PDA

View Full Version : The DIY grill thread!!! (lots of pics)

mr. gatsbury
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Ok, I know this isn't rocket science but I just installed my grill and I put together a "Do it Yourself" thread for the archives. I purchased the grill from www.autoblz.com after reading a thread from merclover. I have to admit, I purchased a grill before from ebay. I can't remember the guys name but the grill was garbage (poor finish and fit). This grill's finish is remarkable and the chrome parts are real, no sticky chrome garbage. Definitely superior quality. For anyone that is curious to know it shipped within 3 days and was packaged quite nice. It was wrapped in so much bubble wrap I could have bounced it off the floor. Anyway if you guys have any questions let me know...

Before and After:
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/befornafter.gif

So you start with your stock, less than glamorous, grill:
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/before1.gif

To start there are eight bolts on the reverse side of your grill as I have highlighted in the picture below. Four of the bolts line the top and there are two on each side of the grill. Remove all of the bolts before you start pulling any of the clips.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step1.gif

After all of the bolts are removed there will be two black plastic pieces on each side of the hood latch that fall right out, if not just leave them be you do not need to remove these pieces to complete the grill but the bolts you remove hold them in place.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step2b.gif

Now that you have all the bolts removed notice that there are eight clips that hold the grill in place. There will be four large clips and four small clips. The large clips line the top and there are two small clips on each side. IT IS ABSOLUTELY IMPERITIVE THAT YOU REMEMBER THE POSITIONING OF THE CLIPS AND HOW THEY SLIDE OVER THE METAL. Here is where the clips are located and what they look like.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step2.gif
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step3.gif

After all of the clips are removed you will see a single philips head screw at the base of the framing. You can remove the screw before or after you remove the framing. The screw is only there to hold the grill insert to the framing. it does not hold the framing or grill insert to the hood.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step4.gif

The easiest way to pull the frame out is from the two bottom corners. Apply a little pressure and it will slide right out.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step5.gif

Once you have the framing out the grill insert will slide right out. It sits quite loose in the frame without the clips holding it in place.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step6.gif

Clean the framing if necessary and then get the new insert ready for installation. Here is a picture of the grill and a side pic showing how the chrome inserts are weaved into the rest of the frame (no sticky chrome tape shmizzle)
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step7.gif

Now here's the more difficult part of the installation. This grill fits a whole lot more snug that the original. Have you ever gotten a plastic whatever and noticed that there may be some excess plastic around the edges from how they are pressed at the factory? My grill had some excess plastic on the top. I used a razor knife to shave the plastic a bit till it fit just right. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys this but be careful while shaving. :D When you insert the grill you will have to rock it in a bit. I suggest sliding the right side in under the metal prongs of the frame and slide the grill in as far as it can go (touching the right end of the grill to the frame. Move the grill around a bit until it slides in. DON'T APPLY TOO MUCH PRESSURE. It's only plastic people! I took a picture and highlighted the areas which you may have to shave the plastic.
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step8.gif

Now replace the grill exactly how you took it off. Don't try to look at the clips and see where they go. It will make no sense until you put the framing with the insert back on the car. Slide the framing and grill back in the hood placing the top in first and then pushing the two bottom corners in place. WHEN YOU PUT THE FRAMING BACK IN REMEMBER TO SLIDE THE TOUNGE FOR THE HOOD LATCH THROUGH THE SECOND SLOT FROM THE TOP. The grill will sit in the hood fine with no clips or bolts holding it in place. Insert the clips into the necessary spots on the metal of the hood. You may have to adjust some of the clips to accommodate your new insert. If necessary. Tap on the clips gently with a hammer or pry on them with a screwdriver to get them tighter or wider to fit back in place. Once all the clips are in place all the bolts back in and you're ready to go.

Now you should look just like this....
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step9.gif

If it looks like this, you definitely did something wrong. Remove the grill and start over....
http://www.uglypeople.com/uploaded/6/ugly206.jpg

Denlasoul
12-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Nice write up. One question. It looks like you still have the intake opening cover (plastic thing on the passenger's side of the grille). Do you still have that mounted? If so, I would suggest you remove it. You'll have better airflow.

manny
12-14-2004, 07:34 AM
You may want to mention to feed the hood release latch through the new grille, BEFORE you re-insert it. ;)
Is the vertical strip too short at the top, where it meets the chrome frame?

ryhi
12-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Nice write up. One question. It looks like you still have the intake opening cover (plastic thing on the passenger's side of the grille). Do you still have that mounted? If so, I would suggest you remove it. You'll have better airflow.

more info please!

