View Full Version : Coolant loss, stumped

Rocky
12-12-2004, 05:25 AM
ok. i though i fixed that coolant loss problem i had by replacing the leaky waterpump. i'm still losing coolant and the ligh comes on every other day. i'm stumped. i dun think it's coming out the exhuast cause there is no sweet smell. i'm stumped.

would coolant in the exhuast cause a CEL light to appear?

stox
12-12-2004, 08:21 AM
From your description, it sounds like you are losing around a pint every day. Assuming you are driving it a reasonable distance every day, a pretty small leak can account for this.

You don't mention if the rate of coolant loss changed after replacing the water pump. My first suggestion would be to check the radiator carefully. A pinhole may have been caused while working on the water pump. I would also check the water pump, it wouldn't be the first time a replacement pump was defective.

manny
12-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Another option you can explore is to have the cooling system pressure-tested.
Any decent garage can do this for a minimal charge.
Don't take a chance on hurting something very expensive ( engine ). ;)

JRE320
12-12-2004, 10:52 AM
It sounded like you need a head gasket job. do it now before it's too late.

ShollyC220
12-12-2004, 11:49 AM
I need a new head gasket at the moment, and right now I'm only leaking oil, but coolant may be soon to follow if I don't get it fixed soon...

-sholly

I'd check the headgasket as your cause for leaking coolant if you already got a new water pump

jnenad16
12-12-2004, 12:25 PM
when you replaced the pump, did you tighen enough the radiator hoses , also its recommended to replace all the hoses when you replace the pump, especially the bypass hose(the short one between the pump and the cylinder head). have you ever repladed a coolant cap, it might be bad. also, like sholly said, it might be the head gasket. to check this, start the car,rev the engine, and look at you tailpipe for any white smoke. also inspect the radiator(check the drain cock,it happens alot that peole forget to tighten it).. check the heater hoses. check the coolant tank(it usually leaks at the seam, or the neck).

nenad

Rocky
12-12-2004, 08:03 PM
i didn't get the mech's to change any of the hoses. When I start the car, there is no white smoke, but after about 20 seconds there is white smoke..but that's cause it's 0 degrees celsius out...cold. Ther smoke does not have a sweet smell. Rad cap, changed 3 times. Grrrrrr.....i'll have to take the shielding off my car and wait for a dry day, as it's snowing and raining season and see where th eleak can be. if not..replace all the hoses....grrrrr.