PDA

View Full Version : HID - H1 or H7

Blk_GQ
11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Has anyone installed a HID conversion kit on their H1 fog lights that are bulit into the headlight system on the 1999-2000 202s?

I'm thinking about doing this instead of the H7 headlights, because I'll be able to choose when I want the extra light. I'm hoping to lessen the issues of a bad beam pattern and blinding oncoming drivers that everyone noticed when they switched over.

Thanks

jnolte
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
i plan on it. i havent gotten around to it yet. I have to take a look to see if any body modification will be necissary

Blk_GQ
11-29-2004, 02:14 PM
When you do it can you please post what kit you use and how it turned out? I am wondering if there will be any electrical issues because these are the lights that come on after you've used the headlights and close the doors.

I am assuming the set up would be the same as the H7, but I've never had to change any of the bulbs in the headlight.

Thanks again.

Jbizzyc43
11-30-2004, 02:12 PM
I just put a Philips Ultinon H1 HID Conversion Kit on My C43 fog lights. It's probably the best thing I did to the car next to lowering it! Let's just say I love to drive at night. It's soooooooooooooo bright! Well, thats because I have factory HID, also! I wanted the fogs to match and not just the color, but the intensity of the light. I tried it in really bad fog and the light reflects on the road markings so much better. Contact Ken at www.autotriks.com. $499 shipped for the kit. Don't go with the cheaper kits. This kit uses genuine Philips ballasts and 6000k bulbs. Get it! Get it! Get it!!!!!!!!! Peace!

Jbizzyc43
11-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh, and the install took a little bit of time, but it wasn't too hard. You've got to remove the bumper and drill a hole the the fog light rear covers. I mounted the ballasts in the bumper by removing a couple of the adjacent pieces of the bumper absorber and neatly "stuffing" the wiring in between the bumper cover and inner frame. It all fit perfectly and snug. I grounded each ballast to the metal bumper and neatly ran the power wires through the engine bay. It's got kind of a weird wiring set up with a relay and all. You have to find a constant (+) power source under the hood. It says to hook it up to the battery, but there are a few good + sources under there.

Jbizzyc43
11-30-2004, 02:25 PM
I haven't had any problems with glare althought they're brighter than my factory HID headlights. It doesen't seem to bother anybody and I've actually tested it by driving in another car and having someone drive my car and drive towards me at different angles. As far as the beam pattern, it's not too scattered considering you have that metal piece in the fog light housing that covers the tip of the bulb and if you get close to a wall, you can actually see a sharp cutoff line the beam makes. I'll try to take some pics. Believe me it's baddass.

MrSpace
11-30-2004, 04:13 PM
we all dream of having factory HID

the problem is most of us are stuck with the normal halogens

Etienne

Jbizzyc43
11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, this kit will look awesome in the headlights. Like I mentioned, this 6000k kit is way brighter than my factory xenons.

Blk_GQ
12-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the response. Since I have two options with the headlights, do you suggest I go with the foglight H1 conversion or the headlight H7 conversion? I looked at the H1 lights today and there is a big metal sheild over it. Do yo know if this would remain with the upgrade or have to be removed? I know the Xenon buld tends to be longer.

Jbizzyc43
12-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, If you don't have xenons in your headlights, get some for those first! Oh and about that metal piece in the fog light housing, you have to leave it or the light would be scattered EVERYWHERE! It would be nice and super super bright, but you would definitely get pulled over for it. Anyway, it's still brighter than my HID headlights even with the metal piece in it! If you were to use a halogen bulb and remove the metal piece, you could have brighter lights and probably get away with it. It reminds me. On my M3 that I used to have, the fogs were similar. I removed the H1 bulb and cut out the metal piece over it and put in H7 size bulbs. It was really bright, but not blinding but the light was everywhere. So yeah, I would go with putting xenons in you headlights first, of course. I'm guessing yours is and H7 headlight size, so get a Philips 6000k kit. You'll be glad you did.

Eurosport
12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
once you go xenon, you can't go back
the difference is night and day, an apple II comp to an imac ;p

Brabus
12-13-2004, 12:08 PM
I have Xenon in my C36 fogs and regular H4 lamps... so bright I love it. I was OG with 4 Xenon back in like 2000.

In any case, now I'm trying to go with another set in the middle fog lights.... is that H1 or H7 connectors?

Jbizzyc43
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
why don't you put xenons in your headlights?

Blk_GQ
12-13-2004, 02:28 PM
I decided to not do this upgrade. I looked around and it seems to be a big head ache, especially if I don't upgrade the headlight housing to reduce glare.

But thanks for the feedback on this.

I guess I'll spend the money on exhaust or something else.

JDoggery
03-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
I have Xenon in my C36 fogs and regular H4 lamps... so bright I love it. I was OG with 4 Xenon back in like 2000.

In any case, now I'm trying to go with another set in the middle fog lights.... is that H1 or H7 connectors?

did you ever put this in your upper fogs?