PDA

View Full Version : Rear Seats

sleek_benzo
12-15-2004, 08:58 AM
my 1999 c280 sport doesn't have folding rear seats.. which really suck because i'm in need of some bass..

when i go into the trunk.. there's a sheet metal thats blocking the ski hole.. wondering if i can unbolt it??

more or less.. i want folding seats.. how can it be done without cutting into something or whatever...

(kind of a stupid question but hey.. :D )

audiophile
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
well the issue has been disscused many times.
if you don't want to cut any thing how are you going to make the seats fold down?:confused:

sleek_benzo
12-15-2004, 12:04 PM
i've search and read many threads which was made before.. from changing rear speakers to various others..

a more specific question:

can i change my non folding rear seat to a folding rear seat by simply getting a rear seat set and popping it in... :Ponder:

vbrock1137
12-15-2004, 12:31 PM
I used a sawzall to cut out the small area in the sheet metal behind the armrest, it was kind of difficult, but not too bad. You could just cut out the entire piece of sheet metal, but I believe it helps support the rear shelf, so you'd need to make some supports, which wouldn't be to hard if you have any experience with metalworking. As far as having the seats fold though, you would need to engineer hinges and a locking mechanism to get it to work, very complicated. I noticed a slight increase in the crispness of my sub when I cut out the hole, but not much at all. I'm only running like 200w though, I think it might make a bigger difference with more bass. I could write about how I did it in detail if you plan on doing it.

Good luck.

sleek_benzo
12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
so a quick pop in isn't possible then right??

i'm skeptical on cutting anything really.. but if its a must then its a must...

i just don't want to do all the custom work and then find out that not much bass is getting into the cabin..

DIY write is always welcome.. :D

djdoughboy
12-15-2004, 10:52 PM
there is no way to simply bolt the folding seat onto the non-folding seat shelf... and even if you could... there would still be that wall of metal behind it when you folded it down... so it would still require massive cutting...

sleek_benzo
12-16-2004, 07:13 AM
ahh.. this suck!!

guess it means custom fabrication..

its a 4 door.. why wouldn't if have folding seats.. shoot.. even hondas have folding seats.. :(

Brabus
12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
The whole folding seat thing didn't really get a lot of play with early w202...

stox
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
I will have to look at the sheet for my car, but if memory serves correct, it was a fairly expensive option. That may explain why it wasn't too popular.

vbrock1137
12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I didn't even know there was an option of a folding rear seat. Almost makes me want to try to do a conversion:D

sleek_benzo
12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
oh well.. i guess you make due with what you got...

hopefully without the rear speaker.. it'll give some output into the cabin.. i'm not really looking for extreme bass.. done and out with that..

GOAL: (3) 8w7 hopefully.. still undecided

http://www.jlaudio.com/Gallery/Upload/System5.jpg

stox
12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
I do know it was an option for the C36, but I can't say if it was available for the 280, though.

sleek_benzo
12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
1999 c280 sport.. i dont have it.. :(

Ashkan's C280
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
yes it was an option, I have read my owners book enough to want every damn option in there, it is possible to add heated seats in front , not sure about back, and muilt con seats on front, c280's also had asr and esp, something I wish I could add and folding seats, another option too hard to add....

nokia8860
12-16-2004, 06:44 PM
From the factory there are two very different rear panels depending if you have rear seats that fold or not.

This is because there is added reinforcement to be done to the surrounding sheet metal when you put a rather large hole through it. Only makes sense. So before you start hacking a rather large hole to access your trunk from the inside make sure you think about how youre gonna address the support issuse.

For refrence I have attached the photos of the 2 rear panels.

202 640 52 60 (Non folding seat with ski hole)

202 640 29 60 (Folding rear seats)

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album07/rear_seats.sized.jpg

Do folding rear seats come in handy? Oh you bet your egg nogs!

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album20/MVC_459F.jpg

It can fit a bunch of euro spec amg suspensions, lights, trunks and a hole lotta other goodies. Ive even carried a full C36 body kit in it as well.

Ashkan's C280
12-16-2004, 08:28 PM
now if we could only find someone to install it for us...

sleek_benzo
12-17-2004, 07:05 AM
damn i want folding seats!!!!

ummm... heated seats.. that sounds very nice also...

i have ASP but i find little use for it??

damn mercedes air tight trunk!! :mad:

you guys are going to make me spend alot of money!! :( me want many options

Ashkan's C280
12-17-2004, 12:02 PM
yeah me too, and there si so much more, I am still figureing everything out...