Denlasoul
12-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ryhi
more info please!
http://mr.gatsbury.freeservers.com/images/step1.gif
In this pic, in the upper right hand corner (ie the passenger's side of the grille), there is a plastic covering used to "block" the opening of the intake. It is used so that large amounts of water does not get in. I have taken mine off (I have a dual intake, plus I live in Seattle) and have never had any problems with excess water. Therefore, I suggest removing the cover so that a better flow of air can get into your airbox. :)

mr. gatsbury
12-14-2004, 09:03 AM

The plastic you see is part of the insert. My old grill had that little piece that I read about... But yes it is stationary and cannot be removed. I suppose if I had thought of it I would have been able to cut it out with the razor knife...

Originally posted by manny
You may want to mention to feed the hood release latch through the new grille, BEFORE you re-insert it. ;)
Is the vertical strip too short at the top, where it meets the chrome frame?

Damn, you guys don't miss anything!!!....lol.

Manny you are so right about that. Figures I'd forget to mention it. I forgot to slide it through and had to pull the whole grill out and start over when I finished the first time. The chrome matches up perfect. Infact the first time I had it in everything was flush, when I took it out for the hood release is when I botched it. I tightened the screw too much at the bottom and it pulled the insert down a bit. Notice some of the pictures were a little blurry? Well thats because it was so f***ing cold I couldn't stop my hands from shaking...lol.. I will re-adjust the grill when I get some warmer temp. outside...:D

jnolte
12-14-2004, 11:59 AM
yeehaw autoblz!!!!!

nice mang!

1DOPE230
12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
i just bought this grill too, from Autoblz. Thanks for the write up, but I'll have to wait until I get back from Iraq until I install it.

Rocky
12-14-2004, 11:06 PM
OEM MB advantagarde grille has no inserts to cover the the intake opening. Mine doesn't.

KenzBenz
12-15-2004, 12:11 AM
how big of a difference can it make? i know without the cover there is more airflow, but a significant difference or just a little.

mr. gatsbury
12-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by KenzBenz
how big of a difference can it make? i know without the cover there is more airflow, but a significant difference or just a little.

It's not significant Ken. It is only a small piece maybe 2.5 inches at it's widest part. It starts at the bottom maybe .5 inches. Blocks a very minimal amount of air. If you really care about the air flow that much get an open filter and a cold air box... look at the pic of the old and new one. The peice is much smaller...

manny
12-15-2004, 09:08 AM

It is there to prevent the direct entry of water, snow, etc.
Has absolutely " 0 " effect on airflow. ;)

kgreen
12-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Good job Mr. Gatsbury!
I have a question, did you encounter any problems while ordering this grille from Autoblz?
I have placed my order since last week, Dec 8th to be exact and have not received a word from them.
I have tried to contact Autoblz.com and have gotten no response from them.
Could you fill me in on their shipping process?
I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks

mr. gatsbury
12-17-2004, 08:38 AM
I contacted autoblz for you and let him know you were awaiting feedback. I wouldn't be too worried. The holidays are right around the corner so shipping may be a bit slower than usual. I am waiting for a book I ordered from ebay that hasn't arrived yet. They said it was 3 day shipping and it's been a little over a week. So the mail is moving quite slow right now. If there is anything else I can do to help let me know. The guy contacted me within a few hours everytime I had sent him an email.

jnolte
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kgreen
Good job Mr. Gatsbury!
I have a question, did you encounter any problems while ordering this grille from Autoblz?
I have placed my order since last week, Dec 8th to be exact and have not received a word from them.
I have tried to contact Autoblz.com and have gotten no response from them.
Could you fill me in on their shipping process?
I'd really appreciate your help.
Thanks

try email : info@autoblz.com

kgreen
12-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Awsome Mr. Gatsbury,
I appreciate your helping by contacting them for me.
I already got some feedback.
We'll see how long it takes for the item to arrive. I'm California.
Thanks once again.

autoblz
12-17-2004, 08:40 PM
hi there all
i just come back from taiwan for holiday
you can email me directly at fergus_46@hotmail.com or info@autoblz.com

for direct messanger you can message me at fergus_46@hotmail.com

many thanks

ricerokets4life
12-26-2004, 09:50 AM
on the stock grill insert, do the chrome pieces separate from the gray plastic frame insert?

i want to paint the stock grill insert all black and just leave the outer frame chrome but i need to know if it will look funny with different width ribs going across the grill (since the chrome on the insert is thicker than the gray frame insert)

