PDA

View Full Version : K&N filter

ryhi
06-15-2003, 07:32 PM
has anyone experienced noticable performance gains after intalling a K&N? does changing the filter to a K&N change the sound of the car?

Denlasoul
06-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Gains are relatively minimal if you are just swapping filters. Supposedly, the K&N's are allowing your engine to breathe better. I dont really know if this is true or not. When I replaced mine, I also cleaned out the airbox and removed the air intake duct covers. There is a little more noise but no REAL noticeable diference in power. One way to check is a before and after dyno run. Kinda pricey to find out you gained 0-5hp.

ryhi
06-15-2003, 07:44 PM
another question...are these "turbonator" and air vortex things real or a scam? they claim to give u more power and better gas mileage. has anyone installed one of these into their car?

Denlasoul
06-15-2003, 07:52 PM
I couldnt answer that one. From what I saw in the infomercial, the product sounded good. Keep in mind that infomercials are supposed to get the consumer to believe the hype they are selling. I wouldnt expect any power gains, but gas mileage could be better.

Maybe you should cough up the dough and buy one then write a "Featured Story" about it.

Question: What are you trying to accomplish with your car? More power?

JRE320
06-15-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
another question...are these "turbonator" and air vortex things real or a scam? they claim to give u more power and better gas mileage. has anyone installed one of these into their car?

If I were u I won't waste my money on such thing. It might just create problem in your car and will cost you more to repair.

jnolte
06-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Get the K&N filter. Its not noticable but it is helping your engine. ANd dont waste time on the Tornado its trash my freind got one and they dont work.

pnsji
06-16-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Get the K&N filter. Its not noticable but it is helping your engine.

In what sense?
Do you have one in your car now?
why is it helping your engine?
Helping breaking your MAF sensor?

Brabus
06-16-2003, 07:49 AM

Noi good, these are a scam. I researched a lot into it after I saw the infomercial.

-Jeremy

JRE320
06-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by pnsji
In what sense?

Hey you!!! you're going back to the principals office!!!! :p :D :D ;)

Brabus
06-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by JRE320

hahha

pnsji
06-16-2003, 11:32 AM

hustling a newbie is one thing.. but giving a wrong information need some attention :)

Rocky
06-16-2003, 11:46 AM
In what sense?

:werd:

Only thing it helps is the mercedes dealership (replacing the MAS) and you just get losses. (wallet will lose some weight)

JRE320
06-16-2003, 12:17 PM
hustling a newbie is one thing.. but giving a wrong information need some attention :)

So you mean to say you never installed a K&N filter into your C180?

pnsji
06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
So you mean to say you never installed a K&N filter into your C180?

Hehe I installed K&N already and I do NOT think it helps my engine at all (except allowing more dirt inside the engine).

So I do not agree with the jnolte that he told everybody that it helps the engine...........

:cool:

ryhi
06-16-2003, 02:07 PM
i need to replace my filter....should i get a paper one or should i dish out the extra money to get a K&N?

jnolte
06-16-2003, 02:39 PM
I think the K&n does help but that is my opinion. Pnsji what do you sugggest??

Rocky
06-16-2003, 02:53 PM
This topic has been exhuasted in many other forums. Concensus is that it makes very little or no difference, cept for sound and it seems like it breaks your MAS if you oil it too much. I had one, came preoiled from K&N. A month later, dead MAS (MAS = Very very expensive). Many will give you the same answers.

So if you HAVE to ask if you should use a K&N? I would say no. Not worth it.

pnsji
06-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
I think the K&n does help but that is my opinion. Pnsji what do you sugggest??

WHy you choose something that is more expensive and could possibly brake your MAF sensor that cost $350?????
K&N allows more dirt as well to the engine.

I now supporting the original paper intake from MB. Works best imho.

Renn 208
06-16-2003, 03:05 PM
like brake pads, and comand...OEM wins again!

DerGolf1.8T
06-17-2003, 09:22 AM
what i've found from using K&N filters...

no horsepower gains.
no increased gas mileage

but

smoother power delivery
better acceleration at 80+ mph.

sounds like you MB guys get problems with your MAS.. kinda similar with VW's and their MAF's. so far i've never had a problem but then perhaps for once an MB part is more sensative than an VW part.

as far as the tornados go.. they don't work and are a scam. the same product has been marketed under different names for years because people get used to it and realize its crap. aside from not working it has the potential to kill.. you guessed it, your MAS (or MAF in my case). the supposed vortex of air they create throws all the air in a pinpointed spot on your sensors and that really pisses them off. so then they decide to fail on you. not worth the money.

