know jeff is running thebrakeman brakes and they are very good better than stoptech and brembo, I call them myself, and they seem to be very good, does anyone know if the new breaks that will be on the 63 cars will be able to bolt on, I heard something about them using floating rotors, like the ones evosport offers for e55 owners... those would be sweet

jnolte
05-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
I know jeff is running thebreakman breaks and they are very good better than stoptech and brembo, I call them myself, and they seem to be very good, does anyone know if the new breaks that will be on the 63 cars will be able to bolt on, I heard something about them using floating rotors, like the ones evosport offers for e55 owners... those would be sweet

Dude,

Break: To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently; smash.

Brake: A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction. Something that slows or stops action.

Ashkan's C280
05-21-2006, 09:01 PM
yeah yeah yeah i'm tired...

Ashkan's C280
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM
can someone explain how these storm brake system compares to dual floating rotor system, I do not know much about either..

SLAMMED_C
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
I know jeff is running thebrakeman brakes and they are very good better than stoptech and brembo, I call them myself, and they seem to be very good, does anyone know if the new breaks that will be on the 63 cars will be able to bolt on, I heard something about them using floating rotors, like the ones evosport offers for e55 owners... those would be sweet
never seen a brakeman kit.. any links?
well floating rotors use 2 different material for the hub and braking surface.. but I dont really know how the floating part of the rotor works.
as for the 63 cars.. Im not sure if they will bolt up.. I dont see why not. but arent they a lil big for a W202?!!
and Evosport from what I know dont sell benz parts anymore.

Ashkan's C280
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
www.thebrakeman.com its the storm kit system. and they have a set for c43 and c280... i called and why would evosport stop selling benz parts? they make so much money selling them

Proven Guilty
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
c32 rotors and calipers are direct bolt-on replacements for w202 chassis?

i've got a '99 c230k i'd love to upgrade, and add teflon/stainless steel brake lines

jnolte
05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
c32 rotors and calipers are direct bolt-on replacements for w202 chassis?

i've got a '99 c230k i'd love to upgrade, and add teflon/stainless steel brake lines

yeah i have C32 brakes!

Proven Guilty
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
i've got 19"x8.5" axis milano's with 35 offset. just worried about clearance. i don't want to use spacers period

SLAMMED_C
05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Proven Guilty
i've got 19"x8.5" axis milano's with 35 offset. just worried about clearance. i don't want to use spacers period
how much of a lip do you have on that front rim?.. If I remember they have over a 1" lip right?
I dont think they will clear the C32 brakes cause of the wheel lip.
you need a rim with very little lip up front to get clearance for the brakes... or run spacers.
why dont you like spacers?

Proven Guilty
05-26-2006, 11:44 PM
just bad experiences. unatural "stance" of the car, excessive vibration, suspension issues etc.

i may consider for the rear end to fill the wheel well, but certainly not the front. very much appreciated your help; i believe its a 1.75" lip, its pretty sexy, but i'll have to double check on them. bought them off ebay, and had very good experience with the seller. i've been on the road working, so i haven't gotten much time to play with all my new toys lately

--Edit--

Wow, I was way off! Trying to keep from hijacking this thread and taking it too far off topic; The rims are actually Axis Milano 19"x8.5" with a 38mm offset and 5x112 bolt pattern (w202 standard). They come with a 2.25" lip and are wrapped in 245/35/ZR-19 tires on all four corners.

I'm currently massaging the front fenders for fitment, but whats not to love about all that rubber? Here's a pic of the rims themselves. thanks for your help!

http://home.comcast.net/~tss.hsi/axis.jpg

SLAMMED_C
05-27-2006, 09:37 PM
thats odd.. ive never had any bad experience with wheel spacers at all. i guess depends on what ya use.
Nice wheel sman.. look hot as hell on a W202.
but I can tell you for sure the C32 brakes will not clear that wheel at all! too much lip for clearance for the brakes.
lol.. massage to say the least!.. thats a wide tire!
good luck with them.

OCKlasse
05-28-2006, 08:47 AM
thats odd.. ive never had any bad experience with wheel spacers at all.
good luck with them.

Perhaps his were not hubcentric?

J Irwan
05-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by OCKlasse
Perhaps his were not hubcentric?

I think there has been a lot fo confussion iI've seen on many other forum as well.

Hubcentric spacer does not guarantee shimmy free.

If you look at you OEM hub, you will see that it has center hub ring lip.
This is has to match with the wheel's center ring when you mounted the wheel
This is the part that ensure the wheel is not woobling/shimming when the wheel rotates.

When you put spacer this lips protrution becomes less due to the spacer thickness. When this happend you will get some vibration, since the wheels is not 100% center.

Most of the spacer I've seen so far with thickness of 10mm and up will have this center ring lip on the spacer to avoid shimmy.

However when you buy some 2mm - 7mm spacer they don't have this center ring lip. (So it will depend on the shape of the OEM hub, whether you'll get some vibration when using spacer)

So if the OEM center rim lip is 5mm and you put 5mm spacer , then when you mount the wheel, there is not center ring lip to bite on.

This is an example of 10mm and up spacer with center hub ring lips. (This one from H&R )
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/products/trak/cover.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regardz,

J Irwan