PDA

View Full Version : Temp Gauge problems...

GDawgC220
11-22-2004, 10:24 AM
hey all!

Haven't been on here in a while...mainly cuz I don't drive my w202 much anymore...bought a new car :D

'05 A4 1.8TQ 6-Speed, loaded up. Fun little thing.

Anyways, recently, the coolant gauge has been bothering me. It use to take it about 3-5 minutes to reach about 80 degrees. Now, it stays at ~60 for 10-15minutes+. It can take about 20-30 minutes before it starts to climb again to ~80 degrees. Not low on coolant, no light and physically checked the tank.

Car's got 145k on it, still original thermostat, I'm pretty sure. Do you guys think it's the thermostat going? How easy would it be to replace the thermostat myself?

Thanks for the help guys :)

Rocky
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
doesn't hurt to change it..i changed mine twice already. and also you ned to flush your coolant every 2 years.

mine stayed around 60 as well..changed the therm and back to normal. easy procedure and cost liek 30 bucks. just remmeber which way the little hole was facing.

Yes you can change it yourself. it's 3 bolts i believe just above the waterpump.

GDawgC220
11-22-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
doesn't hurt to change it..i changed mine twice already. and also you ned to flush your coolant every 2 years.

mine stayed around 60 as well..changed the therm and back to normal. easy procedure and cost liek 30 bucks. just remmeber which way the little hole was facing.

Yes you can change it yourself. it's 3 bolts i believe just above the waterpump.

thanks man.

I tried doing a search for DIY replacement but couldn't find anything...could you be a little more specific if possible? Thanks. :)

Rocky
11-22-2004, 02:59 PM
looking at the engine bay....the front of the engine (closest to you) to the right is a little dome shaped housing with rubber tubes that house coolant attached to it. The thermostat is in there. remove bolts, pry the dome off and replace the themostat, it just pops out and pops into place and put the dome back on and tighten.

GDawgC220
11-23-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Rocky
looking at the engine bay....the front of the engine (closest to you) to the right is a little dome shaped housing with rubber tubes that house coolant attached to it. The thermostat is in there. remove bolts, pry the dome off and replace the themostat, it just pops out and pops into place and put the dome back on and tighten.

Thanks man, I'll probably pick up a thermostat at the local dealer soon and give it a shot!

Rocky
11-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Good luck mang..easy job to do..just remmeber which way the thermostat faces and the hole too..you'll see what i mean when you look at the new thermostat.

jnenad16
12-05-2004, 02:19 AM
also you should flush your cooling system as well
and i would recommend using a fuel system cleaner because sometimes carbon buildup in you engine can cause sluggish warmups

nenad