mis-u-jerr
06-25-2003, 10:24 PM
I asked my service writer (still under warranty, so going to the dealer) and she said, just the changes in air flow will set the codes to flying... let alone the MAS issue. But I have a feeling that she is very conservative... <Gasp> you want to put 18's on?? That sorta thing. So they are still sitting in the garage unwrapped. And remember, a C43 take TWO, so out $85...
Someone wanna buy 'em?:p

WeatherMan
06-26-2003, 08:01 AM
So far RamFX foam filters are working well- I have registered slightly higher manifold pressure and air flow by my OBDII chip (Davis CarChip)- no real difference in feeling and I'll have to wait to see if the filter stops sand/dust well. However, RamFX uses a super sticky polymer instead of oil, so it shouldn't flow through to the mass airflow meter. The biggest difference RamFX preaches is that their filter dirty will flow better than the OEM or K&N dirty... we'll see.

Recaro18
06-26-2003, 08:31 AM
i need to replace my filter....should i get a paper one or should i dish out the extra money to get a K&N?

GET OEM!!!

speedybenz
06-26-2003, 08:13 PM
WeatherMan,

What kind of chip do you have in your C43? And what does it modify in your ECU?

Jeff

WeatherMan
06-27-2003, 08:02 AM
The Davis CarChip is not an ECU chip, it is an ODBII reader. Check there site for more info Davis CarChip (http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/list_drive.asp?grp=c1). I have the CarChip E/X, which is about half the price of some of the PDA/laptop software and cable combos, but it does not display real-time info, it is downloaded to a PC.

Very easy and has great logging features tracking OBDII parameters, including intake air temp, coolant temp, engine load, throttle position, fuel system status, etc, and gives all trouble codes. It also logs the basics including speed and time, plus hard/extreme accelerations and hard/extreme braking events. Even has an accident log, where if you have an extreme braking or collision it will log the previous 20 seconds of speed related data. I even left it in when I took it to the shop one time (since it is very small) and was able to see that even though the tech had fun with my C43, but never exceeded the speed limit on the interstate. I like it, but will probably also get a real-time reader for diagnosing problems or tuning, but leave the CarChip in for regular use.

CKlasse
06-27-2003, 08:20 AM
basically, its a memory bank that reads OBDII correct? How do you retrieve the data?

EDIT: Oops nevermind..I just went to the site and got the info

Includes data logger, software on CD, download cable, and power adapter. Requires Windows 95 or above, at least 5MB free hard disk space, and one free serial port. Add our optional USB-to-Serial Cable to connect to USB.

Pretty nifty!

BenzMeister
06-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Go to a K&N, they do work, contrary to what a lot of people say. They are for real and a good investment, I started in 94 with my first K&N in my wife Audi 100S wagaon, today the car is still running great with 95k+ miles. Just had a tuneup and I had the mechanic install Bosch plus 4's, the original plugs were nice and clean also the car never had a MAS failure.

jnolte
06-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Hehe I installed K&N already and I do NOT think it helps my engine at all (except allowing more dirt inside the engine).

So I do not agree with the jnolte that he told everybody that it helps the engine...........

:cool:

WELL, I think they do help... Anywayz what are you talking about??? In the scotty-c website it says you like them hippocrite. hahaha lol. :D :D

Denlasoul
06-27-2003, 02:05 PM
ok, from what I can gather on the forums, it looks like a K&N filter with excessive oil can hurt your cars. i also noticed alot of the people posting have the M104 based engine. i am guessing it has something to do with the location of the MAS. since it is right up the way form the airbox/filter, then it is probably easier to get oil on the MAS.

now, on my car I dont even know the location of the MAS. I am guessing it is buried somewhere after the airbox. I know the airbox is attached to a wire/mesh-like opening going into my engine. I am guessing it is right after that or even further down the way?

my point being, is that M104 engines are proned to the MAS failure b/c of the close location of the MAS. if my car's MAS is relatively close to the airbox, then I should see a MAS failure coming up i the near future (knock on wood).

anyone know where the MAS in a C43 is located?

speedybenz
06-27-2003, 02:24 PM
When you pull your airbox off and see that round piece with the screens, that is your MAF. It connects to a 90 degree elbow that runs into your throttle body. The MAF is about 4 inches long.

Jeff

BenzMeister
06-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I've read on some other Mercedes boards that Mercedes has a problem with the MAS in the V6 model year 99 C class. I've read about people having them changed once a year. So I don't think the K&N if oiled correctly causes the problem. When I got a check engine lite, I called my dealer and he said on the phone it's probably the MAS, he went on to say they replace them frequently in C280 V6