PDA

View Full Version : please help

1crzybenz
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
hey guys have 2 questions

1) my key wont turn in my ignition the steering wheel isnt really locked i moved itb ack and forth trying to nudge it but the key wont turn AT ALLLLLLL. i dont know why. i just went into my car and tahts what happened.

2) my battery is dead the alternator i think is broken and i cant get it out of park be cause of the key thing. is there a switch i can hit to make my car go into nuturel?

thanks guys

jnolte
12-02-2004, 06:46 PM
sounds like you need a new lock tumber or ignition switch, do a search on mercedesshop.com there is bunches of info on it

jnenad16
12-02-2004, 06:48 PM
well, your ignition switch is most likely broken, the reason why the shifter is locked is because the ignition switch is connected with the shifter interlock cable. so you either get the ign. switch replaced or you can take off the cover below the dashboard and have someone who knows how the interlock cable works try release it for you.
as for the battery, replace the alternator if you think its bad, and recharge your battery or replace if it does not hold the charge.

nenad

1crzybenz
12-02-2004, 07:38 PM
thanks os much for the info man,

but usually how does this occur . like last night my car was working and all of a sudden its broken? how does it break

jnenad16
12-02-2004, 07:54 PM
normal wear and tear, if you hold the ignition switch in the start position for lorger periods than needed when starting, it will break prematurely. as for the alternator, when you get your car strarted, check the charging voltage, if its not less than 11V, you can most likely fix the problem just by replacing the voltage regulator mounted on the back of the alternator. if it charges below 11V, you will need to replace the alternator. i already told you about the battery.

nenad

adelaros
12-04-2004, 04:58 PM
What is the aprox. cost of the replacin the ignition switch?

jnenad16
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
the ignition switch itsefl is between $80-$100, plus the labor is about 2 or 3 hrs.

1crzybenz
12-06-2004, 06:38 AM
lol i dont think so its costing me 1000 CND to be fixed. they just called

bikeman311
12-06-2004, 08:04 AM
wow, i'm having the exact same problem today. i however am attributing the fact that i cant turn the key to the car having no power, therefore it doesnt recognize the radio frequency being put out by my key, therefore the ignition tumbler stays locked. basically the car doesnt know the key is there.

I'm trying: topping off the battery w/ distilled water (should fix it if its low). then charging the battery.

bikeman311
12-06-2004, 06:30 PM
well, my battery is charging right now. i'm kind of concerned that no one has said: "man thats a good idea" or "wow, you are going to ruin your benz"

hopefully its not the latter.

bikeman311
12-06-2004, 07:29 PM
alright. i was to rushed to actually charge the battery, so i jumped it off of my wife's. still have had no CEL whatsoever. the car got running fine, i reset the radio code and the windows, and finally drove it around. all in all it ran for about an hour. time will tell if it works. i'll keep everyone updated.

bikeman311
12-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Good news!! The battery held the charge all night. Car's running great!

1CrzyBenz- Looks like i could have saved you about 999CND. (it cost me $1 for the distilled water)

jnolte
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by bikeman311
Good news!! The battery held the charge all night. Car's running great!

1CrzyBenz- Looks like i could have saved you about 999CND. (it cost me $1 for the distilled water)

the battery may not be your problem If you have a 1998 benz or newer you will have a IR key. Its the Smart key or infared key. if it dosent reconize the key your EIS may be going out. You will have to go to the dealership get a new ignition and order new keys. The dealership has to do this beacause it involves a green key.

bikeman311
12-07-2004, 10:25 PM
my problem was the battery. when i checked the MB recalls, there was one in 02 (before it was mine) for the electrolyte fluid in the battery. well that never showed up in the car's maintenance history. when i unscrewed the plugs in the top of the battery, it appeared to be bone dry and took nearly the entire gallon of distilled water to refill. it seems to be working fine now.

jnenad16
12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by bikeman311
my problem was the battery. when i checked the MB recalls, there was one in 02 (before it was mine) for the electrolyte fluid in the battery. well that never showed up in the car's maintenance history. when i unscrewed the plugs in the top of the battery, it appeared to be bone dry and took nearly the entire gallon of distilled water to refill. it seems to be working fine now.

hey, you should try this for your battery. i got a free sample at the SEMA show from the company that makes it.i put it in my battery, let it sit overnight and in the morning the starter cranked strongly and the car now starts easier than it did before i used this kit . anyways here it is:
http://www.batterylifeplus.com/