PDA

View Full Version : system makes my car RATTLE!

ryhi
11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
i heard if i cut a hole or add ports in my rear deck that my sub will sound much better and my trunk will not rattle as much. can anyone back this up? i have a non-sport c230k and there is no hole where the rear armrest is. would this be the problem to all my rattling??

pnsji
11-16-2004, 01:29 PM
The best way it to put matting on your rear deck and trunk lid. You can try dynamat or some other company and then install them.

albanianbenz
11-16-2004, 01:35 PM
I just got (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T1 subs in a sealed box. Then I removed the reardeck speakers and left that open and applied one layer of Xtreme Dynamat. And there is no rattle i can hear unless the bass drowns it out.

ryhi
11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
will this get rid of my rattling trunk?? i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling

ryhi
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by albanianbenz
I just got (2) 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T1 subs in a sealed box. Then I removed the reardeck speakers and left that open and applied one layer of Xtreme Dynamat. And there is no rattle i can hear unless the bass drowns it out.

how did u take out the rear deck speakers?

pnsji
11-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling
That's why you need dynamat.

how did u take out the rear deck speakers?
The simple answer is you need to take out the rear deck. Please use search.

sleek_benzo
11-16-2004, 01:51 PM
dynamat is too expensive..

other alternative that work just as well..

secondskin.. fatmat.. brownbread.. etc.. search ebay.. :)

audiophile
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
will this get rid of my rattling trunk?? i already fixed my license plate rattle but the trunk itself is still rattling
are you sure its the trunk and not the vent in the trunk, sounds like its flapping?

ShollyC220
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by audiophile
are you sure its the trunk and not the vent in the trunk, sounds like its flapping?

Yes, EXACTLY! Mine sounds like theres a piece of rubber or plastic, "flapping" around under neath the trunk. Is there any way to fix this, as it is so freaking annoying. thanks-

-sholly

ryhi
11-16-2004, 05:35 PM
its the trunklid AND the flapping.

KenzBenz
11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
yea...what the heck is that flapping lol
i can't figure out what it is!

vbrock1137
11-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Are you guys talking about a sound heard from inside, or outside? Dynamat on the rear deck would only insulate the sub more from the cabin, am I right?

For inside rattles, try removing the black plastic tray inside the first aid kit area, it could be rattling against the sheet metal below it. Then, of course your first aid kit lid has nothing to latch to, which is a whole new problem. I know the lid to my first aid kit rattles quite a bit ever since the double sided tape I used on it failed. Also, make sure none of the speaker wires below the rear deck (between the carpeted surface and the sheet metal) are rattling against the metal. Felt and double sided tape can fix that.

ryhi
11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
i only hear rattles outside..

pnsji
11-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by vbrock1137
Dynamat on the rear deck would only insulate the sub more from the cabin, am I right?

When the rear deck rattle, you want to dynamat the surface between the metal reinforcement and the rear shelf. You do not want to block the hole. The dynamat will be a layer between the metal and the shelf so it will not rattle.

11-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
When the rear deck rattle, you want to dynamat the surface between the metal reinforcement and the rear shelf. You do not want to block the hole. The dynamat will be a layer between the metal and the shelf so it will not rattle.

Please confirm that the whole holes have to be also covered by the dynamat.

Thanks a lot:)

pnsji
11-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
Please confirm that the whole holes have to be also covered by the dynamat.

Not for the real deck. You want to allow some air moving from the trunk to the cabin. This is how the bass created by the subwoofer could go into the cabin.

ricerokets4life
11-17-2004, 11:53 AM
i dont think you can cover up that vent on the passenger side of the trunk (thats what causes the flapping noise on mine also) because it allows for pressure equalization when you close your trunk. i really want to get rid of those damn flaps though.

audiophile
11-17-2004, 12:34 PM
i think those flaps are for the battery, i.e. vent:confused:

ShollyC220
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
So I assume this means they must stay... Damn, it sounds like a piece of linoleum floor tile is slapping against something when the bass is cranked. Ah well, the disadvantages of havingh a system...

-sholly

11-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Not for the real deck. You want to allow some air moving from the trunk to the cabin. This is how the bass created by the subwoofer could go into the cabin.

thanks a lot, so you are saing that I cover with dynamat but keep open the 2 holes in order to permit the bass from the sub-woofer in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm so idiot please confirm again sorry for my bad english:(

pnsji
11-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
thanks a lot, so you are saing that I cover with dynamat but keep open the 2 holes in order to permit the bass from the sub-woofer in the trunk?