Denlasoul
12-26-2004, 10:56 AM
when i got my grill insert, it was already a nice gloss black. i think some of the grills out there are the same way.

ricerokets4life
12-26-2004, 11:50 AM
when i got my grill insert, it was already a nice gloss black. i think some of the grills out there are the same way.

i mean the stock grill insert

mr. gatsbury
12-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ricerokets4life
on the stock grill insert, do the chrome pieces separate from the gray plastic frame insert?

i want to paint the stock grill insert all black and just leave the outer frame chrome but i need to know if it will look funny with different width ribs going across the grill (since the chrome on the insert is thicker than the gray frame insert)

The chrome pieces on the STOCK grill do slide out (center and 4 chrome slides). Problem for you is that when you remove the 4 slides the bar that goes across isn't there and the center just looks like the receiving end for the chrome piece. You would have to paint over the chrome pieces. It may not look perfect but It won't look right at all if you take the chrome slides out...

KenzBenz
12-28-2004, 09:42 AM
i dunno if it'll help but i painted my stock grill all black including frame so let me kno if you want to see so you can get some idea maybe

ricerokets4life
12-28-2004, 12:47 PM
i dunno if it'll help but i painted my stock grill all black including frame so let me kno if you want to see so you can get some idea maybe

that would be cool. please post a picture kenz!

htfan1
01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Hello mr. gatsbury

I was hoping to take another look at your grill installation pictures and was surprised to find the freeservers "no-link" message.

Looks like Freeservers has changed their posting policy.

mr. gatsbury
01-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by htfan1
Hello mr. gatsbury

I was hoping to take another look at your grill installation pictures and was surprised to find the freeservers "no-link" message.

Looks like Freeservers has changed their posting policy.

htfan1,

They should be working now. Turns out freeservers is totally worthless to me now because I only signed up to link pictures, figures....

autoblz
08-14-2005, 09:32 AM
anyone still need W202 S600 Grille
please email me at info@autoblz.com

giving additional 10% discount for www.club202.com members

autoblz
08-22-2005, 11:00 AM
you cannot find any price $50.00 + $25.00
Ebay selling at $55.00
while My website selling at $70+$25.00

only for club202.com members
thank you

94benZo
08-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by autoblz
you cannot find any price $50.00 + $25.00
Ebay selling at $55.00
while My website selling at $70+$25.00

only for club202.com members
thank you

I sent you some money and your emails stops....
what's going on??
email me please.

thanks

autoblz
08-27-2005, 08:29 AM
i don't think we never make any response
you can just email me back
we always response to all sort of emails

94benZo
08-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by autoblz
i don't think we never make any response
you can just email me back
we always response to all sort of emails

Still no email back... email me at bluvig@yahoo.com. I've emailed you numerous times.

Nicholas Winnie
09-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Is it just me or what because I can't see the pictures. It says remote linking forbidden for all pictures.

Nick

Renn 208
09-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Nicholas Winnie
Is it just me or what because I can't see the pictures. It says remote linking forbidden for all pictures.

Nick

I see that too...If Mr. Gat would be willing to send me the pictures, I can host them and have them available on the site.

sig425
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
autoblz sells the center section and beckers sells the whole grill? is that correct.

Is bekkers an easier install or better quality? They dont answer their phone.

mr. gatsbury
09-04-2005, 02:50 PM
hey guys, i haven't been to the site in a while, luckily i still have the pics... where should i send them?

john

gdt858
09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the DIY. I just purchased the same grill and am looking forward to installing this afternoon. Anyway you can repost the pictures? They are not being displayed right now. Thanks.

94benZo
09-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Got my grill couple days ago, and got it installed. pretty painless, it only took me about 30-40 min. I had to shave the top part of the grill to get the clips back on. make sure you fit it in though before making any modification.
For Autoblz: Great product! thanks

sig425
09-12-2005, 05:21 AM
I got a bekker. It is a really nice piece but it doesnt even come close to fitting. Its too long and too tall??? They said they would correct the problem but so far I have been charged for 2 grills and no problem solved :(

sig425
09-14-2005, 04:23 AM
the piece I got was for a w210. The replacement w202 grill is not so nice. See the write up I did under bekker grill install review.

mr. gatsbury
09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
i still have the pictures, web ready and everything. I will gladly email them to someone that can host them...

let me know

frankthetank_86
10-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Can anyone update the pics, they are not working anymore. Thanks.