PDA

View Full Version : Programmable Fuel Device for Benz

w202mae
11-13-2004, 11:51 PM
What's a good aftermarket programmable EMS to control fuel for our Benz's? I am doing some research because if no one buys my car then I am just going to keep it and keep modifying it and keep it forever. Going to order the Mosselman twin turbo kit probably sometime this month, now doing my research on an fuel control device. Lastly, how much HP has anyone got out of their C280 before they need to upgrade the mass airflow meter?

If all else fails probably will go back to old tech adding additional fuel injectors with aftermarket injector controller.

Wayne

manny
11-14-2004, 10:30 AM
In your position, I would ask Mosselman what they recommend.
Why re-invent the wheel ? ;)

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 11:39 AM
what year is your 280?

manny
11-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
what year is your 280?

See here: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88538

w202mae
11-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Car is 1997 C280. I didn't see any fuel device nor tuning info on Mosselman's website, so I will wait and see what type of fuel upgrade they offer when I receive the twin turbo kit. I suppose it's just a simple FMU since their kit only runs at 0.4bar (6psi) of boost. FMU is most commonly run basic bolt on turbo kits, but I am after something more advance.

Funny thing is Mossleman website does not have an email address. I guess I will have to call them.

Wayne

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 12:18 PM
I just saw that too, it is weird, it said 193-280 hp something which is not that great, I was expecting at least 120+ gain from a turbo system, does anyone know a place that does twin turbo for our cars, I remember someone saying that can be done so it is worth a look for you, you should be able to gain 180hp I would think

w202mae
11-14-2004, 12:52 PM
There's still much potential to be gained from Mosselman's kit since the kit was only designed to run 6psi of boost. Twin T25 can easily run 14psi of boost, but at that power level you might risk damaging the motor (i.e headgasket might blow first).

If you want 180hp+ gain, surely you need to beef up the fuel system. That's why I am asking if anyone knows of any type of fuel management that works well with our Benz's.

Wayne

Ashkan's C280
11-14-2004, 03:51 PM
can you do anything to stop the headgasket to not blow

Pagz
11-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
can you do anything to stop the headgasket to not blow
change compression ratio,ie different piston size,or crank,or change to thicker headgasket...pistons being the prefered way

SLAMMED_C
11-14-2004, 08:24 PM
But why bother getting the Mosselman kit if your just going to swap out the turbo's.. then have to mess with a different fuel system??.. why not have a shop design a system for you? will be fully custom and I couldnt expect it to cost more than a Mosselman kit.. isnt it around $7-8000 us anyway?
you could go full custom twin turbo.. with a stand alone fuel management system.. fast and furious style!! lol
but seriously.. I wouldnt expect a custom system to cost any more than the Mosselman system.
Hey W202mae: where did you get the Auto Couture Fender Flare Kit from?? I like the way it looks.

w202mae
11-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
[B]But why bother getting the Mosselman kit if your just going to swap out the turbo's.. then have to mess with a different fuel system??

I intend to keep the twin T25 that comes with Mosselman's kit, there's absolutely no reason why anyone wants to go bigger other than running a single large turbo instead. Only reason for fuel system is because I foresee Mosselman's kit only comes with a FMU which only bumps up the fuel pressure, but you can't do much tuning with just a mere FMU. I will keep whatever fuel setup that will come with the kit for the boost that the kit was intended to make the power, just trying to explore what other people are using on their cars, just in case I want to run more boost pressure than the kit was designed to make.

.. why not have a shop design a system for you? will be fully custom and I couldnt expect it to cost more than a Mosselman kit.. isnt it around $7-8000 us anyway?

I was able to found a distributor in the U.S up Northern Cali, called them up and the kit listed for $6500. They said if I do order it they can go lower on the price.

but seriously.. I wouldnt expect a custom system to cost any more than the Mosselman system

I own a speed shop myself, if I was to design my own kit for a customer in all honesty it will be in equal price if not more than Mosselman's kit. It's not the actual cost of the parts involved, but it's the labor and R&D time you are paying for anyone to do any type of custom work. Try asking Kleeman or HPS to custom make a supercharget kit for your C280, you won't walk out anything less than $15k. How much you think the parts involved cost? Way less than that. It's all in the labor and R&D. The only reason why I wouldn't do it myself is because my time is not worth trying to make the kit on my own car but I rather pay the extra money to have a solid ground, and if there's room for improvement, I will do it when we install it. It's actually alot more cost efficient this way.

Hey W202mae: where did you get the Auto Couture Fender Flare Kit from?? I like the way it looks.

Thanks. I got the kit from Auto Couture in Japan, modified it and had them custom molded to the car.

Wayne

w202mae
11-15-2004, 12:58 AM
Okay after extensive research, for now I think I will just keep things simple by using additional injector controller. It seems this is the easiest way to go without investing in expensive EFI systems that the car doesn't really need since I don't intend the car to be a HP monster, I found out HKS injector controller controls up to 8 additional injectors. All I really need is 6 injectors one for each cylinder runner, which can be programmed to be boost dependent. At this point I think I am covered, but I appreciate all of your replies.

Wayne

SLAMMED_C
11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
I love turbo cars.. although I have never owned one I have driven a couple.. Id like to have a turbo car one day.
maybe a scooby wrx..or a A4 1.8.. or even a C280 turbo'd.

Im more the do it yourself type of guy.. it interests me more, if I dont know how to do it I will learn how to do it. if it takes lots of time to make of fine tune im all over it.. I have a few projects Im doing on my car that are like that.
so Id be the one probably building my own custom set up for a C280.. Id like to make a C280 drift car.

and I can see where your coming from with the main cost being all the R&D time.. no doubt on that.. the parts arent exactly that expensive.. its all the time tuning it to make it work right.

So did you deal with Auto Couture in Japan directly?? Im interested in some for my car.. if you care to divulge any info!!

goodluck on your quest for turbo power.. I hope you share some pics of the monster when you get it running.

stox
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
My, this looks like fun!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4504211827&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Although, I have to say, the boost gauge mounting looks pretty poor to me.