PDA

View Full Version : Spacers on the front - Problem?

c_lee
12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
So I did my search, and I seem to find a bit of different issues.

Most people don't seem to address, but one person (kenbenz) said that 5 mm spacers in the front for the w202 doesn't work - causes shaking. Anyone else have this problem as well??

I have 99 c280 sport and need to put a 5 mm spacer all around - anyone else put on 5 mm spacers all around have problems? please let me know thanks

KWiK
12-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't use a spacer that thin on any wheel. It isn't thick enough to be truely hub-centric.

714guy
12-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by KWiK
I wouldn't use a spacer that thin on any wheel. It isn't thick enough to be truely hub-centric.

Ditto, those thin spacers are generic and not hubcentric, Call up TWS and see if they can get some Hubcentric ones made.

KenzBenz
12-06-2004, 11:05 PM
yea i think the 5mm are too thin like kwik said, it cant be hubcentric, true hubcentric will have the lip part that you can mount behind the wheel, thats the only way and i think hubcentric spacers start at 10mm minimum, so if your car is lowered and have a 10mm spacer, you can expect some rubbing action..like me =/ although the 5's will work on the rear and if won't affect the ride.

jnenad16
12-07-2004, 04:50 PM
i have 5mm in the front,and 20mm in the back. it took me about 15min for each front wheel to center the spacer. the wheels felt out of balance at first, then i centered the spacers again, and now its fine.(i would hate to have to take off the wheels again LOL)

c_lee
12-07-2004, 05:16 PM
are you not using a hubcentric spacer?

Originally posted by jnenad16
i have 5mm in the front,and 20mm in the back. it took me about 15min for each front wheel to center the spacer. the wheels felt out of balance at first, then i centered the spacers again, and now its fine.(i would hate to have to take off the wheels again LOL)

jnenad16
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by c_lee
are you not using a hubcentric spacer?

not in the front.

solodough
12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
5mm eibach spacers all around on 19's w/35 series tires and NO complaints at all

c_lee
12-07-2004, 10:03 PM
i read that the eibach spacers come with bolts. is this true? and how do they what the right lenght bolt would be?

Originally posted by solodough
5mm eibach spacers all around on 19's w/35 series tires and NO complaints at all

KenzBenz
12-08-2004, 12:07 AM
wow, solo really?? i couldn't get them to work not after like 10 times....anything special you had to do?

714guy
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by c_lee
i read that the eibach spacers come with bolts. is this true? and how do they what the right lenght bolt would be?

Usually they are extra, a least with the H and R s i had to buy them seperate. Also the you will have to check if the lugs will go with the wheels since Lug length will vary with wheels.

Also the only 5 -7 mm spacers that i know of that is hubcentric are the BRABUS ones.
Check ebay, i 've them on there from time to time.

KenzBenz
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
hey 714guy , i've never seen them before...if you ever see them again can you let me know? thanks

solodough
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by KenzBenz
wow, solo really?? i couldn't get them to work not after like 10 times....anything special you had to do?

5mm ain't that thick - like the size of my GFs gucci ring so the eibachs fit snugly around the hub with room left for a wheel to hang on so everything lined up. worked out cool. also, at www.pure-motorsport.com they friggin charge seperately for the lugs which are sent sealed in the factory eibach box with the spacers. who knows why they do that ish . . .
just do some math and make sure the price for everything adds up to a deal cuz h&r's came with bolts all at one fixed price.

MikekiM
12-08-2004, 04:39 PM
ALL H&R SPACERS ARE HUBCENTRIC

What you guys are referring to is the additional mounting lip on the spacer. This extra lip aids in hanging the wheel on the spacer. 5mm spacers do not have this extra mounting lip.

H&R spacers do NOT come with bolts. There is a small space inside the H&R box where you can PUT bolts. That's precisely what we do when customers order bolts with their spacers.

Hope that clears things up.

Michael
PURE Motorsport

KenzBenz
12-09-2004, 01:47 AM
i still dont understand how a 5mm will work on the fronts, it doesnt have that additional mounting lip therefore making the car vibrate at higher speeds...

MikekiM
12-09-2004, 05:51 AM
On most cars the hub sticks out more than 5mm. So even with the added spacer, there should be enough hub remaining for the the wheel to rest on.
I know this is the case with the W203, I haven't looked recently at a W202, but I suspect it should also be the case.

KenzBenz
12-09-2004, 11:12 AM
maybe my hub is different, because i've tried using 3 mm spacers before, but it still vibrated.