Sorry if I'm so idiot please confirm again sorry for my bad english:(
Yes :D

pnsji
11-19-2004, 07:37 AM
BTW, matting the trunk lid:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/dls/a6.jpg

Edit:
Here is matting behind the rear deck. Please notice that the speaker hole is not matted.
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/done.jpg

ryhi
11-19-2004, 11:05 AM
good info thanks everyone

11-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Yes :D

thanks a lot you are very nice.:) :D

audiophile
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
you could plug up the holes if you have an optima or some sealed maitnence free battery.;)

11-23-2004, 11:23 PM
you could plug up the holes if you have an optima or some sealed maitnence free battery.;)

please explain:)

audiophile
11-26-2004, 01:48 PM
any battery that can be mounted to on it side or that is sealed does not to be vented like an optima yellow top. the batteries that mercedes supplies with the car is a lead acid battery. you can check how low the fluid level is and top it off as needed. with the optima's the use a sealed design that doesn't use lead acid. some batteries use gel cell technology, these you can mount upside down and still work. you cant do that with a lead acid battery, acid would spill all over the place and corrode everything. all though these batteries are expensive, they usually last longer.
hope this helps.;)

11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
any battery that can be mounted to on it side or that is sealed does not to be vented like an optima yellow top. the batteries that mercedes supplies with the car is a lead acid battery. you can check how low the fluid level is and top it off as needed. with the optima's the use a sealed design that doesn't use lead acid. some batteries use gel cell technology, these you can mount upside down and still work. you cant do that with a lead acid battery, acid would spill all over the place and corrode everything. all though these batteries are expensive, they usually last longer.
hope this helps.;)

ok thanks a lot for your kind and detailed explanation but how this is related to the rear deck insulation? I was asking if the rear deck HOLES need to be covered by Dynamat (or similar), since the subwoofer is in the trunk.:)

thanks a lot for your reply

audiophile
11-29-2004, 01:57 PM
because the holes that are in the trunk need to be left alone if you have the regualr battery. i.e. vents
if you cover those up, the battery cannot vent and could cause an explostion beacuse of the gases:eek:

11-30-2004, 12:17 AM
because the holes that are in the trunk need to be left alone if you have the regualr battery. i.e. vents
if you cover those up, the battery cannot vent and could cause an explostion beacuse of the gases:eek:

Really:eek:

ok thanks again

...but, also having an Optima or similar battery, if you have a sub in the trunk, as suggested by pnsji, is right to left open those two holes. Don't you?

wondering: W202 with bass loudspeaker into the rear deck (so holes are closed) can't install, teoretically, an Optima battery

Hi and thanks again

audiophile
11-30-2004, 11:03 AM
...but, also having an Optima or similar battery, if you have a sub in the trunk, as suggested by pnsji, is right to left open those two holes. Don't you?
no, you can cover up the holes if you have a sealed or optima. thats the only way you can cover the holes;)

11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
:) thanks again

Hi

pnsji
12-01-2004, 08:30 AM
no, you can cover up the holes if you have a sealed or optima. thats the only way you can cover the holes;)

Have you had this kind of setup? How can the bass go to the cabin?????

1SIKBNZ
12-01-2004, 12:13 PM
i have been debating cutting out the square of the emergency kit to kind of "port" the bass and my thought is 1. it may sound better, 2. reduce the air in the trunk therefore reducing the rattle a lil . i am allready matted everywhere but still get a tiny bit. anyone done this? i think brabus may have. results? thanx!

audiophile
12-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Have you had this kind of setup? How can the bass go to the cabin????? well , out of all the cars i've done, the mercs. have to be one the hardest to get bass beacuse of the insulation.
i don't have the bose sys. so what i did is took the rear deck off and noticed that there are the patterns for the holes right next to the mid bass drivers.
took a circle maker, drew the same size hole, as in the car. and cut it out. ;) next i filed down th edges, put some dynamat all the way around.
after that i got alot more output. i still noticed some port noise from the holes. so i got some flared ports, and cut as close to the end as possible, so that no length is intruding in the trunk.(by having any kind if port length in the trunk you modify the sound, you dont want to do that because you want the box to do all the work) and voila! smoother output and more of it.
i still need to work on my 3rd brake ligh the base of it is all broken from the sub. any one have this problem too?

pnsji
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
So after you cut second set of holes, did you cover the hole with Dynamat as well?? I am getting lost here.

audiophile
12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
no just the edges. so the air moves alittle more smoothly, but was geting some port noise so i got some flared ports and cut them, so when i put the ports in the holes the only thing there was the flare of the port. ;)

)___________(
|___________|
) (
this is the hole with the port (side view)

i.e. two ports in total.
one port for each hole. each side of the port has a flare

audiophile
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
sorry for the poor illustration, i dont have a digi cam.:rolleyes:

pnsji
12-01-2004, 04:54 PM
so I think we are at the same page. I just want to make sure 1998K understand that you don't want to cover the holes on the rear deck if you want to let the bass from the subwoofer box inside the trunk to go inside the cabin.

audiophile
12-01-2004, 09:09 PM
yup:D

12-02-2004, 12:23 AM
so I think we are at the same page. I just want to make sure 1998K understand that you don't want to cover the holes on the rear deck if you want to let the bass from the subwoofer box inside the trunk to go inside the cabin.

pnsji thanks a lot for your effort, in fact I understood that.

So no cover the holes if you need bass from the trunk to the cabin

:)

thanks both in any case

Hi

crazy00c230k
12-03-2004, 08:26 PM
also if ur car is rattling alot inside u mite want to check out the third brake light, i took me forever 2 figure out thats what was making all that freaking noise, but i just took of the back cover part of it, stuffed some foam in there and it fixed the problem