PDA

View Full Version : washed engine, now hesitating and dieing

fastmayte
11-28-2004, 10:41 AM
hey yall, hope yall had a happy thankx giving.

ok so i went to the car was today, decided to wash my engine cuz of oil leaks here and there by the block. so i sprayed the lower half of the engine and sprayed a bit a water over the top to take off dirt.

didn't go near the computers. checked there, all dry.

so now the engine starts and shuts off. if i hold the rpms, it hesitates at betweek 1-2.5k rpms. it drives fine excepet for that 1-2.5k rpms hesitations. (rpms fluctuate up and down). and it dies unless i hold the accelerator.

i haven't opened up the spark plug cover but will do so later today. but don't think thats the problem. know where i should check first?

oh i also checked if there are any codes, none yet. i'll try driving it a bit more to see if anything pops up

thankx

714guy
11-28-2004, 03:30 PM
chance are that you got the water into the spark plugs. Happened to me ONCE, never did that again. Just replace the plugs and take an air compressor and spray it dry. Next time use simple green and a towel and toothbursh. it works wonder. :D :D :D good luck hope thats the problem.

fastmayte
11-28-2004, 04:33 PM
hey, yea thats what i thought but i checked the plugs, they were all dry. it doens't miss fire, just revs up like 1000 rpm and then starts to die, then i gotta rev it up and it keeps doing that from 1k-2.5k rpm. weird.
thankx

marksbenz
11-28-2004, 05:05 PM
check sparkplug wires. u probably got it wet

fastmayte
11-28-2004, 05:14 PM
hey, i checked the ends at the spark plugs, they were all dry. i didn't check the ends at the coil. i'll check that tommorow. they did miss fire if i removed them at the spark plug end so i assume that thats fine. but i'll check it again tom.

sanf
11-29-2004, 06:38 AM
just keep on gasing it and drive it until the water's gone. the shaky engine will go away.

monopole
11-29-2004, 07:06 AM
This is a far fetch thought, but you might want to check if your O2 sensor got wet. If water got into that part, it will give the same results as you mentioned.
Good luck.

djdoughboy
11-29-2004, 08:09 AM
the same thing happened to my car... and it was the mass air flow sensor... the symptoms were the same as well...

fastmayte
11-29-2004, 05:44 PM
hey, yup sounds like a sensor problem. it's very consistant. it's not something that acts weird sometimes and goes away. so it's definatly not mechanical/basic electrical. sounds more like a sensor problem. man i hope it's not the MAF. too exp. i think it may be the TPS sensor. but i'm gonna go to a benz shop and have a proper computer hook up and see which sensor is laging.

thankx yall. i'll keep on the update

manny
11-29-2004, 07:16 PM
I would think, if it is a sensor problem, you would have a Check Engine Light on. ;)

fastmayte
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
hey, yea acutally it did today. it came up with the code
P1444 . the actron scanner says " Manufacturer control. Auxillary emission controls "

so i talked to a mercedes shop, they thoughtit might be a speed sensor or the MAF. he said definatly the MAF is bad cuz the idle has dropped to 500 rpm and the revs jump up and down when reved up. after that it got really bad and i can't drive it now. it has been in the 60's today so wondering the the MAF can't adjust to the cold weather.

but i'm gonna try to start it up tommrow and drive it to a shop where they have a computer with graphs and see with sensor is laging .

thankx

djdoughboy
11-30-2004, 07:24 PM
its the MAF bro... trust me... same thing happened to my car... exact same sypmtoms... i know a place where you can get a used one for $90... that is what i did... sure beats paying $350 for a new one... let me know if you want their number...

fastmayte
11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
hey, sure gimmi the number, lemme call em up. i called a dealer, they said they can do a exchanger for 270 new. i got a dealers account and no tax, so thats like 210 or so then. i found a used one for like 125. but lemme call up your guy and see what he can do.

thankx dawg

djdoughboy
11-30-2004, 07:42 PM
ok number is 888 229 2979...

fastmayte
12-06-2004, 03:34 PM
yea turned out to be the MAS. bought one from the dealer for 230 after dealer discount. runs good. dealer noticed my engine wire harness going really bad. thats my next project. :(
thankx alot all

djdoughboy
12-06-2004, 06:24 PM
no problem... did you call the number i gave you? MAS $90...

fastmayte
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
hey, i didn't get a chance to call cuz i decided to get a new one from the dealer. but i might give him a call soon to get used one just as a back up. thankx dawg

djdoughboy
12-06-2004, 07:46 PM
no problem...